PDA

View Full Version : Which A3 inkjet printer is better, Epson or Canon?

pete
02-07-2006, 12:26 AM
Toying with the idea of getting an A3 photo inkjet printer after laying off for 1.5 years. My last printer was the Epson 2100.

Which current inkjet printer produces the most realistic photos? Speed is not an issue.

noordin
03-07-2006, 11:39 AM
Toying with the idea of getting an A3 photo inkjet printer after laying off for 1.5 years. My last printer was the Epson 2100.

Which current inkjet printer produces the most realistic photos? Speed is not an issue.

If price is not an issue, then I suggest Epson R2400 which cost RM4,200 (I think).

I have the Canon i9950 which is priced at RM2,900.

pete
03-07-2006, 12:27 PM
How is the quality of your i9950? Can match Lab prints (using Fuji Frontier)?

If price is not an issue, then I suggest Epson R2400 which cost RM4,200 (I think).

I have the Canon i9950 which is priced at RM2,900.

chinks
03-07-2006, 03:21 PM
Is HP completely out? Are they crap?

Steven Leong
03-07-2006, 03:29 PM
Well, pete.... copied from my replied on another thread... :

"
Pete, I would suggest that you make a trip to Epson's Large Format Printer distributor... look at their printers and get some test prints if you can. A Epson 4800 would probably fit your use quite well. Heard good things about the HP Designjet 130 is quite nice, a self-calibrating printer but I am not sure if it's available in good old Malaysia.

"

:)

pete
03-07-2006, 06:06 PM
My very first inkjet printer was HP. My previous companies also use HP for the laserjets etc.

My personal impression (from years ago) is that HP has little to zero support for Mac users (which I am one). I am sure that HP would have woken up from its slumber by now and realise a lot of working pros are on Mac OS. But they have "lost" me forever for their lack of foresight.

Is HP completely out? Are they crap?

pete
03-07-2006, 06:17 PM
Thanks, tyler. The Epson 4800 looks huge. The R1800 might suit my needs better. Any idea where is their showroom? Maybe should head down there to check their prints. :)

Well, pete.... copied from my replied on another thread... :

"
Pete, I would suggest that you make a trip to Epson's Large Format Printer distributor... look at their printers and get some test prints if you can. A Epson 4800 would probably fit your use quite well. Heard good things about the HP Designjet 130 is quite nice, a self-calibrating printer but I am not sure if it's available in good old Malaysia.

"

mohamadfazli
03-07-2006, 06:18 PM
u can head down to lowyat.. plaza.. there's a shop upstairs.. can't remember if they have the R1800 there..

I know i saw one in cathay photo Marina Square though :laugh:

ceo684
04-07-2006, 12:00 AM
Epson is good nowadays, canon seems to be over hyped IMO.

malek
04-07-2006, 12:21 AM
i heard that canon will come out with something new to replace the Canon i9950
cuba tunggu la 1 ke 2 bulan lagi..

mac
04-07-2006, 01:25 AM
Thanks, tyler. The Epson 4800 looks huge. The R1800 might suit my needs better. Any idea where is their showroom? Maybe should head down there to check their prints. :)

this is one of the epson reseller office just open in KL
Build East Graphics (Johor) Sdn. Bhd. (Co.No. 553699-T)

26, Jalan Petaling Utama 9, Taman Petaling Utama,
Batu 7, Jalan Klang Lama, 46000 Petaling Jaya,
Selangor Darul Ehsan, Malaysia.

Tel: +603 - 7784 8240 Fax: +603 - 7784 8241

the map is attach below, look for mr.tan

jefferi78
04-07-2006, 03:10 AM
Basically, many thought buying a printer is a small investment. Yes if you buy an ordinary home printer that cost below 1K with only A4 size printable and cd printing. That one is ideal.

To buy an A3 printable printer, cheapest is not the solution. The thing you need to see is what will you going to use if for. Once you buy an A3 printable printer just pray that you won't ended up printing A4 size paper as well you buy a cheaper A4 printable printer.

Most of the A3 printable printer i saw not really serves it original function except you're a printing company. As a a designer, i also thinking of buying an A3 printable printer for myself as it might make my profit margin higher. Yes if you have adequate amount of printing job, if not it just still a piece of junk where you use it to printi your job resume.

Any brand of A3 printable printer is not cheap. The better the more money you need to spend. The larger it can print the more money you need to put. Some printer can cost around 20-30K for the injet printer but one always have to aware that printer technology obselete more faster than a computer. Today we see 2880 dpi, next year we see 3k or 4k dpi with a new technology. And we will see the cartages of ink changes and the price went high.

Most of the printer product only have a life span in economic low cost production for one year. After going above one year the cost might be higher as manufacture produce lesser ink to compensate for the new technology of ink cartages. So, better make sure you earn back your printer cost within one year and that will be good.

Most of the expensive printer as Epson Stylus Pro 10600 do have a economic life span more than 1 - 5 years. No doubt that it cost around 20-30K depend to your negotiation with the supplier. With out notice that the ink catriges price and can hike around 20-30 percent a year. So, one need a target selling point to earn back the printer and even get a nominal profit for yourself.

I do believe that this post a bit out of topic. Still i think it would be nice if i can supply some knowledge of my printing experience before anyone make a big investment on a large format printing which it is for personal or project perbasis use. I think one should be more careful with their investment that can be use for others important use. One also need to take account of the cost of maintainance which few people know how to fix it and most of the supplier earn a hell lot from there.

There are others that can be considers, but if you have the financial strength of buying a good printer, why not get the large format printer such as Pro 7800, 9800 or even 10600 for your big printing company. Why just limits only to A3 why not go all the way to A0. For me, i just stick to have a good relationship with the printing company so that they might give me a good price for printing without me having to worried about ink and maintainance.

Last, which back to the main topic. My experience tell me that Epson print are more better that canon in inkjet technology with a price tag. :laugh:

mac
04-07-2006, 10:02 PM
i am so bad with printers i just sent out to the pro labs to do the job:laugh: :laugh:

pete
04-07-2006, 10:41 PM
Thanks, mac. The info will come in useful :)

this is one of the epson reseller office just open in KL
Build East Graphics (Johor) Sdn. Bhd. (Co.No. 553699-T)

26, Jalan Petaling Utama 9, Taman Petaling Utama,
Batu 7, Jalan Klang Lama, 46000 Petaling Jaya,
Selangor Darul Ehsan, Malaysia.

Tel: +603 - 7784 8240 Fax: +603 - 7784 8241

the map is attach below, look for mr.tan

Steven Leong
04-07-2006, 10:51 PM

Pete,

I have my reasons for recommending the 4800... it's wider than the 2400 has automatic sheet cutter... the R1800 is a consumer level printer that has neither the reliability nor the color accuracy as the professional range which starts from the 2400 upwards.

Anyway, if you really insist on something smaller, take the 2400 instead.

Invest on a good printer, pete... imagine selling prints to some client or showing your clients A3-size prints the same day as the shoot! Priceless, I tell ya! :)

mac
04-07-2006, 11:11 PM
Pete,

I have my reasons for recommending the 4800... it's wider than the 2400 has automatic sheet cutter... the R1800 is a consumer level printer that has neither the reliability nor the color accuracy as the professional range which starts from the 2400 upwards.

Invest on a good printer, pete... imagine selling prints to some client or showing your clients A3-size prints the same day as the shoot! Priceless, I tell ya! :)

you got a nick change?

ok i agree with Steven, the 4800 is a very good pro printer, not to mention a set of ink would cost rm1k for the bigger saiz ones.

the ink is Epson 220ml = RM279.00
for paper better get the roll form ones, coz its much cheaper.

i did a test print at BuildEast office, an A4 print.
the newer epson has a software that calculate the amount of ink used.
so my print was
Ink =RM1.29
Paper (semimatte 170gm) = RM1.93
total = RM3.22 for 1 A4 print out

this is good if u really wanna DIY, One Stop Center

pete
04-07-2006, 11:16 PM
haha... never thought abt selling prints to clients... but that's an idea. Normally when I am on assignments, the clients just want digital files to send off to the publishers.

But u have given me an idea.... hmm...

PS: What happened to tyler? :p

Pete,

maxby
04-07-2006, 11:17 PM
I have seen an Epson large format printer being used at Foto Daya using Ilford color management and Ilford Gallerie paper and was really impressed with the results....:)

mac
04-07-2006, 11:20 PM

i guess the main man from Aerosmiths (http://www.steven-tyler.net/) in no longer the in thing nowadays :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

maxby
04-07-2006, 11:27 PM

He has done a "canony"........:laugh:

pete
04-07-2006, 11:38 PM
Maybe there's a trend now for Forumers to emerge from their terrible Darth Vader suits and show their true friendly faces?
:p

Steven Leong
05-07-2006, 09:03 AM

Hehehe... so now we have a name for this, huh? :p

noordin
05-07-2006, 09:09 AM
Steven Leong
Death to all the Zooms!

Who are you? ................................... :laugh:

Steven Leong
05-07-2006, 12:31 PM
Who are you? ................................... :laugh:

Darth Noordin... I am who I am. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

BTW, was just over at BuildEast just now... nice new office they have got.

2400 ~RM4.3k
4800 ~RM9.7k

Ohh.. I think jeffri did mention this... these larger printers use much larger ink cartridges hence are more economical to run compared to the consumer (ahem... prosumer) versions. :)

pete
17-07-2006, 01:36 AM
Reading this review, the answer seems to be "Canon is better":

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/printers/canon-ipf5000.shtml

noordin
17-07-2006, 08:09 AM
So anyone wants to buy my Canon i9950? It's 1-year old. :p

cikgu
17-07-2006, 08:22 AM
so upgrading to what? :067:

noordin
17-07-2006, 08:29 AM
so upgrading to what? :067:

iPF5000lah..... :laugh:

berapa haranya aah............. :confused: :017:

jib
17-07-2006, 01:20 PM
IPF5000 is at USD1,950.00. This is a prograf printer.

There are two more new A3 printers by Canon - Pixma Pro9000 (USD499.95) and Pixma Pro9500 (USD849.00). First canon printers to earn pro status. Cartridges are new ChromaLife100.

All of them are not yet in Malaysian market.

mac
17-07-2006, 01:33 PM
IPF5000 is at USD1,950.00. This is a prograf printer.

There are two more new A3 printers by Canon - Pixma Pro9000 (USD499.95) and Pixma Pro9500 (USD849.00). First canon printers to earn pro status. Cartridges are new ChromaLife100.

All of them are not yet in Malaysian market.

canon is still way behind espon in the pro printer series

pete
17-07-2006, 02:46 PM
I think they know that, hence the new Pro series. If they can sell the printers/inks cheaper, and the prints r better, prosumers will still go back to Canon.

BTW bubblejet technology dun clog up as badly as Epson's pigment inks, according to their claim. I have always wasted lots of inks with Epson print heads clogging and having to clean head everytime. Wasted ink = wasted $.

canon is still way behind espon in the pro printer series

pete
23-08-2006, 01:55 AM
noordin, u serious abt selling your printer or just kidding?

So anyone wants to buy my Canon i9950? It's 1-year old. :p

noordin
23-08-2006, 07:23 AM
noordin, u serious abt selling your printer or just kidding?

I was keen on the IPF5000 until I saw it during the Festival at Chinese Assembly Hall recently. It's better than the similar Epson model, for sure but the size is huge. I mean huge and will need space and a seperate table. I have to look for space in my new house before I can decide on the new Canon. My ID layout is being done now and I should know soon enough. Sorry I can't tell you for sure right now.

pete
23-08-2006, 10:58 AM
noordin, they also have smaller versions in the Pixma PRO range.

More info here:
http://www.steves-digicams.com/pr/canon_02212006_pixmapro_pr.html

I was keen on the IPF5000 until I saw it during the Festival at Chinese Assembly Hall recently. It's better than the similar Epson model, for sure but the size is huge. I mean huge and will need space and a seperate table. I have to look for space in my new house before I can decide on the new Canon. My ID layout is being done now and I should know soon enough. Sorry I can't tell you for sure right now.

noordin
23-08-2006, 11:06 AM
noordin, they also have smaller versions in the Pixma PRO range.

More info here:
http://www.steves-digicams.com/pr/canon_02212006_pixmapro_pr.html

Very interesting indeed. This is just an announcement, will wait for the full test report.

Rainfinder
23-08-2006, 12:24 PM
The biggest setback for the Epson pro series like the 4800, 7800 and 9800, is the hassle in changing the black ink. Epson offers 2 types of black ink; the photo black PK and the Matt black MK. A lot of ink is flushed out during the swap, making it an expensive event and that prevent user from swapping black ink frequently.

But why would you want to swap black ink? Some matt papers, and including some fine art papers are best when using matt ink, while some paper shines on the PK ink. So, it depends on what you or your client need.

On the up side, ink in terms of ringgit per ml is cheaper on the pro machines than the A4 printers. Yes, roll paper is also cheaper compared with the A4 or A3 packs, provided you managed to find them. Build East is a joke when comes to paper, everything is out of stock. Called Epson Malaysia, and they will refere you to Build East.

I am trying to get papers from the US and HK at the moment. Yes, the galleria smooth pearl paper distributed by Daya is a semi-gloss paper that gives brilliant images on the Epson, a bit thin compared to the Epson Luster. Oh no, it is also out of stock as of yesterday.

I am using a 7800. My tenant moved out and leaved behind the 7800 to contra with the unpaid bills.:BangHead: :BangHead:

pete
23-08-2006, 02:26 PM
From my one-year experience with the Epson 2100, my findings are:
1. Frequent ink replacements and need to swap cartridges as mentioned by rainfinder (the new Canon Pro series allows ALL the ink cartridges to be installed, even though u might need to use only some of them, so no swapping is necessary).

2. Epson make their printers obsolete within 6 - 12 mths (with newer models, inks etc)

3. Ink carts tend to clog up unless u run them frequently.

4. Problems with metarism and bronzing with the 2100 which is pigment-based.

----

I hope with my intended switch to the Canon Pro series, these problems will not recur. Now I have to decide whether I should go for pigment or dye ink.

BTW I have used the Ilford Galerie paper which I find is pretty good.

jego
27-09-2010, 02:11 PM
I am also interested get a printer but whether i should get A2 Printer or A3 printer to design my own photo book. If i opt for A3 printer, from my understanding in this thread , there are 2 Brands discussed here and i wonder what happen to HP printer for photo?

The writers mentioned the darkside in Epson which are expensive ,also need to change black cartridge all the time and Ink clogging if seldom use. This is not peace of mind anymore. But i love what Epson can do which has a software to calculate the ink cost and paper cost. Is this real?

Anyway, i still hope to hear your opinion on this topic after abandoned so long.

jetfynn
27-09-2010, 02:25 PM
try epson 1390.

pointblank
27-09-2010, 02:34 PM
Still Epson and Canon are market leader and in the high-end a similar price range. Although HP has printers to compete with the both, these models are commonly not available in Malaysia.

On the discussion, 'which one is better', it is very subjective. It depends on your criteria, such as purchase price, consumables, support and so on. Which on are more important to you, apart from the fact that both can do a more than decent job for your output.

Realize that colour callibration plays a crucial role and so do the correct ICC profiles matching the paper. Oh, not too mention your colour consistency from camera to output, for these printers typical AdobeRGB.

RAD
27-09-2010, 03:31 PM
Good thread. Keep it going.

Have any one of you guys used the Epson/Canon pro models with a continuous ink supply system (CISS)?

Lots of negative feedbacks here in the UK for Epson printers due to the resin based dye clogging the printerhead. Must be the cold weather!

Any experiences to share?

Cheers!!

fstop
27-09-2010, 08:52 PM
What are the good A3 or bigger printers for black and white which are available in Malaysia?

jego
27-09-2010, 09:12 PM
I would love to do a landscape or panaroma print on DIY Album, nothing beats large photos. If i get A3 printer than the system of binding may be using the thermal heat Im suppose like Uni binder . If A2 printer, i need to fold or crease the sheet into two for gluing , am i right? than i need the machine to create crease and spine machine?

Any one got a workflow on binding large format print.

pointblank
27-09-2010, 09:20 PM
What are the good A3 or bigger printers for black and white which are available in Malaysia?

As mentioned in this thread. Canon claims the Pro 9500 Mark II has been designed specifically for black and white. As quoted from their website: '3 Monochrome inks for truly artistic black and white photos'.

I am not familiair with Epson, check their website.