PDA

View Full Version : Tips to clean Car Road Tax Label residual sticky adhesive

Fang
27-11-2010, 09:00 PM
If you ever try to replace your road tax labels recently ?

The poor quality of the recent road tax labels means that there are pesky residual adhesive or glue sticking to your windscreen or worse your expensive V-cool film. They are almost impossible to clean ???

Face this problem recently and would like to share this useful cleaning tips that I received from my wife.

All you have to do is to use "OIL" - any type of oil - I used cooking oil.

First, peel-off the old road tax label. The adhesive will remain on the windscreen.

Second, used the oil and rub on the adhesive affected area only. use more oil if it is difficult and rub on the affected surface hard. The adhesive should come-off.

Next, use a soapy cloth and clean the windscreen - make sure you clean the oil off the windscreen and dry the windscreen.

Final, peel carefully as per instruction on the new road tax label and stick them to the windscreen.

Its easy...try it. Good luck

ally9970
27-11-2010, 09:05 PM
Thanks for sharing, I face the same problem, will try the method...

Fang
27-11-2010, 09:13 PM
You're welcomed. I faced these problems for the past couple of years - got 3 cars to replace yearly; so I know the frustration.

Did not have problem with the first few year when these labels were introduced ? As usual the quality deteriorate and no one in JPJ seems to bother. The supply contractor is getting away with murder ???

Thanks for sharing, I face the same problem, will try the method...

napee
29-11-2010, 02:32 AM
next time, try goo gone. u can find at hardware shops and departmental store

works for all types of adhesive residue

Tiger Canon
29-11-2010, 04:54 AM
WD40 always works magic

jusoh
29-11-2010, 06:27 AM
Tq for sharing

zepirate
29-11-2010, 07:55 AM
To avoid this, I stick it to a clear plastic which is then stuck on the front windscreen.

napee
29-11-2010, 09:33 AM
To avoid this, I stick it to a clear plastic which is then stuck on the front windscreen.

which will land u into trouble if caught by JPJ.

this defeats the purpose of having the road tax as a sticker in the first place

dacmo
29-11-2010, 09:36 AM
which will land u into trouble if caught by JPJ.

this defeats the purpose of having the road tax as a sticker in the first place

No it doesn't.

webster
29-11-2010, 09:47 AM
WD40 always works magic

side note on WD40
i used to use WD40 as a general purpose lube, but experience and feedback from friends shows that WD40 is very caustic and will eat into certain rubber or plastic.
i prefer teflon based lube.

napee
29-11-2010, 11:32 AM
No it doesn't.

u mean confirmed by JPJ it's allowed?

trust me, even not now, when it's widerspread and one day someone high up notice it, they'll have operation just for this. as usual with JPJ. they will only react when things are getting out of hand :w

remember the reason why they introduced the sticker type road tax, they want to avoid it being removed easily and transferred around. if it's stuck on piece of plastic, it defeats the whole purpose of the sticker. if i am the JPJ boss, i would have that handled now. so be warned :7)

jesster
29-11-2010, 01:02 PM

me too.... :)

thanks for the sharing of the tips too. ^^

photodelics
29-11-2010, 01:09 PM
thanks!

instead of sticking the bare road tax label which will result in sticky gluey windscreen, use those road tax holder.

stick the road tax to the holder, and stick the holder to the windscreen. the holder can be reuse.

the holder is like a thick plastic that kinda stick to glasses. can get mugen/myvi/etc names on it. easily removable, with no sticky gluey stuff on the glass.

the holder material is similar to the Photomalaysia Car sticker.

rhizomegrazz
29-11-2010, 09:20 PM
easy.. use petrol... vr efficient way getting rid of the adhesive

RAD
29-11-2010, 09:35 PM
Zippo lighter fluid also can use. Many arts student use this to clean working surfaces.

Cheers!!

dacmo
29-11-2010, 09:43 PM

trust me, even not now, when it's widerspread and one day someone high up notice it, they'll have operation just for this. as usual with JPJ. they will only react when things are getting out of hand :w

remember the reason why they introduced the sticker type road tax, they want to avoid it being removed easily and transferred around. if it's stuck on piece of plastic, it defeats the whole purpose of the sticker. if i am the JPJ boss, i would have that handled now. so be warned :7)

But you're not.

zepirate
30-11-2010, 07:37 AM

Yes, you are right - the reason they introduced it is to avoid sharing and forgery. However, according to the RTA (RoadTransportAct), the requirement is for the r/tax disc to be prominently displayed on the windscreen - not how it is stuck. The arguement is on the definition of "manner and subject to such conditions as may be prescribed". So anyone practicing this method, do so at your own risk. I've gone thru many road-blocks and so far so good.

Display Of Motor Vehicle Licence ( Section 20 of RTA1987)

(1) Every motor vehicle licence granted under section 16 other than a motor vehicle licence granted in respect of a motor cycle or an invalid carriage licence shall be fixed to and exhibited on the vehicle in respect of which it is issued, in the manner and subject to such conditions as may be prescribed.

(2) No person shall (either by writing, drawing or in any other manner) alter, deface, mutilate or add anything to any motor vehicle licence, nor shall any person exhibit on any motor vehicle any vehicle licence which has already been altered, defaced, mutilated or added to as aforesaid, or upon which the figures or particulars have been illegible or of which the colour has become altered, by fading or otherwise, nor shall any person exhibit any colourable imitation of any such licence.

(3) Any person who contravenes this section shall be guilty of an offence.

gchee
30-11-2010, 08:13 AM
I use hand sanitizer, I have a mini size stowed in my car. Really works, put small amount on tissue and rub away.

eDeNMM
30-11-2010, 08:55 AM
thanks!

instead of sticking the bare road tax label which will result in sticky gluey windscreen, use those road tax holder.

stick the road tax to the holder, and stick the holder to the windscreen. the holder can be reuse.

the holder is like a thick plastic that kinda stick to glasses. can get mugen/myvi/etc names on it. easily removable, with no sticky gluey stuff on the glass.

the holder material is similar to the Photomalaysia Car sticker.

Those plastic road tax holder expand and contract at different rate compared to the road tax label. It is meant more as a cosmetic to be placed on top of the road tax label after the road tax labed was sticked to the windscreen. I did that before and after 2 weeks it looks horrible. In the end every time I want to stick my road tax I just visit a friendly car accesories & tinting shop and ask for a small piece of tint.

JebatJr
30-11-2010, 02:07 PM
Eventhough all of us succesfully clean the sticky glue.....thousands out there have their windscreen dirty with old roadtax sticker....worst...their tint layer scratched....I still prefer to use 2nd plastic layer.....the new roadtax is very fragile, they can be tear off even before we stick to ur windscreen.....troublesome!

I have a question....he he he....can we clean old tinted layer using above method?

LoctorMayat
30-11-2010, 02:38 PM
I think removing road tax sticky gum is the easy part....

the really hard one... is how in the world do I remove the smart tag holder ????? the 3M double side tape is damn sticky...

shorty69
30-11-2010, 02:51 PM
If you ever try to replace your road tax labels recently ?

The poor quality of the recent road tax labels means that there are pesky residual adhesive or glue sticking to your windscreen or worse your expensive V-cool film. They are almost impossible to clean ???

Face this problem recently and would like to share this useful cleaning tips that I received from my wife.

All you have to do is to use "OIL" - any type of oil - I used cooking oil.

First, peel-off the old road tax label. The adhesive will remain on the windscreen.

Second, used the oil and rub on the adhesive affected area only. use more oil if it is difficult and rub on the affected surface hard. The adhesive should come-off.

Next, use a soapy cloth and clean the windscreen - make sure you clean the oil off the windscreen and dry the windscreen.

Final, peel carefully as per instruction on the new road tax label and stick them to the windscreen.

Its easy...try it. Good luck

actually, u also can using wax or polish

hagra
30-11-2010, 03:02 PM
why people like to stick it on the windscreen?

buy the RM5 Roadtax Sticker at uptown/pasar malam/whatever..
place it between yor windscreen & roadtax.. easy job.. hurrrmmm... T_T

BTW, this the thread of how to remove, not to stickon hehe.... sorry ya.. hehe

RAD
30-11-2010, 04:06 PM
I think removing road tax sticky gum is the easy part....

the really hard one... is how in the world do I remove the smart tag holder ????? the 3M double side tape is damn sticky...

Loctor, use a hairdryer and some tali pancing or thick threads. You heat the double sided tape first until it is soft, then use the tali pancing to cut through. The remaining residue can be further removed using the heating technique. Finally, use Zippo lighter fluid or the like to clean the sticky stuff.

This is the same technique used to remove other sticky bits on the car bodywork like emblems, decals etc.