PDA

View Full Version : Ceiling fans

Sushimonster
13-09-2011, 10:06 AM
I'm looking for ceiling fans for my new home, all the while I have been using Panasonic fans. I found the remote control type not so good, just about 7 years old and it's already making creaking noises.

Currently considering Alpha brand. Any one has any experience on Alpha ceiling fans? The remote control models are generally cheaper than the Panasonic versions... All shops say Alpha fans comes with 3 years warranty on the motor while panasonic only 1 year warranty.

Appreciate your opinion. Thanks.:O0

photogenie
13-09-2011, 10:22 AM
I fitted my present house with Alpha fans a few years ago - 4 nos. 5-bladed and 4 nos. 4-bladed. Just after the 1-year warranty period, the remote control cannot work, one after another. I did replace one set of the receiver. Each time the technician comes, they charged RM60, receiver another RM80, if I can remember correctly. I have given up on the remote. I have converted two with KDK regulator. One fan is out, waiting for repair. Another just moves at one speed, still bearable. There is no problem with the motor. It works just fine. It's the remote that is hopeless. These were the Alpha fans I bought a few years ago. I have no idea about today's Alpha fan but I am not going to be a fan of Alpha anymore. Hopefully, they have made some improvement. Just to share my experience since you ask.

maxby
13-09-2011, 10:22 AM
I use KDK....non remote control type. Old fashioned but it is still the best.

Sushimonster
13-09-2011, 10:31 AM
I fitted my present house with Alpha fans a few years ago - 4 nos. 5-bladed and 4 nos. 4-bladed. Just after the 1-year warranty period, the remote control cannot work, one after another. I did replace one set of the receiver. Each time the technician comes, they charged RM60, receiver another RM80, if I can remember correctly. I have given up on the remote. I have converted two with KDK regulator. One fan is out, waiting for repair. Another just moves at one speed, still bearable. There is no problem with the motor. It works just fine. It's the remote that is hopeless. These were the Alpha fans I bought a few years ago. I have no idea about today's Alpha fan but I am not going to be a fan of Alpha anymore. Hopefully, they have made some improvement. Just to share my experience since you ask.

Thanks for sharing... I didn't think about the possibilities of remotes breaking down. One wouldn't have expected the remotes to screw up....

Sushimonster
13-09-2011, 10:48 AM
I use KDK....non remote control type. Old fashioned but it is still the best.

I heard KDK and Panasonic are the same now. Pana manufactures for KDK.

C-Fu
14-09-2011, 01:05 AM
Why would ceiling fans need remote? I very, very rarely need to change the fan speed to other than Medium. I set to medium, and make sure it automatically turns on whenever I tekan the switch on my wall.

Sushimonster
14-09-2011, 11:40 AM
oh ya, does Alpha do that? or must you switch on and then tekan remote to get it turn on? My old Pana is default at medium speed, so when u turn on the switch it'll turn on at medium speed without using the remote.

Jay-Z
14-09-2011, 04:00 PM
I've been using Alpha & Elmark ceiling fans with the speed controller remotes for more than a year now and have not encountered any of the problems described above thus far.

seethoe
15-09-2011, 12:14 AM
...my 3 alpha fans remote controls kaput...i modified it to manual, old style ...dun really trust the remotes for ceiling fans...

benjihoney
15-09-2011, 12:19 AM
I transfer my old fans from the old house bought since 1984 and still running strong in my present house...its National !!

prchunter
15-09-2011, 01:23 AM
I had a 10 years plus old KDK celing fan with remote running, coincidently the motor died last month, took it to KDK, told me model already obsolute, brought it over to Pana for a second opinion, got it repair under 50.00 parts and labor.....

chinks
15-09-2011, 08:16 AM
Why would ceiling fans need remote? I very, very rarely need to change the fan speed to other than Medium. I set to medium, and make sure it automatically turns on whenever I tekan the switch on my wall.

It's a lot more convenient to install if you don't previously already have a wall mounted speed rheostat. It's either remote, an unsightly wire extending all the way down to the speed dial on the wall, or you hammer-drill the wall all the way to hide that wire.

Sushimonster
15-09-2011, 09:36 AM
I've been using Alpha & Elmark ceiling fans with the speed controller remotes for more than a year now and have not encountered any of the problems described above thus far.

Ya that's what I thought... I mean how hard is it to make remotes right?

...my 3 alpha fans remote controls kaput...i modified it to manual, old style ...dun really trust the remotes for ceiling fans...

Couldn't you just buy replacement remotes?

I transfer my old fans from the old house bought since 1984 and still running strong in my present house...its National !!

Yes, I agree. National ROCKS but I can't say the same for the new Panas......

I've got a 20 year old National split aircon, that still works! despite not servicing it ... at all. :P

I had a 10 years plus old KDK celing fan with remote running, coincidently the motor died last month, took it to KDK, told me model already obsolute, brought it over to Pana for a second opinion, got it repair under 50.00 parts and labor.....

Ya there's proof... KDKs are actually Panas. :D

It's a lot more convenient to install if you don't previously already have a wall mounted speed rheostat. It's either remote, an unsightly wire extending all the way down to the speed dial on the wall, or you hammer-drill the wall all the way to hide that wire.

Very good point there.

seethoe
18-09-2011, 02:36 PM
Couldn't you just buy replacement remotes?

yea, but when all three fails on you, it doesn't gives you much confident. maybe they have improved....

photogenie
18-09-2011, 05:19 PM
When a remote fails, it could be the transmitter or the receiver or both. If it happens to be both, and added the cost the technician is going to charge for labour, you are on the way to getting a brand new wired ceiling fan. The wired type has proven to be a durable workhorse for years, even decades, as can be seen in some old coffee shops with a semi-spherical motor housing.

mangkor
18-09-2011, 08:59 PM
National is good. the one on my living room has been in operation in years without any trouble (I reckon how old is the fan while it was already there before I came in to this house 14 years ago)

chinks
18-09-2011, 09:32 PM
National??? Became Panasonic 14 years ago. :D)

mangkor
18-09-2011, 09:40 PM
National??? Became Panasonic 14 years ago. :D)

hallo kawan... that one already there before I occupy this house 14 years ago.. read carefully lahh... meaning that one is very old oledi before the re-branding by Matsu****a... kihkihkih

chinks
18-09-2011, 10:12 PM
hallo kawan... that one already there before I occupy this house 14 years ago.. read carefully lahh... meaning that one is very old oledi before the re-branding by Matsu****a... kihkihkihI was only kidding... the name transformation only took place from 2004, so it's not 14 years. However, in case people start going out looking for the ever reliable National brand ceiling fan, it'll now be under the Panasonic name.

mangkor
18-09-2011, 11:49 PM
heheheh... the best of ceiling fan as far I know is GEC, a brand which synonym with household electrical appliances 40 years ago . the one installed at my office I think was there since the 60's or 70's. only last month it was kaput after long life in service. too bad it was not available anymore in our market after Japanese products came to our shore with cheaper price long time ago.

Sushimonster
19-09-2011, 02:02 PM
thanks all for the feedback.

Who remembers .... USHA fans? ... those are really durable fans ...

Sushimonster
19-09-2011, 05:46 PM
I was at a friends home and they use new alpha remote control fans (current model). Very powerful and surprisingly quiet. Also noted that at max speed the balance is good, it doesn't vibrate like my panasonic fan. I also had a chance to see the remote, smaller remote controller than my panasonic fan. Speed 1 is slowest and speed 5 is fastest. So it's not screwed up as in 5 slowest and 1 fastest :)

chinks
19-09-2011, 06:29 PM
Where does Alpha come from? Are they Malaysian?

Sushimonster
19-09-2011, 11:57 PM
I guess so.... http://www.alphamalaysia.com/

chinks
20-09-2011, 12:01 AM
I hear a lot of good things about alpha. Kudos to the home grown company. :)

Sushimonster
26-09-2011, 02:30 PM
Cross my fingers, the deal is sealed already. 9 alpha fans for my new place....

vash_h
26-09-2011, 11:24 PM
well, panasonic fans has 90% market share for a really good reason..

KDK is a good brand as well.. last long.

alpha.. well.. good luck.

nel
27-09-2011, 09:55 AM
... curious ... is Nasional the fan brand still around? ... :-) ...

Sushimonster
27-09-2011, 11:14 AM
well, panasonic fans has 90% market share for a really good reason..

KDK is a good brand as well.. last long.

alpha.. well.. good luck.

Panasonic & KDK , I've been using for the last 7 years. Both remote type and regulator type. Sorry to say I'm not too impressed coz my kdk remote fan is making creaking noises, the same is happening to my panasonic remote fan. The panasonic regulator type fans, they make noises too, all kinds of noise. From kukkukuk noises to some times dungdungdung noise. Mind you these are less than 4 years old fans. I also cannot help but notice how it wobbles about when it's running. They may have had a good past track record...but I'm disappointed, honestly.

The latest range of panasonic remote fans,... sorry to say they are expensive RM350 - RM550 and not so pretty to look at.... they look monstrous and plasticky (gawd! what's with panasonic and all that plastic!) if I may exaggerate a bit.

Panasonic remote fan

Alpha remote fan, and this is just one of the many choices

... curious ... is Nasional the fan brand still around? ... :-) ...

Matsu****a did a rebranding exercise, about a decade ago, They merged all their previous product brand names, National/Panasonic/Technics into Panasonic. Technics broke off to be on their own (if not mistaken) making electronic music instruments... but they have not seen much success. They were literally slayed dead by giants like Yamaha and Roland. If you were out to buy an electronic piano would you go buy a Technics piano or a Yamaha piano?

zailan175
27-09-2011, 11:24 AM
KDK,Panasonic,National is the same company only the brand is different. I worked there in the Motor appliance department which produces fans, vacuum cleaner and blender.....its only the brand thats difference. Using 5 alpha fan in my new home now and still going strong.

Alpha is known for its design a lot of choices :D while panasonic is known for thier brand and quality but i have used the remote ceiling fan before its not so long lasting as it use to be

Sushimonster
27-09-2011, 11:35 AM
KDK,Panasonic,National is the same company only the brand is different. I worked there in the Motor appliance department which produces fans, vacuum cleaner and blender.....its only the brand thats difference. Using 5 alpha fan in my new home now and still going strong.

You work for panasonic in the motor appliance dept and you use alpha fans in your own home. That speaks volumes!! :D :D :D

Alpha is known for its design a lot of choices :D while panasonic is known for thier brand and quality but i have used the remote ceiling fan before its not so long lasting as it use to be

Exactly my experience with it..... they don't make them like the old National brand any more .... unfortunately.

zailan175
27-09-2011, 01:33 PM
You work for panasonic in the motor appliance dept and you use alpha fans in your own home. That speaks volumes!! :D :D :D

Exactly my experience with it..... they don't make them like the old National brand any more .... unfortunately.

LOL worked there for 9 years last time. now not working there anymore lol.........the only reason i bought the fan from them is due to staff purchase lol

Sushimonster
27-09-2011, 02:25 PM
LOL worked there for 9 years last time. now not working there anymore lol.........the only reason i bought the fan from them is due to staff purchase lol

so u're the best guy to ask! and I've got the answer from you already :D

Wanikon
27-09-2011, 03:11 PM
heheheh... the best of ceiling fan as far I know is GEC, a brand which synonym with household electrical appliances 40 years ago . the one installed at my office I think was there since the 60's or 70's. only last month it was kaput after long life in service. too bad it was not available anymore in our market after Japanese products came to our shore with cheaper price long time ago.

GEC ceiling fan - one unit installed at my parent's house since 1976 till now it still working strong, motor has no krekk krekk sounds except the regulator been replaced with other type. Their ball bearings are really good..

Sushimonster
27-09-2011, 04:35 PM
GEC ceiling fan - one unit installed at my parent's house since 1976 till now it still working strong, motor has no krekk krekk sounds except the regulator been replaced with other type. Their ball bearings are really good..

Yup they are on par with USHA brand ... I've seen some which have been serving since 1960s without break down or repairs. The regulators are so old and yellowed yet they still work flawlessly!

My panasonic remote,.. haiz... hardly 7 years old, krek krek krek already... KDK also same ....

jetfynn
28-09-2011, 07:27 PM
Beli jer......

mangkor
28-09-2011, 09:02 PM
hahahaha... good luck with your new ceiling fans. name it Alpha ka, Panasonic ke, KDK ke, it just an electric household appliances which has moving parts. moving parts means wear & tear. as time passing by, regardless the brand, it will worn off jugak one day... ekekeke

i don't think there is durable stuff like the things built in the 70's lasts till today. those good ol days are over. something like people says Mercedes is very durable. yes it is but it only applies to the old model like W124. the newer model is not. 5 years in service is just enough to swallow big amount of money for maintenance due to wear & tear parts. i got a customer with W211 spend almost a same amount of money to buy another W211 just for repair and maintenance.

the logic is, if the manufacturer makes a product that can last a lifetime, how to make money harr??? their workers also need salary like us too but if the product is not selling because the goods are so good so that nobody wants to replace them for the next 20 years, apa mau makan harr??? ehehehehe

Sushimonster
29-09-2011, 08:46 AM
Beli jer......

Beli d lah!

hahahaha... good luck with your new ceiling fans. name it Alpha ka, Panasonic ke, KDK ke, it just an electric household appliances which has moving parts. moving parts means wear & tear. as time passing by, regardless the brand, it will worn off jugak one day... ekekeke

i don't think there is durable stuff like the things built in the 70's lasts till today. those good ol days are over. something like people says Mercedes is very durable. yes it is but it only applies to the old model like W124. the newer model is not. 5 years in service is just enough to swallow big amount of money for maintenance due to wear & tear parts. i got a customer with W211 spend almost a same amount of money to buy another W211 just for repair and maintenance.

the logic is, if the manufacturer makes a product that can last a lifetime, how to make money harr??? their workers also need salary like us too but if the product is not selling because the goods are so good so that nobody wants to replace them for the next 20 years, apa mau makan harr??? ehehehehe

I'm not disagreeing, the good ol days are definitely over.

To me Merce and BMWs are not in the "reliable" category hahahaha!

zailan175
29-09-2011, 09:05 AM
well alpha service and sales plant is in jalan kebun kelang the show room present all the model they have.........not forgetting thier home shower. if you call technician to repair the fans it will cost more money. I will take down the fan my self and send it over to them in case of any problem........no worries :D

Sushimonster
29-09-2011, 12:06 PM
well alpha service and sales plant is in jalan kebun kelang the show room present all the model they have.........not forgetting thier home shower. if you call technician to repair the fans it will cost more money. I will take down the fan my self and send it over to them in case of any problem........no worries :D

I also took their uber sexy rainshower water heater. :)

Iskandar Taib
24-02-2013, 10:38 AM
Here is what you REALLY REALLY WANT: ;-)

http://tailwinds.com/tiwaaicefan.html

Iskandar

Iskandar Taib
24-02-2013, 10:43 AM
Panasonic & KDK , I've been using for the last 7 years. Both remote type and regulator type. Sorry to say I'm not too impressed coz my kdk remote fan is making creaking noises, the same is happening to my panasonic remote fan. The panasonic regulator type fans, they make noises too, all kinds of noise. From kukkukuk noises to some times dungdungdung noise. Mind you these are less than 4 years old fans. I also cannot help but notice how it wobbles about when it's running. They may have had a good past track record...but I'm disappointed, honestly.

Hmmm.. Don't you have to "tarok minyak" every so often? With airconditioners every few months someone had to come and service the thing, maybe the same is the case for these fancy new fans?

Iskandar