PDA

View Full Version : How to setup Streamyx?

khoking
22-12-2006, 08:27 PM
My sister has subscribed to Streamyx since many months back, but wasn't able to use it as without PC at home.

Two months ago I ordered a Dell PC for her, but still she and I both don't know how to setup Streamyx connection.

She already have:

ADSL modem
Line registered with Streamyx
Streamyx username and password

Do I need to setup something in the PC? I thought of setting up a dial up connection to dial to Streamyx, but how?

Any help is much appreciated...

wasabi
22-12-2006, 08:42 PM
can u access to firmware ?

khoking
22-12-2006, 08:46 PM
can u access to firmware ?

yes. I think the modem is a very old ADSL one that telekom gave her... :glare:

ikelah
22-12-2006, 08:51 PM
1. set up the home environment network
2. then you have to call them to activate the port. there is a toll free number 1300-88-9515.
then they will ask you weather the dsl light is on, blinking or stable.
3. if you are using win xp it will be autodail.

but most of the time, you cant setup on your own, eventhough everything is in order as needed. you have to engage this 'telekom contractor' and withRM50/RM75(i m not sure now), they will check and what is most important is "his phone call". that was my experience with my sister, just a simple phone call.

good luck

khoking
22-12-2006, 08:55 PM
I did try call the toll free number early this month, and it goes to voice saying that streamyx is under ganguan...then nothing... :sad:

My sister is now in Miri, anybody know who can she call to setup the line properly? Wasting money each day as she has contracted to pay the line for two years...

beyond
22-12-2006, 09:01 PM
First question before answers to ur question. The place where ur sister staying now, she has a phone line rite? Have telekom opened a port for her telephone line when she got her acc. i.e Is the phone line streamyx-able.

If yes to that..Then u may :
-double click on my network connection icon
-click on view network connections
-click on create new connection
-a poup window will appear
-Click next
-Select connect to internet
-Click next
-Select set up my connection manually
-Click next
-Select connect using a broadband connection that requires a username and password
-Click next
-Type in Streamyx
-Type username and password and repeat password
-Click Finish

After that ..Double click on the streamyx icon
-Right click and select properties
-Click on the networking tab
-Double click on internet protocol
-Click on the 'use the following DNS server adressess
- Type 202.188.0.133 in the prefered DNS section
-Type 202.188.1.5 in the alternet DNS server section

U are good to go now..

PS: If her current phone line Streamyx port not opened..Then cannot online ler..Eventhough she has a valid username and password..Cos the DSL light wont blink. If port opened..The DSL light will be stable.

wasabi
22-12-2006, 09:10 PM
beyond, if i got 4 PC, can i use ur method? heheheheh

beyond
22-12-2006, 09:14 PM
beyond, if i got 4 PC, can i use ur method? heheheheh

Four Pc also can use the same method if u connect ONE and Use ONE unit at a time..Else just use one to connect via router and use the other 3 via LAN. OR best..Just get a wifi router. Configure it once and u ll never bother with the issue of connection. :)

Freaky
22-12-2006, 10:15 PM
There should be an installation disk that came with the modem. On there is a dial up software that dials up streamyx.

You also need to set your computer home network up. Just follow the setup wizard and diagrams available.

If that fails, get a mac.

dwRK
22-12-2006, 10:15 PM
ya...first thing first...check got port/dsl light or not...

1. power up the modem...don't plug anything into it...it should go through a self check routine...wait until completed...shouldn't take more than 20 sec.

2. plug in the tel line...check if the DSL light on the modem blink or light up...

3. if DSL light lit up...you're in luck...can proceed to configure your connection. if not, you gota call streamyx technical assistance...tell them takde DSL light...

let us know results of step 3 then we can try further...no point working on the pc configuration yet...actually Windows XP don't need much configuring anyway...

i set up my modem to "router mode" to auto connect when i plug in the tel line...lazy to log in manually...so bypass all the connection step...but first thing first ya...

morpheuse
22-12-2006, 11:58 PM
if u registered properly you will get an email on how to setup the line. all the above guide would work fine, but you must first activate the adsl line either by sms-ing or calling them (office hours only)

ezralimm
23-12-2006, 03:11 AM
There are two main ways to setup streamyx.

1) your computer connects to the streamyx network via the modem
2) your modem connects to the streamyx network

The first method is recommended by TMnet. You can even use their autodialer (comes in CD). I dont recommend it.

I'm using the latter. 24/7 connectivity (ie. modem is connected all the time)

To do that, you have to access your modem's firmware (usually 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.10) and setup your modem to connect to streamyx. In other words, your modem keeps your steamyx username and password.

Your PC then connects to the modem and detects it as a regular 100mbps LAN. That way, you dont have to bother about "connecting" and "Disconnecting". Its "always on" to the end user - the moment you on your PC.

Im using the cheapest RM130 ADSL modem i could find in LY plaza...its been on 24/7 connected to the cheapest wifi router i could find (around RM100). It's been up and running with no major problems for the past 3 years :114: Guess i've been lucky :)

ikelah
23-12-2006, 04:57 AM
if you are using win xp, you dont need to install any sofeware even from the telecoms, xp has a builtin autodialer. setting the network always on is only a setting stating there is no need of dialup. there is no need to change the ip/tcp config. let it be in auto detect. setting if only that are has problem and need certain ip setting from the telecoms. you need to call the telecoms to open the streamyx port eventhough ur phone line is working, they need to activate the jumper. lastly, the have a controller at their server which they need to activate, thats why the 'contractor' made the call.

noordin
23-12-2006, 05:04 AM
Don't you have to call Telekom for them to send a Streamyx technician to do the first set-up. It's free service.

ikelah
23-12-2006, 07:46 AM
Don't you have to call Telekom for them to send a Streamyx technician to do the first set-up. It's free service.

it doesnt work that way even though that ought to be it. i have asked friends about it, the simple phone call from the 'contractor' did the trick. it just wont connect even though(if u have a router) you can go networking with other pcs', wired or wireless. :(

wasabi
23-12-2006, 08:08 AM
Four Pc also can use the same method if u connect ONE and Use ONE unit at a time..Else just use one to connect via router and use the other 3 via LAN. OR best..Just get a wifi router. Configure it once and u ll never bother with the issue of connection. :)
u mean the other 3 PC also "double click on my network connection icon....

or one via router and 3 via Lan? then modem via router or lan?

beyond
23-12-2006, 10:48 AM
OK..Lets make things simple. Lets say I have Pc
-A
-B
-C

Pc A B and C, all of them have Bitcomet. I wanna download things fast via a straight streamyx internet connection, not by router. Coz if download by router, it is slower.

Therefore...If today I wanna use PC A, I can just plug in the line and just dial straight, which means, I m using pc A only to log onto the internet, PC B and C cannot.

khoking
23-12-2006, 10:52 AM
Thanks guys.

The light is blinking, is that means the line is not opened yet? My sister is in Miri...

ezralimm
23-12-2006, 11:59 AM
Thanks guys.

The light is blinking, is that means the line is not opened yet? My sister is in Miri...

Yup.

Line blinking means modem is trying to connect to the DSL line.

Steps are:

1) connect to ADSL line.
2) authenticate via PPP. (this is when ur username / pwd is important)
3) establish DNS (i dont know about other ppl, but the auto-discovery of DNS seems to work fine with my connection here in SHah Alam)