PDA

View Full Version : Camera grip turns "sticky"

D3s_Man
22-03-2009, 09:40 AM
My D70 and F65, with 2 lens, were kept in an airtight container with silica gel put in for humidity control. Call it my home made dry box. Last month, I found all the rubber grips on the camera and lens have become "sticky". No amount of cleaning could fix it. Took all of it to the Nikon Service Centre in PJ and was told all the grips had to be replaced. It's costing me a bomb! :'(

Need some advice from the sifus out there: what's causing this "sticky rubber" (or is it really polyurethane, PU), and how to prevent it from happening to my other camera and lens? Could it be PU degradation?

Thanks.

bkhong
22-03-2009, 01:38 PM
Erm...I have had the same problem. My PS2 controller (black plastic) turned sticky and oily, as if it is melting!
CAP...cheap a$$ plastic...

FXtom
23-03-2009, 07:33 PM
my Microsoft Optical Mouse 5000 became sticky on the black-coated area...its simply a cheapo type of application made in China!

vovozz
24-03-2009, 02:08 AM
as i bought my d70s (2nd hand) i found that the grip is already sticky especially at the CF card cover.. then i use a damp cloth to sental all the "sticky" surface then store it inside the diy drybox oso (using giant brand thirsty hippo)... after a week using the camera and store it in that kind of drybox, the sticky thinggy vanish...

i dont know wich trick do the result, or it just my feeling...

bakrihafizhisham
24-03-2009, 02:11 AM
i think it's because of the cilical gel that cannot contain anymore water,
taht it starts to give out moisture to the surrounding environment (in this case,the box)

macdaque
24-03-2009, 07:43 AM
I also had a problem with my older D80 once, happens when the storage place is warm and humid. Keep the air sufficiently dry and cool, and this problem shouldn't occur. Make sure the silica gel is not saturated with water.

wan
25-03-2009, 09:03 AM
Had the same problem with F80 years back, also after I opened container after few months. I suspect the coating was degraded due to too dry

chekai
25-03-2009, 11:06 AM
Did you put in a place with high temperature? heat could be the issue here. IMO, if left in a cold location, this sticky issue shouldn't happen. Even if left inside the drybox, the dehumidifier would also emit some heat. So don't put your gears too close to it.

chickenriceboy
25-03-2009, 11:22 AM
Did you put in a place with high temperature? heat could be the issue here. IMO, if left in a cold location, this sticky issue shouldn't happen. Even if left inside the drybox, the dehumidifier would also emit some heat. So don't put your gears too close to it.

IMHO, it shld be due to the silica gel being too dry and tearing into the structure of your battery grip, causing it to degrade.. If it's saturated, it'll release moisture, and you'll get fungus on your mirror :O0

aGirl
26-03-2009, 12:04 AM
I don't think silica gel releases moisture upon "saturated". It just does not work.

zane222
26-03-2009, 12:08 AM
how much does it cost when you send in to Nikon?

D3s_Man
26-03-2009, 06:45 AM
Thanks for all your comments. I'll look into all the advice given. Need to research more into why the grip degrades, and the temperature factor may be the issue. I've got a small hygrometer and thermometer in it and the humidity is about 52% with temp at 25 - 30 deg C.

It's costing me about RM 850 to get all the grips on the cameras and lens changed. No choice la. That's why prevention is better than cure!

beetlebug
29-03-2009, 03:31 PM
... It's costing me about RM 850 to get all the grips on the cameras and lens changed. No choice la. That's why prevention is better than cure!

Alternatively you might consider pulling out the camera grip covers, take them to Central Market & ask one of the leather craftsmen there to cut out an identical shape from new PVC or leather. Then glue it back on the camera yourself. Should be a really cheap & easy fix.

When polyurethane degrades (usually due to prolonged UV radiation), it turns powdery & staining, so the grip covers are not PU. It is likely PVC (polyvinylchloride) and if it's relatively low grade, the plasticizers in the material tend to migrate to the surface & forms an greasy sticky feel after some years.

Just my 2 cents :-)

m|ng
31-03-2009, 08:47 AM
I have the same bloody problem with my F80 and my Logitech MX510, and a few other stuff I could remember.

The thing is, I took the F80 to Australia.. and it wasn't sticky anymore! not even 1 bit. It was as good as new. Now that Im back here.. its sticky.

Can I get it changed? I emailed Nikon Malaysia, but no replies from them yet.
Now im worried for my D80 and D90 >.<

macdaque
01-04-2009, 01:47 AM
I have the same bloody problem with my F80 and my Logitech MX510, and a few other stuff I could remember.

The thing is, I took the F80 to Australia.. and it wasn't sticky anymore! not even 1 bit. It was as good as new. Now that Im back here.. its sticky.

Can I get it changed? I emailed Nikon Malaysia, but no replies from them yet.
Now im worried for my D80 and D90 >.<

Do the same thing you did with your F80, keep the air around your D80 and D90 as dry as Australian air. Also, you can 'revive' your F80 by doing the same thing.

m|ng
01-04-2009, 08:34 AM
Yes, when its in my drybox, the grip will be alright, BUT once it is out in the open for a while, it gets sticky again.

Cause australian air is dry all round, but here, it is dry only in your drybox :P

pok dek
10-05-2009, 03:46 PM
i use dry box, never faced that problem, so, better invest in dry box rather than replacing the not so cheap cheap china rubber!

noordin
10-05-2009, 03:56 PM
Dry box has controlled humidity. Silca gel in a box does not. You saved on the drybox and now you have to pay dearly for it. I feel sorry for you. :-[

Radeon
10-05-2009, 09:14 PM
this is because
the silica gel is not control it will just suck everything
even your rubber

xmlrpc
11-05-2009, 01:57 AM
i called j-one to ask about rubber grip replacement for D200. they will send to Nikon and the damage is RM 280 for the whole body.

other model should be around that price range i suppose?

Stupe
11-05-2009, 03:26 PM
dry box la...airtight box with silica might not do much since there is NO circulation. :(

my cure for all these stuff? talcum powder :P

kilobytes
20-11-2009, 09:50 PM
I'm just bought a drybox with silica gel. I'm concern my box being too dry, Anyone knows how long does it usually takes to become too dry?

ray2k
22-11-2009, 06:34 AM
I think heat is the start of the problem. Once it starts, it's difficult to stop. My theory is that you need a combination of heat, lack of ventilation(the plastic sweats but cannot evaporate) and humidity (higher makes it worse). Happened to my D70.:'(

aizadfahmy
08-12-2009, 08:41 AM
Sunlight is the main cause of rubber degradation. The UV light cause the rubber to change it's protein link and combined with poor humidity control, it will "melt" the rubber.

kjkam
09-12-2009, 12:45 AM
use hair oil rub on ur sticky camera part.. then after several hour rub it wit some baby powder and rub them off wit damp cloth.. it may help... done it on my little sister D70... sticky gone..not totally gone la.. jadi better than before... :D

xeed
09-12-2009, 01:28 AM
Put powder (aka fine dust) on ur precious equipment? I think not advisable...

spirit36
09-12-2009, 02:59 AM
Hi,
I’m NO expert in SLR camera. Hope this info may help and save your precious camera.
Rubbers become sticky and brittle (so to speak) when it loses its moisture and “proteins”.
One way to maintain the rubber moisture and coloring is to apply a protective sealant over it.

Sealant Protective? Those rubber / trims sealant use for car interior. Some products are oily and some are less oily. This would protect the rubber layer and does not emit/release moisture because of its oil/silicon base.

You can get this product from ACE Hardware or Car Detailing section in Jusco/Parkson.
Apply thinly using soft cloth (Microfiber) and wipe off excessive left over.
This would give protection and enuf moist to hold the rubber characteristic.
You may only need to apply maybe once in every 2 months or even more.
For car detailing the door rubber and the dashboard are maintain is its original color because of the UV protection sealant.

Like wise, leather seats too need conditioning and protection from time to time.
Imagine the above are normally exposed under the blistering sun for at least 10 hours a day.
If you are worried that the sealant will release moistures, then your silica gel and dry box or air tight box able to absorb the release moisture for the sealant.

Just my 2 cents thou…

bulk23.shotz
10-12-2009, 04:40 PM
IMHO...i`m just a newbie,its all about temperature, rubber base are usually cant be exposed to heat or contact with oil residue...its will spoiled the structure of the rubber...thats what i been told in my science class...1995.

p/s:keep ur hand clean while handling ur expensive toys...and make sure to clean it up after use.;-)

suwen
10-12-2009, 05:29 PM
One trick, WD40. Just to be safe, try on a small spot. Apply little on cloth and rub on. If results okay, then go for the whole rubber.

Don't try armor all or like, that will cause cracking in the long run.

spirit36
10-12-2009, 08:24 PM
No expert in the mechanism of camera espeacially the internal parts.
In a way WD40 do help remove the sticky issue but WD40 usually cleans off every residue. In this case any grease and lubricants in the mechanical moving parts.
For example, never spray WD40 into a bearing because it will dilute the grease and remove it from the part. In a short period the mechanism will dry up and rust will appear.
WD40 is generally kerosene base. It release gasoline smell upon usage.
Like advise, you may try a small part but personnally I won't.
No offence to anyone. Just my experience but then again not on camera.

suwen
10-12-2009, 10:45 PM
spirit36, r u trying to offend me??!?!?! Haha... no offence taken...

Chemically, I totally agreed with what you mentioned. I have old cameras that have leather, or leather rubbery based holding base. Then there are those Nikon 2 digits and 4 digits, with more plastic synthetic type. Then there are the 3 digits and single digit, which is rubber type. I was told the 3 and single digit are made from high standard rubber which is latex based.

Anyhow, the sticky problems also came to me. Tried everything, the powder one works the best but the risk of small particulars. Then send camera to repair guy and they manages to fix those sticky problem. Asked them a few times how they do it but were reluctant to disclose. After some time, got friendly with them and they showed me how they do it.

Anyhow, best try small part. Don't feel comfortable with the idea, don't try. Replacement is always the best, just need to spend a bit $.

spirit36
11-12-2009, 03:28 AM
Bro Suwen,
Glad you did solved the sticky problem.
Hope it was not a bomb to replace it...cheers

suwen
11-12-2009, 03:35 AM
Bro Suwen,
Glad you did solved the sticky problem.
Hope it was not a bomb to replace it...cheers

Should not be a big bomb lah, can go find some spares from 2nd hand parts. But if from manufacturer, a bit more but new, but won't be an arm... cheers 2

kenkei
22-12-2009, 08:44 AM
wow.... I didn't know that something like this can happen to camera...
Just wondering if I put silica gel into the camera bag and put my camera inside, will it be the same?

Or if i just cut few small holes in a plastic container and then put my equipment inside together with Thirsty Hippo... can ah?

veuxtres
22-12-2009, 09:02 AM
that is the only thing i don like on nikon body. even on D700 rubber, it seems abit sticky feeling and it will cause the dust , sweat and stain stick on the rubber part and need to use a wet cloth and blower to blow them off.
but the material of d5000 is better LOL..zz

terenze
03-01-2010, 09:46 AM
ya this is nikon's problem to make the rubber sticky..cant nikon make better rubber since all body&lens are expensive..?

glee719
05-01-2010, 11:20 AM
I have it happening on a variety of plastic/rubber materials. I think it has something to do with humidity unfortunately...

cheeshion
05-01-2010, 02:40 PM
i dont know much...

but i used hospital alcohol swab (the one rub on you before blood taking) to rub on the rubber, and it worked! i got this problem before having drybox, till now i have no more problem with the rubber.
note: tested until now (after 2 years plus) the rubber shows no deterioration with the alcohol. you can test it with some XO, or whiskey too hehehe

kenknee
05-01-2010, 11:18 PM
i dont know much...

but i used hospital alcohol swab (the one rub on you before blood taking) to rub on the rubber, and it worked! i got this problem before having drybox, till now i have no more problem with the rubber.
note: tested until now (after 2 years plus) the rubber shows no deterioration with the alcohol. you can test it with some XO, or whiskey too hehehe

tats a quite abit expensive simple solution

glee719
06-01-2010, 12:05 AM
You mean it's ok to pour whiskey on my camera equipment while drunk? How come nobody told me that???

cheeshion
06-02-2010, 08:21 PM
tats a quite abit expensive simple solution
no matter what, the alcohol really works. if you don't have the alcohol swab, i can get some for you (for free)...

You mean it's ok to pour whiskey on my camera equipment while drunk? How come nobody told me that???
as for other types of 'alcohol', hehe i don't know the outcome / result. but try at your own risk!!! :7)

rbendorf
28-02-2010, 03:22 AM
no matter what, the alcohol really works. if you don't have the alcohol swab, i can get some for you (for free)...

as for other types of 'alcohol', hehe i don't know the outcome / result. but try at your own risk!!! :7)

The cheapest way is to use isopropal (rubbing) alcohol...the 91% is perfect to clean the sticky equipment grips...put a little on a paper towel, cloth, or cotton swab and you save yourself a lot of money...also to keep from getting the black stuff on your hands you might want to wear some cheap rubber gloves...have fun!