PDA

View Full Version : crumpler ori vs. crumpler fake

nabghani
16-11-2005, 08:46 AM
Is there such a thing? or only original crunplers? how to tell the difference? I bought one in Holland for EUR80 ... one of those "??? million dollar" things but have since chucked out all documentation/papers.

noordin
16-11-2005, 08:54 AM
Are there fakes now?

maxby
16-11-2005, 09:31 AM
Most of the camera bags are made in China. Sooner or later some imitation stuff is gonna hit the market with brands like Crumpet, Crumbler....etc.:starwars:

xmenla
16-11-2005, 10:43 AM
Most of the camera bags are made in China. Sooner or later some imitation stuff is gonna hit the market with brands like Crumpet, Crumbler....etc.:starwars:

:005: or just simply crumbs......

bimmer
16-11-2005, 10:44 AM
Crumpler "xx million dollar" things are the latest line up introduced a few months ago. It should be the real deal.

noordin
16-11-2005, 12:48 PM

I think he meant "pirated copies" rather than imitations. Or as the grey market would call it "factory over-runs". :laugh:

nabghani
16-11-2005, 01:21 PM
when i bought it it has the complete Crumpler write-up etc etc ... though i still have the logo which seems real, there is a piece of label sewn inside which read VIETNAM. Isn't there a definitive marking somewhere that says it's a Crumpler?

ckc
16-11-2005, 01:24 PM
i did once saw a crumpler lookalike in sim lin square singapore. the brand some how is polo or something, beside the brand, everything else is the same.

Brian
16-11-2005, 01:29 PM
when i bought it it has the complete Crumpler write-up etc etc ... though i still have the logo which seems real, there is a piece of label sewn inside which read VIETNAM. Isn't there a definitive marking somewhere that says it's a Crumpler?
My Crumpler was made in Vietnam, too (and mine is real) :icon_wink

Initiald
16-11-2005, 01:46 PM
Perhaps the million dollar lineup of bags are made in Vietnam but my Karachi Outpost is made in China and does have a tag sewn inside that says it's a Crumpler.

http://www.pbase.com/jchue/image/51450143.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/jchue/image/51450136.jpg

Excuse the DOF. :laugh:

ted
16-11-2005, 04:22 PM
I would've expected 'Karachi Outpost' is made in Pakistan instead of Vietnam.

Do they have a 'Monsoon Fever'? wonder where that will be made?

P.S. Kidding...

hoekeat
16-11-2005, 05:01 PM
i have a "Farmer's Double" lookalike..... bought from the shop next to crumpler in KLCC, wif a 1/4 price tag. What i can say is very quality build, worth the money i paid :041: . Do u guys consider this as a fake crumpler?

Brian
16-11-2005, 06:30 PM
i have a "Farmer's Double" lookalike..... bought from the shop next to crumpler in KLCC, wif a 1/4 price tag. What i can say is very quality build, worth the money i paid :041: . Do u guys consider this as a fake crumpler?
A fake is something that is not real. What you purchased looked like a Crumpler but was not manufactured by Crumpler so yes, it can be called a "fake" no matter what the price.

My dad purchased a fake Rolex almost 20 years ago. Quality is good because the thing is still ticking. But it's still a fake.

LoctorMayat
16-11-2005, 07:19 PM
It boils down to..

Are you a download guy or a RM10/ticket cineplex guy?

Initiald
16-11-2005, 10:34 PM
I would've expected 'Karachi Outpost' is made in Pakistan instead of Vietnam.

:laugh:

Matt
23-11-2005, 01:49 AM
There are fake Crumplers being sold at Tearproof shops around the city. They're called Urban. Very similar replica of the original but with different materials of course.

tsechien
23-11-2005, 02:07 AM
I am in Hanoi right NOW and they have imitation Lowepro Minitrekker AWs and Computrekker AWs (a few with a few more additional features than the originals). Price ? USD 13-15 each before bargaining. I am sure there are a few Crumplers out there.....

chien

Initiald
23-11-2005, 02:13 AM
Wahlau eh... Those prices seem very cheap for fakes. I bet you can get them half the price quoted after bargain.

mikench
23-11-2005, 09:05 AM
I am in Hanoi right NOW and they have imitation Lowepro Minitrekker AWs and Computrekker AWs (a few with a few more additional features than the originals). Price ? USD 13-15 each before bargaining. I am sure there are a few Crumplers out there.....

chien

OMG, that's real cheap! I'd buy two or three of them just to carry my books to school. Hahaha...I bet they'd make great Christmas gifts too!

LoctorMayat
23-11-2005, 10:15 AM
psst... chien.. can buy the Computrekker AW (Hanoi Version) for me ah... ;)

Initiald
23-11-2005, 10:30 AM
Hahaha...I bet they'd make great Christmas gifts too!

Mike, you're real cheap. :laugh:

mikench
23-11-2005, 10:48 AM
Mike, you're real cheap. :laugh:

How do you think I can afford all that Nikon glass eh?
Har har har :077:

georgewongtzewen
24-11-2005, 11:37 PM
bought an urban today after reading all these posts. seems alright and for RM115 I paid for it, seems like a bargain. don't expect too much and they're decent camera/laptop bags.

bimmer
25-11-2005, 12:13 AM
KKK is looking for a backpack....

yoong
25-11-2005, 12:17 AM
KKK is looking for a backpack....

a non photography backpack i believe.

raizil
05-01-2010, 12:37 AM
damn. real thing

bkhong
05-01-2010, 04:40 PM

Heck...China now has BlueBerry....the cheap BlackBerry knockoff.
http://www.techeblog.com/index.php/tech-gadget/blueberry-the-rim-blackberry-knockoff

There was a stand/promotion in Ampang Park for BlueBerry.

david.tan
05-01-2010, 09:02 PM
damn. real thing

darn old topic digger, hahaha

well hack, there is a lot of copy cat especially canon, olympus, bagman and etc... no creative at all ! :A

Ryan_liu93
05-01-2010, 09:15 PM
sungai wang is now selling 6 million dollar home for just RM 180~Rm 200 i just bought mine and it looks exactly like the ori ones and the quality is as good as the ori ones too

chuan
28-02-2010, 04:50 PM
whether original or imitation, both made in china, so whats the difference?

Brian
28-02-2010, 07:48 PM
That's a very Chinese Face "cover is more important then book" way of thinking...the same kind of thinking that goes toward big, shiny fake gold watchers named "Bolex". :D

The difference is QA. You pay a little more because the company pays more to add a layer of quality assurance. There is also build quality. The rivets in Levis (made in Pakistan & Vietnam) go all the way through and the seams are double-stitched. Off-brand jeans and copies have ironed on rivets and are only single-stitched.

BTW, my Company Embarrassment Crumpler orig. was made in Vietnam. ;)

replayx
13-03-2010, 06:14 PM
sungai wang is now selling 6 million dollar home for just RM 180~Rm 200 i just bought mine and it looks exactly like the ori ones and the quality is as good as the ori ones too

i'm not agree with u,
for the padding that original use is much more thicker than the fake 1.
from far it look like original, but when u touch it.
then u will know that is a fake unit.

raizil
13-03-2010, 07:09 PM

leica and leica copy.
lumix and d lux
epihone and gibson

its all about QA :-D

chuan
13-03-2010, 07:37 PM
That's a very Chinese Face "cover is more important then book" way of thinking...the same kind of thinking that goes toward big, shiny fake gold watchers named "Bolex". :D

The difference is QA. You pay a little more because the company pays more to add a layer of quality assurance. There is also build quality. The rivets in Levis (made in Pakistan & Vietnam) go all the way through and the seams are double-stitched. Off-brand jeans and copies have ironed on rivets and are only single-stitched.

BTW, my Company Embarrassment Crumpler orig. was made in Vietnam. ;)

well brian, u misunderstood me. what i was trying to say was that even the originals are made in china nowadays, for almost everything. so, if lets say a fake cost rm10, and an original costs rm50, i'd go for the rm10, cost the quality wouldnt be too far off since both are chinese made. does that make sense? If the price difference is just a little, of course i'd go for the original.

raizil
13-03-2010, 07:47 PM
well brian, u misunderstood me. what i was trying to say was that even the originals are made in china nowadays, for almost everything. so, if lets say a fake cost rm10, and an original costs rm50, i'd go for the rm10, cost the quality wouldnt be too far off since both are chinese made. does that make sense? If the price difference is just a little, of course i'd go for the original.

i wear adidas fake and adidas not fake.. the not fake one i can wear whole day, but not the fake one. both made in china. :-D

Brian
13-03-2010, 08:45 PM
I didn't misunderstand you. You misunderstood my reply.

This was my point: Just because something is made in the same country doesn't mean the quality is the same. As I pointed out, you're paying for better construction, better materials, and a QA layer that ensures that what you get is of better quality then if it had neither. This is completely separate from the country of origin.

What's the difference between a Kingston SD card and a no-name or counterfeit Kingston bought on the street? By your definition, none. They are actually made in the same Chinese factory. By my definition, loads...the counterfeits are made during a "ghost shift" after the factory has closed using materials rejected by Kingston's QA layer.

Same workers and even the same factory...but a 50% failure rate because they are using below par materials and have no quality assurance.

For a few bucks more I'd rather get the Kingston. For a few bucks less you'd rather get the copy.

david.tan
13-03-2010, 10:05 PM
buy original, USE original ;)

beetlebug
14-03-2010, 10:08 AM
The fakey Crumplers are everywhere these days - I saw a huge range in Hanoi couple of months ago & some designs were even nicer than the ori.

BUT they don't even come close to the quality & feel of the ori. The fabric is less dense, some of the trims are out of place, the logo is a bit distorted etc etc. If you've used ori Crumplers for years (even before they were available in M'sia), you can tell the diff. immediately ... 8)

sanpee
14-03-2010, 10:49 AM
What you pay is what you get. :D)
Don't expect paying half or even less to get the same quality.
I bought a bag that copy 4MH design before, have to repair (more stitches needed at the joints) after 2 months using, but it serves me well for 2 years after that. Buy cheap, do prepare to pay more on somewhere else.

Lomaikai
14-03-2010, 10:55 AM
http://www.lelong.com.my/Auc/List/2010-03DeSale56190981_AUCTION_-Original-Beig-Brown-Color-Bagman-L-size-Sling-Bag-Canon-Nikon-Crumpler.htm

here is an example of a fake/lookalike Crumpler. Looks the same eh.. jst that its called Bagman.lol

hailane
10-06-2010, 12:22 AM
The imitation Crumplers are everywhere. Some people don't mind because the price is far cheaper than the original. The most important is satisfaction. But for me, the value is when Honesty and Integrity count :) Definitely the originals are much better!!!

Irfan
10-06-2010, 08:39 AM
Yes agreed, buy the original. Not everything made from China is of the same quality and not everything from China is bad quality.

How much would you spend on a bag to haul around your RMXX,XXX worth of camera gear?

shlim8
30-06-2010, 09:26 AM
Came across a foto shop selling "copy" crumpler 6MDH, it was really well made and I couldn't tell the difference, till the guy told me it was a copy and not original.

But what put me off was it told me "not waterproof".... was alittle worried the whole bag will soak right through if I get caught in the rain.... But examining the material, wasn't sure, seemed like it's at least water resistent.

ANy bros out there using copy crumpler ? Does the material get soaked in the rain ?

focus101
30-06-2010, 12:02 PM
The way I look at it. You spend thousands of dollars on a nice camera and lenses, but you want a cheap bag to protect your good camera and lenses. It does not make sense.

nikon528
01-07-2010, 08:56 AM
Where could i find "copy" crumpler?

chuan
13-08-2010, 08:05 PM
Where could i find "copy" crumpler?

amcorp mall. PJ8C

World_of_Julie
31-08-2010, 03:43 PM
http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/5271/fakecrumpler.jpg (http://img695.imageshack.us/i/fakecrumpler.jpg/)

clipper79
31-08-2010, 03:51 PM
http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/5271/fakecrumpler.jpg (http://img695.imageshack.us/i/fakecrumpler.jpg/)

the colours of the fake ones are horrible. The easy way to spot on is to see it's workmanship. Especially the stitchings and detailing. Fakes usually do not match up to the real thing. If you do not know what you are buying. Best buy it from the authorised shops.

Brian
31-08-2010, 04:41 PM
the colours of the fake ones are horrible. The easy way to spot on is to see it's workmanship. Especially the stitchings and detailing. Fakes usually do not match up to the real thing. If you do not know what you are buying. Best buy it from the authorised shops.
Chinese fakes always have that obnoxious face-factor...the logo isn't subtle or singular like in the original, but layered over as much real-estate as possible.

It's not a Crumpler...it's a CRUMPLAH!!!!

:D

Brian
31-08-2010, 04:43 PM
Came across a foto shop selling "copy" crumpler 6MDH, it was really well made and I couldn't tell the difference, till the guy told me it was a copy and not original.

But what put me off was it told me "not waterproof".... was alittle worried the whole bag will soak right through if I get caught in the rain.... But examining the material, wasn't sure, seemed like it's at least water resistent.

ANy bros out there using copy crumpler ? Does the material get soaked in the rain ?
I guess you can always go to IKEA or Carefour and pick up a can of Scotchguard.