• Nikon Rumors: Nikon D800, the sensor will be 36MP (99% probability)

An interesting rumor that we got from Nikon Rumors...which we think are worth acknowledging...

On September 29th, digicame-info published those Nikon D800 specs (Google translation):

• What number of pixels is 3630 megapixels.
    • 4 frames per second continuous shooting in body only, about 6 frames per second will be used to DX mode with the optional battery pack.
    • A little late to be released by the model resolution sought to eliminate the low-pass filter.
    • Full HD video in 1920 1080/30p.
    • Headphone jacks, can be input from an external device such as a PCM sound recorder. Corresponding to USB3.0. Be available in new small wireless transmitter.
    • 86K pixel split control, AF, exposure, white balance, etc. compatible. Face Recognition AF features.
    • Larger LCD monitor, automatic brightness adjustment, the structure is not cloudy.
    • Two media CF card and SD card slot.
    • Shutter durability of 200,000 cycles.
    • Market price is about 300,000 yen. The announcement on October 26, released on November 24.

I initially did not post this online, but after receiving some additional info I can now confirm with a 99% probability only the name D800″ and the sensor size of 36MP.

The D800 will basically be a mini-D3x. Do not expect the same high ISO performance as in the D3s. This is probably Nikon solution to separate both product lines (before the D700 and D3 had the same sensor). Please note that I cannot yet confirm the remaining specs above but I believe most of them correct. I am still working on the details and will have some addition info later today or tomorrow.

Stay tuned, it has begun! If the specs are out, expect announcement before the end of the year (I would say 30-60 days from now).
    Read more on NikonRumors.com

http://nikonrumors.com/2011/10/03/th...#ixzz1ZmQRGyeL
    Comments 32 Comments
      david.tan -
      if thats so, that would possibility bring down the price of MF digital...
      Rizekin2011 -
      sensor 36.3MP!! probaly the price is estimated up to RM 30XXX.XX...
      khoking -
      Quote Originally Posted by RIZEKIN2011 View Post
      sensor 36.3MP!! probaly the price is estimated up to RM 30XXX.XX...
      Rumor said JPY300k, which is around RM11k-12k.
      epozer -
      36mp..ouccchh...whit that price tag sure no more hassy...
      pointblank -
      Interesting development. In regard to some remarks to medium format and Hasselblad, it is not really the mega pixels that counts. Sensor size does make a big diference and that will yet remain the same. (With the poor translation I can't tell whether this is a supposing DX or FX camera but even so in the case of the latter, size still matters)
      jie88 -
      wow what a monster !
      mazrimu -
      Mahalnyer.......
      KenIchi -
      Finally we see what Nikon can do Go Nikon
      mct -
      haha...rumors againbeing waiting for this more than a years
      chiwee -
      Can't wait for this beauty to come out. I'll be all over again drooling for this piece of machine. Haha!
      calvincychin -
      I m just worried is the current lens can handle this kind of resolution. What will be the defraction?
      sh4hr1n -
      Definitely.. nice to have one..
      trinity -
      Just when you think the mega pixel race is over!

Btw not only lens upgrade, your whole pipeline need upgrade incl CPU, memory cards, harddrive, storage upgrade required, i think
      Leonardthong -
      36 MP ==" So we need more powerful CPU and large capacity of HD as well as GPU to process the image 0.O
      JLwc -
      Ya, sensor size and the processor makes whole lot of difference, even the H4D 60 is also only a 645 format. Nikon is definitely going in the right direction by maximizing the the FX format sensor as rumored.
      qezwan -
      y u (nikon) no make 100mp straight forward??? HAHAHAHA.
      ndgoh -
      Kinda funny when the author says he can confirm 99%.... Haha!
      budak -
      there's still 1% untrue.
      nel -
      ... imagine it say disk full every 10 shots ... ...
      raaisma -
      Don't forget that Canon will out something big this November. It will be an interesting to see Nikon and Canon compete. On the other note, using DX lenses on D800 would be much sensible because you won't lose much pixel. 36MP using DX lenses is like, 20MP right?