Lens service and repair

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lens service and repair

I dropped my near decade old Canon 50mm f1.4 from a height of about 1 feet. It landed on it mount, with mount cap on. I tried to see if it still works and the focusing mechanism seems to be damaged. Canon offices will not be open till Monday, so I am wondering where most of you would send your lens for repair and service. I heard of horror stories of independant service professionals in Klang Valley.

I used to send them to camera shops with service professionals while I was living in JB and did a good job, this is the first time I need to fix and service lenses in KL/PJ. I recalled an indepandant one along Jalan Pudu. Any advise or recomendation?
    Last edited by wjthor; 02-09-2006, 11:17 AM.

Re: Lens service and repair

Hi,
    If yr lens is the canon fd type then u are out of luck. I did send in mine to canon last year and said that it cannot be repaired. I dropped mine too and the focusing mechanism is jammed. Reasons given by canon is that spare parts
    is no more available. I tried open it up and see what's wrong inside, it seems
    that the focusing mechanism "derailed". Tried many ways to get it back on track
    but failed. So now I'm keeping it and hunt for a second hand or broken lens or fungus grown lens for spare parts. After all , i only need the focusing mechanism not the lens.

Comment

have u tried desmond (yl camera at pudu plaza)?
      or keat at jalan pudu also do repairing

Comment

Originally posted by wjthor
        I dropped my near decade old Canon 50mm f1.4 from a height of about 1 feet. It landed on it mount, with mount cap on. I tried to see if it still works and the focusing mechanism seems to be damaged. Canon offices will not be open till Monday, so I am wondering where most of you would send your lens for repair and service. I heard of horror stories of independant service professionals in Klang Valley.

I used to send them to camera shops with service professionals while I was living in JB and did a good job, this is the first time I need to fix and service lenses in KL/PJ. I recalled an indepandant one along Jalan Pudu. Any advise or recomendation?
        Send to J-One Camera at Gr Floor, Amcorp Mall in PJ. He has repaired my Nikon lenses and F3 camera as well as my Leica M6 camera. So he's highly recommended.

Comment

I already had bad experience with Canon on spare parts, even for simple in production stuff. I asked for a 5 ring and they did not have it. Had to order it from HK. Anyway, just curious if there are more reliable contracts who are passionate about their job other than Canon themselves with people there just for their job.

Oh, my lens seems to be still selling on shops when I went by just now, cost 4 times the price now. Talking about inflation...

Comment

Yesterday I sent my film camera a Nikon F90X to Desmond of YL (012-3806733) in Pudu for repair as its shuttle was free-firing i.e. firing madly by itself !!

That guy took a look and removed the batteries of the Multi-Function Back (the back lid of the camera) and hey presto, the camera was okay again. He returned the camera to me with no charges.

That's honesty that is rarely found in business these days.

I will recommend him.
            [I]i shall pass this way but once ...... let me do the right things now .......
            [/I]

Comment

Kalau pada LCD tulis Err 99. Ape masalahnya?

Comment

Originally posted by abuihsanisah View Post
                Google for it !

Comment

Originally posted by wjthor View Post
                  Oh, my lens seems to be still selling on shops when I went by just now, cost 4 times the price now. Talking about inflation...
                  bro, sorry to hear bout the lens, hopefully u get if fixed soon. im just curious, do u mean that the canon EF 50mm 1.4 used to sell for rm350 10 years ago? WOW!

Comment

This Thread is about 3 years old?
                    [URL="http://www.jasonbeyond.com"]www.jasonbeyond.com[/URL]

Comment

Originally posted by beyond View Post
                      This Thread is about 3 years old?
                      alamak bro, i just noticed! hahahahahahahah , okay then i guess the 50mm costed 350 13 years ago? can any sifus confirm this?

Comment

I encountered faulty 50mm 1.4 lens recently. I send it to Singapore get the USM motor, shalf etc changed. Cost around S$210. I got it back next day.

Comment

Google a bit bro, and you'll get the answer

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mdfadhlan/

Comment

hantar service kat canon sudah..

Comment

Have you tried to update the Firmware? Camera needs an update too.

Comment

Working...
                              X