Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canon EF 1.4x III Extender and EF 2x III Extender

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Canon EF 1.4x III Extender and EF 2x III Extender

    Mark II or Mark III, I would just like to know the opinion of using the extender with any of L lenses, in terms of IQ, focusing speed. Are they economically and worth the money than going for a new range L lens?

    Opinions and feedbacks of any forum members that has/had used or still using any of the extenders very much appreciated.
    http://www.123rf.com/profile_hitmansnr

  • #2
    Re: Canon EF 1.4x III Extender and EF 2x III Extender

    I have the Series 2 and 3 Extenders. They are the cheapest and lightest way to get more focal length at the expense of 1 and 2 stops of light.

    The Series 2 is designed for pre-2010 lenses while the Series 3 is designed for all compatible EF lenses.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/alabang/

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Canon EF 1.4x III Extender and EF 2x III Extender

      dolina >> thanks for the input.. I saw your photos in flickr. Magnificent range indeed.
      http://www.123rf.com/profile_hitmansnr

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Canon EF 1.4x III Extender and EF 2x III Extender

        I've paired x2ExtIII with EF70-200 II on 5Dmii. Super fast AF on sunny day. The IQ also is good IMHO.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Canon EF 1.4x III Extender and EF 2x III Extender

          I've heard that focussing speed suffers more for zooms than primes. IQ also drops more for zooms.

          I guess in terms of economics, doubling a 300/2.8 to 600/5.6 is still waaaaay cheaper than getting a 600L.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Canon EF 1.4x III Extender and EF 2x III Extender

            Originally posted by chinks View Post
            I've heard that focussing speed suffers more for zooms than primes. IQ also drops more for zooms.

            I guess in terms of economics, doubling a 300/2.8 to 600/5.6 is still waaaaay cheaper than getting a 600L.
            Yes both tele-extenders slow down the AF by a bit. But of course in bright conditions it isn't really noticeable. The 2x slows things down a little more than the 1.4x.

            The 1.4x II is nice piece of glass, very decent performance. The 2x II is . . . well just okay, I sold mine off. The 1.4x III is very sharp for a tele-extender and yes I would say it is worth the money over the 1.4x II. I am waiting for someone to sell it (version III) as a used item . . . but I think it might be a long wait.
            Last edited by jlo012009; 07-08-2012, 03:37 PM.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Canon EF 1.4x III Extender and EF 2x III Extender

              Thanks all for the feedbacks.. Maybe I will go to Canon store and try the mkIII 1.4 since I heard good reviews about it. Yeah I think mkIII would not be on 2nd hand sale for a while
              http://www.123rf.com/profile_hitmansnr

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Canon EF 1.4x III Extender and EF 2x III Extender

                test
                Last edited by tigerblack; 01-04-2012, 06:56 PM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Canon EF 1.4x III Extender and EF 2x III Extender

                  Very nice price for a 2x II there. I got my 1.4x II for about RM 900. Mint condition, haven't the chance to go out to the field yet.

                  Just bear in mind that extenders give you range at the cost of shutter speed due to aperture size being reduced.

                  1.4x extenders will drop your aperture by 1 stop. 2x extenders drop by 2 stops.

                  So let's say if you're pairing it with 70-200 F4. the 1.4x will make your lens 70(x1.4) - 200 (x1.4) F5.6, and 2x will make it the 70(x2) - 200 (x2) F8

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Canon EF 1.4x III Extender and EF 2x III Extender

                    any chance of some birding shot from you in near future dude? hehehe

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Canon EF 1.4x III Extender and EF 2x III Extender

                      Sebagai contoh...saya ada lense 400mm F5.6, bila saya guna
                      TC 1.4 = 560mm F8
                      TC 2.0 = 800mm F11
                      yang ni tiada masalah, saya masih faham... tetapi yang kurang faham berkenaan autofocus
                      AF hanya pada pro body 1d series sahaja apabila maximum aputure lense melebihi F8.
                      Selain body 1d...AF hanya berfungsi pada center point jika maximum aputure ialah F8...
                      jika melebihi F8, bermakna kena manual focus... betul ke pemahaman saya ni?
                      Jika saya betul...untuk contoh lense di atas...untuk dapatkan AF, sebaiknya ialah TC1.4 kerana aputure nye F8.

                      ahhh..pening sungguh.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Canon EF 1.4x III Extender and EF 2x III Extender

                        Originally posted by tigerblack View Post
                        Bought from a friend 2X II for RM500! Super cheap! Paired it with 70-200mm IS II + 7D.. shoot airshow last LIMA 2011. Bright sunny day u can focus quite okay and the image really good for a RM500 cost

                        Originally posted by goldfries View Post
                        Very nice price for a 2x II there. I got my 1.4x II for about RM 900. Mint condition, haven't the chance to go out to the field yet.

                        Just bear in mind that extenders give you range at the cost of shutter speed due to aperture size being reduced.

                        1.4x extenders will drop your aperture by 1 stop. 2x extenders drop by 2 stops.

                        So let's say if you're pairing it with 70-200 F4. the 1.4x will make your lens 70(x1.4) - 200 (x1.4) F5.6, and 2x will make it the 70(x2) - 200 (x2) F8
                        I just missed a 1.4X mk II sale...gosh!
                        Well, still haven't got the chance to test it out at the shop due to busy schedule.
                        http://www.123rf.com/profile_hitmansnr

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Canon EF 1.4x III Extender and EF 2x III Extender

                          Originally posted by yuslers View Post
                          any chance of some birding shot from you in near future dude? hehehe
                          .....still thinking dude... got to let go a few underutilised lens first..hehehe. Maybe I will get a 200 L prime with 2x TC!
                          http://www.123rf.com/profile_hitmansnr

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Canon EF 1.4x III Extender and EF 2x III Extender

                            Originally posted by amirosama View Post
                            Sebagai contoh...saya ada lense 400mm F5.6, bila saya guna
                            TC 1.4 = 560mm F8
                            TC 2.0 = 800mm F11
                            yang ni tiada masalah, saya masih faham... tetapi yang kurang faham berkenaan autofocus
                            AF hanya pada pro body 1d series sahaja apabila maximum aputure lense melebihi F8.
                            Selain body 1d...AF hanya berfungsi pada center point jika maximum aputure ialah F8...
                            jika melebihi F8, bermakna kena manual focus... betul ke pemahaman saya ni?
                            Jika saya betul...untuk contoh lense di atas...untuk dapatkan AF, sebaiknya ialah TC1.4 kerana aputure nye F8.

                            ahhh..pening sungguh.
                            Betul bro.. sepanjang pemahaman saya, 400 f5.6 dengan TC2x confirm kena manual focus, melainkan digunakan dengan body 1D.
                            http://www.123rf.com/profile_hitmansnr

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Canon EF 1.4x III Extender and EF 2x III Extender

                              Geng,

                              I plan to buy extender 2X III for my 7D, my len is 70 - 200 f2.8 1, please advise me.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X