Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Speedlite 600EX-RT

Originally posted by Maxd2 View Post
    hi johnc , just want to check with u , can the ST-E3 control 580ex 2????
    no diffuser???? direct from flash???
    Hi Maxd2,
    yupe correct, no diffuser used when capturing the above shot.

Nope, the 580EXII do not have a radio receiver built-in, so not yet able to communicate with the ST-E3.
    And the ST-E3 is Radio only transmitter-commander (no IR AF assist also).

Cheers

Comment

Thank you johnc !!! then i only have to buy 2 600exrt to control IR or Radio wit my 580ex 2..
      Originally posted by JohnC View Post
      Hi Maxd2,
      yupe correct, no diffuser used when capturing the above shot.

Nope, the 580EXII do not have a radio receiver built-in, so not yet able to communicate with the ST-E3.
      And the ST-E3 is Radio only transmitter-commander (no IR AF assist also).

Cheers

Comment

Thank you johnc !!! then i only have to buy 2 600exrt to control IR or Radio wit my 580ex 2..
        hi Maxd2,

Yupe, the ST-E3 is only Radio Commander only. It does not have IR-AF assist at all and it costs RM999 RRP.
        It is NOT like the ST-E2 which can be mounted as a canggih IR-AF assist unit.

The 600EXRT works and functions as a Master as well as Slaves, in both RADIO and IR formats.

If you have 2 units 600EX-RT, you may set 1 unit as Master on Camera and 1 unit as Slave off camera. You choose to use either ONE(1) of the Radio Trigger or IR Trigger commands to work.

BUT,
        If you want to use 1 unit 600EX-RT as Master and 580EXII as slave, you can only use the IR command only. Because the 580EXII does NOT have radio receiver.

If you wanna use 580EXII as master and 600EX as slave, It should with IR only.
        ... why would you want to use a 580EXII as master?

Comment

Thanks JohnC , then i have to buy two 600exrt

Comment

Here's another picture captured just 10mins ago using 2units 600EX-RT and commanded with an ST-E3-RT

Name:  7457daacd8fc0badc5a7eaf45feafe4f.jpg
Views: 2
Size:  84.7 KB

Comment

I was very close to investing in the RT system until i found out that the STE3 controller cannot remotely adjust flash zoom!(please correct me if I'm wrong anyone).

For the cost that Canon want for...say 2xRT's and the STE3 it just staggers me that they did not include zoom function!!

I have 3x580exII's controlled by very affordable(and reliable) Pixel King triggers - which CAN control zoom on flash. Yes, i realise for a lot of people that may not be a big deal if they're just for fun, but when you do a lot of speedlite work the whole point is remote efficiency, so what's the point of setting up my flashes with this new system when I'm still going to have to walk over to the flash and adjust a parameter manually??(specially frustrating when their up high)...I know, i know , you should have the zoom range setup first but playing with zoom range can give vastly different results.

*sigh*.......the Canon love/hate relationship continues....I do however LOVE my new MkIII i picked up the forum here on Tuesday...watch out for MkII and 60D sale to be posted soon.

Comment

Originally posted by cageyfella View Post
                I was very close to investing in the RT system until i found out that the STE3 controller cannot remotely adjust flash zoom!(please correct me if I'm wrong anyone).

For the cost that Canon want for...say 2xRT's and the STE3 it just staggers me that they did not include zoom function!!

I have 3x580exII's controlled by very affordable(and reliable) Pixel King triggers - which CAN control zoom on flash. Yes, i realise for a lot of people that may not be a big deal if they're just for fun, but when you do a lot of speedlite work the whole point is remote efficiency, so what's the point of setting up my flashes with this new system when I'm still going to have to walk over to the flash and adjust a parameter manually??(specially frustrating when their up high)...I know, i know , you should have the zoom range setup first but playing with zoom range can give vastly different results.

*sigh*.......the Canon love/hate relationship continues....I do however LOVE my new MkIII i picked up the forum here on Tuesday...watch out for MkII and 60D sale to be posted soon.
                Hi Cageyfella,
                Glad to hear that you are very satisfied with your Pixel Kings system, thus money saving, no need to buy those ST-E3 and 600EXRT thingys.

Was wondering if you have fully tested the Pixel Kings with your 5D MarkIII, does it work seamlessly with the 5d MarkIII?
                ... just eager to know this ... (I am hoping your answer would be yes, 'cos then I'll be able to also radio trigger my 580EXII's)

Cheers & very best regards
                Last edited by JohnC; 04-07-2012, 06:21 PM.

Comment

Hi Cageyfella,
                  Glad to hear that you are very satisfied with your Pixel Kings system, thus money saving, no need to buy those ST-E3 and 600EXRT thingys.

Was wondering if you have fully tested the Pixel Kings with your 5D MarkIII, does it work seamlessly with the 5d MarkIII?
                  ... just eager to know this ... (I am hoping your answer would be yes, 'cos then I'll be able to also radio trigger my 580EXII's)

Cheers & very best regards
                  G'day JOhnC,

Took me a few days to reply as I've only had the MkIII for a few days but now i can give a categorical "yes" to your question about the PK's. It did take a bit of fiddling at the start only because I'm used to the 60D/MkII flash menu which i still find easier to use than the MkIII(setting up the manual groups for each flash anyway - i only ever work in manual). Have you seen Dan Carrs review on the RT system? - www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndP7pvOYjkA

In his review, Dan also highlights the issue of the WB not automatically being set when using the 600ex off camera with the included gels!...Canon creates high end $$$ PRO gear but it seems they design it's functionality mainly for weekend enthusiasts!?

....ahhh...whatever.....The Pixel Kings work with the MkIII JohnC

Cheers
                  Cranky.
                  P.S-what do you think of the skin tones coming out of the MkIII(full size RAW)?

Comment

G'day Cageyfella,
                    Yea thanks fella for your reply.

Well the ST-E3-RT & 600EX-RT works for my liking, it provides controls over power/ratio/grouping in auto modes, simple and easy to use.
                    Dedicated buttons/menus selections allows straight forward access. Adjustments to groupings, ratios & power settings are easily operated via the ST-E3-RT. Nice gadget this one, i just loved it

The 600EX-RT's do come with M-mode and EXT-M modes for manually re-configuration setups . Making specific adjustments manually on the respective flashes is the individual's preference-driven choice

Oredi mate, happy clicking away
                    Best regards,

Comment

you can buy one today from ebay for average $600USD....just sayin if you want one quick.....

Comment

G'day Cageyfella,
                        Yea thanks fella for your reply.

Well the ST-E3-RT & 600EX-RT works for my liking, it provides controls over power/ratio/grouping in auto modes, simple and easy to use.
                        Dedicated buttons/menus selections allows straight forward access. Adjustments to groupings, ratios & power settings are easily operated via the ST-E3-RT. Nice gadget this one, i just loved it

The 600EX-RT's do come with M-mode and EXT-M modes for manually re-configuration setups . Making specific adjustments manually on the respective flashes is the individual's preference-driven choice

Oredi mate, happy clicking away
                        Best regards,
                        Down the track a little i will probably get an RT set because there is definite value in NOT having to carry around extra triggers/batteries(bag weight/space savings), but for my needs today I have no need to spend that much MORE for an incomplete solution. Amount of work will dictate how soon i invest in it..

Just wondering if you had any comment on MkIII skin tones JohnC?

cheers
                        Cagey!

Comment

Originally posted by cageyfella View Post
                          Down the track a little i will probably get an RT set because there is definite value in NOT having to carry around extra triggers/batteries(bag weight/space savings), but for my needs today I have no need to spend that much MORE for an incomplete solution. Amount of work will dictate how soon i invest in it..

Just wondering if you had any comment on MkIII skin tones JohnC?

cheers
                          Cagey!
                          Hey there Cagey,
                          Nope no comments on mkiii's skin tones.
                          Cheers & have a good weekend mate

Comment

Originally posted by samo View Post
                            Saw the flash at a photographic store in Digital Mall Section 14, Petaling Jaya.

It carries a retail price of RM1,950.

Sam
                            I just got back from Low Yat Plaza and was quoted $1870 if I buy 2(EXRT) units, which is what I was planning anyway...have been to half a dozen stores around Bukit Bintang but no sign of the STE3 in stock yet - they reckon another couple of weeks...maybe...

Comment

Time to sell 580 ex 2

Comment

Any problem with 600exRT?

Comment

Working...
                                X