google-site-verification: googleff3ef223fa187539.html Canon 50D noise - PhotoMalaysia Community

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canon 50D noise

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Canon 50D noise

    There seems to be serious issue at the noise especially ISO 400 and above.

    Nobody see it, or nobody care about it. I already saw it after few shots.

    It's a hot debate at overseas forum.
    Last edited by bcteh; 15-10-2008, 03:38 AM.

  • #2
    Re: Canon 50D noise

    Yes, there is a serious noise issue with my 50D, at ISO6400 and above...

    Basically, I'm happy with my 50D. I think that matters a lot, from a user point of view. Want better ISO performance, then better consider full frame.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Canon 50D noise

      Originally posted by FitriShukri View Post
      Yes, there is a serious noise issue with my 50D, at ISO6400 and above...

      Basically, I'm happy with my 50D. I think that matters a lot, from a user point of view. Want better ISO performance, then better consider full frame.
      Maybe you don't notice it. Nvm ...

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Canon 50D noise

        I do notice it, even at iso200, especially at shadow
        but it can easily remove by software or turn on the NR(LOW)

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Canon 50D noise

          Originally posted by bcteh View Post
          There seems to be serious issue at the noise especially ISO 400 and above.

          Nobody see it, or nobody care about it. I already saw it after few shots.

          It's a hot debate at overseas forum.
          There will be noise for sure. But is it serious? Is it worse than 40D?
          Surely ISO400 will be noisier than ISO200, and so on ...

          The issue is, is that noise level acceptable for you? Does it appear on print?

          Is the image adequately exposed when shot? An underexposed photo will be noisy even after post-process exposure correction, even when shot at ISO100!

          I have no problem with ISO 6400 after NR.

          See my 50D tests here:
          http://www.pbase.com/chenws/canon_eos_50d

          Perhaps show your ISO400 noisy photo (as shot before pp) here with EXIF intact, incl a 100% crop.
          http://www.pbase.com/chenws

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Canon 50D noise

            Originally posted by bcteh View Post
            There seems to be serious issue at the noise especially ISO 400 and above.

            Nobody see it, or nobody care about it. I already saw it after few shots.

            It's a hot debate at overseas forum.
            which oversea forums?... i not very happi wif noise or un-happi wif the noise for now... but doesnt seem to live up to the claim info from canon...

            Originally posted by FitriShukri View Post
            Yes, there is a serious noise issue with my 50D, at ISO6400 and above...

            Basically, I'm happy with my 50D. I think that matters a lot, from a user point of view. Want better ISO performance, then better consider full frame.
            agree wif u on... wan better noise then hav to go for full frame lo.. anyway i shoot sRaw for ISO for above 6400...

            Originally posted by chenws View Post
            There will be noise for sure. But is it serious? Is it worse than 40D?
            Surely ISO400 will be noisier than ISO200, and so on ...

            The issue is, is that noise level acceptable for you? Does it appear on print?

            Is the image adequately exposed when shot? An underexposed photo will be noisy even after post-process exposure correction, even when shot at ISO100!

            I have no problem with ISO 6400 after NR.

            See my 50D tests here:
            http://www.pbase.com/chenws/canon_eos_50d

            Perhaps show your ISO400 noisy photo (as shot before pp) here with EXIF intact, incl a 100% crop.
            now i'm settin all NR to off... i dun wan to lose any details especially on sRaw... canon software dun allow luminance noise control... sad..

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Canon 50D noise

              you can go to flickrs group discussion and dpreview forum for more info.

              I'm not talking about noise at ISO1600 and above. It's about noise at ISO400 to 800 range.

              It be more abvious in the bokeh. The noise is something like dust particle sitck to your photo.

              It's hard to see the noise in the main subject.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Canon 50D noise

                in my opinion...see which camera u compare with lorr...

                if i compare my new 50D iso 1600 noise is about the same as my 400D iso 400.......

                very happy with the up grade adi..and that's the major purpose of the up grade.......

                just my dua sen (RM)..........

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Canon 50D noise

                  Originally posted by bcteh View Post
                  you can go to flickrs group discussion and dpreview forum for more info.

                  I'm not talking about noise at ISO1600 and above. It's about noise at ISO400 to 800 range.

                  It be more abvious in the bokeh. The noise is something like dust particle sitck to your photo.

                  It's hard to see the noise in the main subject.
                  I went to Flickr and did a search for '50D, ISO400, noise' and only 1 image appeared.

                  dpreview had more discussion about noise at ISO400, but after reading through, they were more concerned about chroma noise, which I experienced with the 40D, but much improved with the 50D, but still cannot match the old 5D. The other concern about noise at 50D is at long exposure or when the shot was under-exposed, and the user bumped up exposure at post-processing; surely the noise will be there.

                  As you mentioned, it's hard to see noise in your subject; that's because they are well exposed. Normally it's the skies and bokeh (like you said) that the noise is apparent. I assure you, they appear will normal in prints. It's only there when you pixel peep.

                  I suggest you try taking some more, and make sure they are adequately exposed. I have no doubt that the 50D performs better than the previous 40D, and the other 300-450D range of Canon cameras as I had done more than a few hundred thousand images with them.
                  http://www.pbase.com/chenws

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Canon 50D noise

                    Originally posted by chenws View Post
                    I went to Flickr and did a search for '50D, ISO400, noise' and only 1 image appeared.

                    dpreview had more discussion about noise at ISO400, but after reading through, they were more concerned about chroma noise, which I experienced with the 40D, but much improved with the 50D, but still cannot match the old 5D. The other concern about noise at 50D is at long exposure or when the shot was under-exposed, and the user bumped up exposure at post-processing; surely the noise will be there.

                    As you mentioned, it's hard to see noise in your subject; that's because they are well exposed. Normally it's the skies and bokeh (like you said) that the noise is apparent. I assure you, they appear will normal in prints. It's only there when you pixel peep.

                    I suggest you try taking some more, and make sure they are adequately exposed. I have no doubt that the 50D performs better than the previous 40D, and the other 300-450D range of Canon cameras as I had done more than a few hundred thousand images with them.

                    ok ..thanks

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Canon 50D noise

                      i've done print outs the size of AO, A1 and billboards the size of 2 intrakota buses, then i'll worry about noise
                      Your 1st 10,000 shots are your worst - H.C. Besson; thank god for memory cards.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Canon 50D noise

                        Nikon still better on the noise control?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Canon 50D noise

                          Originally posted by ROBERT View Post
                          Nikon still better on the noise control?
                          Nikon crowd control is better. Therefore their users make less noise, making it seem like Nikon camera got no problems.

                          Sorry, I can't help it, just joking. Maybe you should look up at comparisons on the internet on noise between the different brands and models. I say this over and over again, don't worry about noise if you have good light and correct exposure.
                          http://www.pbase.com/chenws

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Canon 50D noise

                            Originally posted by chenws View Post
                            Nikon crowd control is better. Therefore their users make less noise, making it seem like Nikon camera got no problems.

                            Sorry, I can't help it, just joking. Maybe you should look up at comparisons on the internet on noise between the different brands and models. I say this over and over again, don't worry about noise if you have good light and correct exposure.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Canon 50D noise

                              my friend also complain about noise and object details : (
                              waiting to sell it & buy 5d mkII.
                              shutter still not enuff 1k =_="

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X