Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternative lens for Nikon 50mm f/1.8 for D5000

Hi guys...

I need some advice here on what lens should I buy.

I own a D5000, and my 18-55mm kit lens has been serving me well so far. I am looking at buying a new lens for portrait shots. I will be going to Tasik Kenyir next week, and I think it's about time I invested in another lens. I gotta get a lens with motor inside as D5000 doesnt have it.

The lens I have in my mind is the Nikon 50mm f/1.8D AF Nikkor Autofocus. I've tried my hands on it, and it looks great in low light (I love taking candid shots around the dinner table).

I'm still a learner, and I prefer not to break the bank and get a high-end lens. Is there any alternative lens to the Nikon 50mm f/1.8D? Any other Nikkor lenses or anything from Sigma, Tamron or Tokina? Please advise.

Thanking you guys in advance.
    Last edited by nkavilan; 20-10-2009, 11:20 AM.

Re: Alternative lens for Nikon 50mm f/1.8 for D5000

nikkor afs 35mm 1.8
    my wsite = http://azroygila2remaja.fotopages.com

Comment

i was going to say tat too...

nikon afs 35 f/1.8...

alternatively, u can also look at the tamron sp 90 f/2.8 marco.
      it's great as a portrait len and also as a marco len.

Comment

i own a d5000 too and i was about to say 35mm 1.8 too. brand new is about RM750. not as much as the af-s 50mm 1.4. were u mentioning af 50mm 1.8? that wan doesn't have motor and u need to do manual focus.

Comment

No motor in body then you'll have to get a G lens. I have a friend using D40 that owns a 50mm f/1.8D. He said that he does not use it that often as its hard to be on MF all the time. A cheap portrait lens? My safest bet is 35mm f/1.8. Haven't used it before but most threads in this forum have nothing but praise for it.
          Photoshop can make a fat woman skinny!

Comment

i've contacted Boeing Electronics in Sq Wang... so far, they have cheaper price for 35mm f/1.8 - RM 780. That's lesser than what Photo Selangor and Tarita had quoted me.

Is there any other place that gives a cheaper price?

Comment

what about the ghosting or flare that people are saying about the 35mm f/1.8? Is it really that bad? The 50mm f/1.4G is too pricey for me now. And the manual focusing with the D lens will prove to be a headache for me.

Comment

had u tried Jone in amcorp mall?my fren got it for 750~

Comment

J One offered me 780 the other day. And that was after I bought a 70-300 and a Nissin di622 from him!! Its around there I guess.
                  Photoshop can make a fat woman skinny!

Comment

50mm 1.4G is good & expensive but it worth it dude.. 50mm 1.8D wont work with D5K.. have to manual focus all the time..

Comment

Originally posted by ijnek View Post
                      i was going to say tat too...

nikon afs 35 f/1.8...

alternatively, u can also look at the tamron sp 90 f/2.8 marco.
                      it's great as a portrait len and also as a marco len.
                      If you want a lens for portraits, a 35mm may be a bit short. The ideal distance to take a portrait is from 10 to 15 feet. At that distance, a 35mm on a DX would be anything from full to 3/4 body. Since you already have a 18-55, then the SP90 would do you well. I heard (unconfirmed) that J-One at AmCorp sells the SP90 at RM1.4K. I have the SP90 myself, and I love it.

Yoon Lee

Comment

I own D5k also. 70-200mm f2.8 should be the best portrait lens, but very pricy. I used cheaper 70-300mm VR for portrait outdoor, 35mm f1.8 for indoor. Like both. If you ask me which one if I can only choose one for now, I will go for 70-300mm VR.

Comment

im going with the 35mm f/1.8G.... thanx a lot guys!

Comment

afs 35mm f1.8g or afs 50mm f1.4 g

Comment

here's what ken rockwell is thinking about the 35mm 1.8
                              Compared to the 50mm f/1.4 AF-S
                              The $500 50mm f/1.4 AF-S is the same thing, just bigger, and 2.5 times more expensive. It adds a focus-distance scale, but that's it.

The 50mm also works on film and FX, as well as being 2/3 of a stop faster.

On DX, the 50mm lens becomes a short tele or portrait lens, while the 35mm is a normal lens on DX.
                              http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/35mm-f18.htm

Comment

Working...
                              X