Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what's recommended max ISO on D7000

Hi,

I'm testing my D7000 in the Pavillion last night with the auto ISO mode. the camera took most of the pics with very high ISO (>5000) and seem the details are losing out. I'm using the kit lens.

I'm thinking maybe the high ISO plus the auto focus selection are the cause for the lost of details. Any one can tell what's the max recommended ISO setting for D7000 before noise is taking over?

Thanks all

Re: what's recommended max ISO on D7000

i guess u can try it out yourself and judge at which ISO level the noise is intolerable to you. it varies from person to person

take photos at ISO100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200, 6400 and see until which is still OK for you. don't need it to be so complicated with tripod, controlled lighting etc. just a simple snap inside your room is adequate.

but while trying high ISO for noise, make sure the situation really is dark and require the high ISO to properly judge the noise. if u use high ISO when it's bright where low ISO will work just fine, normally it'll show less noise in the high ISO pic

Comment

just limit the auto ISO to 1600, i think its ample enuf for lowlights photography but still retain the quality
      www.amnicapture.com

Comment

I tried ISO 3200 still acceptable

Comment

yeah, agree with veronica, iso 3200 still ok

Comment

I would cap mine at 1600 coz I hate noise... It can really spoil your pics! Anyway, I have a SB900, just in case I need it... My D80 ISO sucks BIG TIME!
            Time is abstract... Time does not exist...

Comment

i'D SAY 6400 ISO "IF" you're a RAW shooter because of the latitude to de-Noise it on post whilst preserving the detail

3200 ISO for jPegs

Comment

I am shooting in RAW, and trying to keep it at ISO3200, but sometime has no choice to go ISO6400... So far, it's for my own collection, not commercial printing, so the quality is acceptable.

Comment

I dont mind the noise.. so dial until Hi 0.3 then step down one step..

Comment

i've been told in one of class that as a rule of thumb to go two stop below the highest available..but all about your choice and option for the speedlight is always there if needed be..cheers
                    http://rusdi3713.blogspot.com/

Comment

limit yourself to use below 6400

Comment

It's not about limiting urself to a certain iso bla bla but to know which situation require you to use those setting. To compare same iso speed with different situation is not rite at all. Get to know your tool (body & lense) and what they can do via reading and self experience.

And there's other tool called speedlite to help you to light up those places that didn't have enough light for your camera.

Comment

Sooner or later ,most D7k user would be using only ISO-Auto.

Comment

Originally posted by tyco View Post
                            Sooner or later ,most D7k user would be using only ISO-Auto.
                            You can set the limit ISO. Try shooting at different ISO, see the noise level and details that are loss especially on portraits; See the acceptable level to your choice and limit the ISO base on condition.

Personally, for JPEG, I find above ISO 800, some details are loss for portraits; you can compare the difference when shooting above ISO 1000 and ISO 800 or below. Kinda matching with dxomark rating on the ISO? Hmm....

Comment

If only I could choose the level of Auto ISO like i can choose exposure levels. the camera adjusts the ISO according to surroundings but i can choose to + or - the ISO levels according to my own taste.

do u guys get it?

e.g.
                              camera says best ISO for this situation is 3200.
                              but I think it gives too much noise at 3200 so i want it to go down a step so i set it to ISO -1 and the camera auto snaps at ISO 1600.
                              so then, when the camera says best ISO for a new situation is 800, it will auto take a pic at ISO 400.

or something like that....

Comment

Working...
                              X