D700 design flaw?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D700 design flaw?

Is it true that whenver you send D700 for repair (even to replace a small part of the camera body), you need to replace the rubber which cost around RM400? If this is true, isn't this consider a design flaw in Nikon camera and unfair to the consumer?

Re: D700 design flaw?

certain part, the technician need to open the rubber to have access to the part (to be replaced).
    after open, the external rubber obviously deformed already. would u want them to glue it back regardless?

same situation as when an engine changing piston ring, how can the mechanic do the work without opening the head?

Comment

It might help if you can tell us what part is it that they replaced?
      My Works: facebook.com/albertlimphotography

Comment

I had a faulty card reader about a year ago. To access it, they have to peel off the rubber grip and thus replace it after the repair job. FOC as the camera was under warranty then. They also replaced 2 pcs of rubber at the bottom FOC

Comment

Originally posted by daredevil123 View Post
          It might help if you can tell us what part is it that they replaced?
          They are replacing the exposure compensation button which cost less than RM20

Comment

Originally posted by tyco View Post
            certain part, the technician need to open the rubber to have access to the part (to be replaced).
            after open, the external rubber obviously deformed already. would u want them to glue it back regardless?

same situation as when an engine changing piston ring, how can the mechanic do the work without opening the head?
            They can open anything to repair but it will be unfair to replace the parts where it is not damaged. Do you accept where you have to re-paint your car every time you sent in for service?

In another word, does that means the minimum repair cost for the D700 is RM400++? Is this the same 'treatment' for other nikon models?

Comment

if that the case... designer yet found better design...
              www.flickr.com/asmawiyusof

Comment

Originally posted by tyco View Post

piston ring is cheap, the most expensive part when changing the ring is the cylinder block sleeve especially with newer alloy/aluminium engines, old cast iron block not much problems. then there's the head gasket,seals-hundreds of them, engine oil, coolant, etc,etc piston ring =rm50 each, total bill rm3000 to change piston ring......

ok back to camera talk......

Comment

Originally posted by bigaperture View Post
                  They can open anything to repair but it will be unfair to replace the parts where it is not damaged. Do you accept where you have to re-paint your car every time you sent in for service?

In another word, does that means the minimum repair cost for the D700 is RM400++? Is this the same 'treatment' for other nikon models?
                  i think its got to do with the glue of the rubber parts, once peeled off, it can't be re-glued
                  and yes, i think its unfair that the SC did not mentioned it beforehand.
                  btw, a full set of original rubbers for the d300s is about rm200 on ebay

Comment

Sometimes, the prices they charge is down right ridiculous - RM400 for a piece of rubber is cut throat. Once, I had to replace a tiny piece of spring in my panasonic camcorder, cost me RM280 and 1 month to do it. 1 week later, the repaired part became loose again. Cut throat price, lousy service and lousy repair work. I will never buy panasonic camcorder anymore. Manufacturers must understand that they need to provide good after sales service and reasonable prices so that people will be loyal to their brand. No point spending lots of money on adverts and sponsorship and running club activities to get a new customer, just to lose a customer because they want to charge 400 for a piece of rubber. There are lots of other alternative brands and products out there that a customer can jump-ship to.
                    D600, D700,D7000, 15 lenses & 3 flashes

Comment

When you drive a Mercedes, don't expect to pay cash for service. You need a Platinum Credit Card. Nikon is a premium brand. D700 is not a play play camera

Comment

Originally posted by ahmadabhamid View Post
                        When you drive a Mercedes, don't expect to pay cash for service. You need a Platinum Credit Card. Nikon is a premium brand. D700 is not a play play camera
                        Bro, You are comparing a 6k products with a 300k product. But that is not the point I want to discuss here. It is more like a car designed to replace the bonnet whenever the mechanic need to change the engine parts.

It is not about the ability to pay for the services, it is the design flaw (in my opinion) of the camera that need you to pay extra money for nothing. Imaging that if you send in your camera to repair today and get the rubber changed. Then another small/cheap body part damaged in few days/weeks, you got to replace the brand new rubber again?

Comment

Well, that's the problem when a market is being monopolized, you can't challange the price....
                          Just like when your newer generation Toyota consuming engine oil due to piston ring problems, changing the piston rings and workmanship are only rm2000. But when no third party foremen dare to touch it, you will have to send it back to Toyota SC. To make their life easier, they will change the head also to minimize their work hours on your car. It will cost you rm8000 in total... Again, you can't challange them on this....
                          Talking about design, why would engineers design an equipment to last forever? They even design the part to fail after a certain period of time, faster is better. Just say the D700 they design it to last 10 years, then after Nikon sells you a D700, for next 10 years they won't have any business from you except normal service(that some may do it outside or DIY) and buying new lense....
                          Last time we only have 1 manager that controls a company but today we have 20 useless managers to control a company....

Comment

Originally posted by bigaperture View Post
                            Bro, You are comparing a 6k products with a 300k product. But that is not the point I want to discuss here. It is more like a car designed to replace the bonnet whenever the mechanic need to change the engine parts.

It is not about the ability to pay for the services, it is the design flaw (in my opinion) of the camera that need you to pay extra money for nothing. Imaging that if you send in your camera to repair today and get the rubber changed. Then another small/cheap body part damaged in few days/weeks, you got to replace the brand new rubber again?
                            the next time, better make sure they return you the replaced rubber, or any other parts forthat matter insist on that! just like my mech who returns every single repaired part when my car needs changing/repairs, except the engine oil of course!

i wonder if nikon would layan if we bring our own parts to be replaced? i'll just tell them I cannibalised another d300s part to be repalced ! haha

Comment

You may ask but they won't give you back the parts that they change. Reason is, they need to prove it to the HQ that a part has been changed... This is an usual practise....

Comment

Working...
                              X