Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HELP - Nikon D80 "err"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • HELP - Nikon D80 "err"

    Shocked to see "err" on the top screen when I wanted to take a photo of my son's Pororo drawing.

    Thought the battery was low (1/3). Recharged it, same "err".

    Searched on the web. On guy suggested cleaning the lens and camera contacts. Done that. Still getting "err".

    Changed also the SD card. Same "err".

    The mirror sound now is softer. No picture is captured and no display. Shutter count is less than 20K. Shutter problem ?

    Please advise what I can try before sending it to Nikon for servicing.

    Appreciate feedback from those who have gone through the same experience. Cause of the problem, cost of repair etc.

    Many thanks.

    Cheerio.
    R E M M 2012

  • #2
    Re: HELP - Nikon D80 "err"

    reattach your lens?
    The best equipment in your bag is your attitude.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: HELP - Nikon D80 "err"

      try cleaning the electronic contacts of the lens and body. OR
      if u are using lenses that has aperture ring, set them to the smallest (highest number). eg f22 or whatever's available on the lens.
      www.ystingphotography.com

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: HELP - Nikon D80 "err"

        Remove the lens. Clean the contacts of the lens and the body. Reattach the lens.
        Or you can try another lens.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: HELP - Nikon D80 "err"

          Thanks.

          Tried all your suggestions. No success.

          Called Nikon and the lady said to send it in for them to have a look, most likely shutter problem. Less than 20K shutter count, now this rosak ! Expect better quality from Nikon.

          Hope the repair will not burn a hole in my pocket. Ha.
          R E M M 2012

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: HELP - Nikon D80 "err"

            A quick update.

            Nikon replied that gear & SR rosak with my D80.

            VR rosak with my 18-200 mm lens.

            Total cost about RM850. More than what I expected but have to repair them so that I can use them again. Hope to see a smaller amount later.

            Becoming one expensive hobby now, on top of other gadgets I have bought.

            On positive side, the rosak VR may explain whey my shots were blur. Looking forward to sharp sharp shots when I get my gears back. Ha. Luckily rosak after my Korea trip and not during the trip.
            R E M M 2012

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: HELP - Nikon D80 "err"

              Wow...RM850 for broken VR. Pity.
              I Love Expired Films...

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: HELP - Nikon D80 "err"

                Originally posted by plumberpm View Post
                Shocked to see "err" on the top screen when I wanted to take a photo of my son's Pororo drawing.

                Thought the battery was low (1/3). Recharged it, same "err".

                Searched on the web. On guy suggested cleaning the lens and camera contacts. Done that. Still getting "err".

                Changed also the SD card. Same "err".

                The mirror sound now is softer. No picture is captured and no display. Shutter count is less than 20K. Shutter problem ?

                Please advise what I can try before sending it to Nikon for servicing.

                Appreciate feedback from those who have gone through the same experience. Cause of the problem, cost of repair etc.

                Many thanks.

                Cheerio.
                You could try format your SD card on desktop/laptop first then insert into the camera.
                I encountered this when I cut and paste from the SD card into folder(desktop) and started using it again.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: HELP - Nikon D80 "err"

                  Originally posted by irenecal View Post
                  You could try format your SD card on desktop/laptop first then insert into the camera.
                  I encountered this when I cut and paste from the SD card into folder(desktop) and started using it again.
                  I copied a video file to that SD card. Later I got the err message. Deleted that file. Same error. Also tried other SD card. Same error. So I think the problem was something more serious.

                  Thanks for your sharing.
                  R E M M 2012

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: HELP - Nikon D80 "err"

                    how much the total cost exclude the VR problem?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: HELP - Nikon D80 "err"

                      Originally posted by makoshark View Post
                      how much the total cost exclude the VR problem?
                      makoshark,

                      Parts & labour = about RM250 for solving the D80 gear & SR problems.
                      R E M M 2012

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: HELP - Nikon D80 "err"

                        i see, my friend's D7000 just faced this problem last week, i followed him send his body to Nikon PJ, the problem is exactly same with u, shutter wont work, only mirror flip up, nikon will quote the problem & costing next week, btw the sc only at 40k ++

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: HELP - Nikon D80 "err"

                          Originally posted by makoshark View Post
                          i see, my friend's D7000 just faced this problem last week, i followed him send his body to Nikon PJ, the problem is exactly same with u, shutter wont work, only mirror flip up, nikon will quote the problem & costing next week, btw the sc only at 40k ++
                          I see. If it is gear or SR problem also, that is a worry with these poor build quality from Nikon especially for such low shutter count (10K+ & 40k+).
                          R E M M 2012

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: HELP - Nikon D80 "err"

                            bro how long nikon took to repair ur gear?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: HELP - Nikon D80 "err"

                              Originally posted by makoshark View Post
                              bro how long nikon took to repair ur gear?
                              Within a week ! Excellent fast service. Now waiting for the delivery.
                              R E M M 2012

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X