Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Teleconverter for 18-200 mm Nikkor VR

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Teleconverter for 18-200 mm Nikkor VR

    Hi Guys,
    Thinking of buying one teleconverter for my Nikkor 18-200 mm VR lens but not sure which one to buy, the tamron 2X or the Nikkor 1.7X. Any advise from the members is much apprecated.

  • #2
    Re: Teleconverter for 18-200 mm Nikkor VR

    I can only say that it is not recommended by the "sifu" to use a TC on a high power slow zoom like your 18-200mm.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Teleconverter for 18-200 mm Nikkor VR

      it not compatible.... and no need for 18-200 nikon coz it a DX format..

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Teleconverter for 18-200 mm Nikkor VR

        I don't think the 18-200 VR is compatible with any teleconverter. The rear lens element will protrude into the TC element and get damaged.

        With max aperture of f/5.6 at the tele end, you won't have enough light for your AF to work properly once you factor in the light loss resulting from adding on a TC as well.

        Cheers.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Teleconverter for 18-200 mm Nikkor VR

          Teleconverter cannot be fitted to the 18-200mm. Period!

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Teleconverter for 18-200 mm Nikkor VR

            the problem with nikon is that not all neekon lense can use the nikon teleconverters . technical or marketing reasons only nikon knows. so come third parties with metering, AF even VR function working.

            example with the old 80-400mm VR lense the metering , AF(very slow) and VR works with the 1.4X teleplus pro 300 teleconverters.

            so tried with the 18-200 VR. with the following results

            VR- OK
            metering - OK
            AF-OK still as fast

            and the pics with 1 min of PS still good to my old tired eyes.

            without the 1.4X at 200mm


            with the 1.4X at 200mm (i guess this is equivalent to 280mm)


            third parties do not report their presence to the body.

            cheers

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Teleconverter for 18-200 mm Nikkor VR

              Originally posted by mirebus
              the problem with nikon is that not all neekon lense can use the nikon teleconverters . technical or marketing reasons only nikon knows. so come third parties with metering, AF even VR function working.

              example with the old 80-400mm VR lense the metering , AF(very slow) and VR works with the 1.4X teleplus pro 300 teleconverters.

              so tried with the 18-200 VR. with the following results

              VR- OK
              metering - OK
              AF-OK still as fast

              and the pics with 1 min of PS still good to my old tired eyes.

              third parties do not report their presence to the body.

              cheers
              A bit confuse here, other members say I cannot fit the teleconverter to the 18-200 mm VR, but you said otherwise + tested it . From the results, still acceptable results. Am I missing something here... help please.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Teleconverter for 18-200 mm Nikkor VR

                Originally posted by Jeff7669
                A bit confuse here, other members say I cannot fit the teleconverter to the 18-200 mm VR, but you said otherwise + tested it . From the results, still acceptable results. Am I missing something here... help please.
                well the results speak for itself. my 18-200 VR is made in thailand and from a later series bought just before raya. maybe those made in japan has a different back end assembly for production reasons. and the kenko pro 300 1.4X is made for nikon glasses.

                goto a shop which has a kenko pro 300 and bring your lense and body. if look OK test it. take care not to meet glass with glass.... ouch.

                i will test the kenko 2X teleconverter soon though not expecting great results.

                cheers

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Teleconverter for 18-200 mm Nikkor VR

                  Originally posted by mirebus
                  well the results speak for itself. my 18-200 VR is made in thailand and from a later series bought just before raya. maybe those made in japan has a different back end assembly for production reasons. and the kenko pro 300 1.4X is made for nikon glasses.

                  goto a shop which has a kenko pro 300 and bring your lense and body. if look OK test it. take care not to meet glass with glass.... ouch.

                  i will test the kenko 2X teleconverter soon though not expecting great results.

                  cheers
                  Thank You..my 18-200 VR also made in Thailand, so will certainly look for the teleconverter and I'am realy looking forward with your test with Kenko 2.0X. Again, thank you for your help.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Teleconverter for 18-200 mm Nikkor VR

                    Originally posted by mirebus
                    well the results speak for itself. my 18-200 VR is made in thailand and from a later series bought just before raya. maybe those made in japan has a different back end assembly for production reasons. and the kenko pro 300 1.4X is made for nikon glasses.

                    goto a shop which has a kenko pro 300 and bring your lense and body. if look OK test it. take care not to meet glass with glass.... ouch.

                    i will test the kenko 2X teleconverter soon though not expecting great results.

                    cheers
                    that means u can use the kenko 1.4x TC for 18-200mm VR lens...
                    that good.. im thinking getting to have 1 oso.. so the apeture will drop 1 stop?? 5.6 -> 6.3?? izzit??

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Teleconverter for 18-200 mm Nikkor VR

                      manage to get down to do the "test" with the Kenko Teleplus 300 pro 1.4x and the 2.0X non DG version. The DG version is suppose to be better. light falloff is due to uneven lighting from a single fluorescent study lamp.


                      the 18-200 VR at 200mm




                      add the 1.4X teleconverter




                      add the 2.0X teleconverter




                      and lastly the stack 1.4X with 2.0X to give equivalent of 2.8X teleconverter.
                      the blurr maybe from the camera shake or OOF or both. this is only to show that the teleconverters can be stacked as per canon's 1.4X and 2X extenders.





                      judge for yourself whether the image is acceptable to you.

                      cheers

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X