(Geartalk) Lens choices with the Olympus OM-D EM-5

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (Geartalk) Lens choices with the Olympus OM-D EM-5

Originally published on my blog. Reprinting here for sharing with the PM community.

Received a question from a reader today: I recently bought the Olympus OM-D EM-5, what lenses should i start with, i'm interested in street and landscape photography.

First of all, my best advice would be to always visualize and frame the shot first, "see" the photograph in your mind, only then choose the the correct lens to enable you to capture it. This will train your eye better, and allow you to make compositionally competent decisions. If you look at things the other way around, then the lens becomes your keeper, it can become a shackle to your creativity.

P3102384-Edit by aizuddindanian, on Flickr

Headshots and portraiture are an easy example of where you need the "see" the framing of the shot before choosing the appropriate focal length. The reason why 85mm-90mm lenses are popular portrait focal lengths is because the lens gives the subject and photographer a comfortable separation/working distance.

Having said that, a camera needs a lens. And when we're dealing with an interchangeable system camera such as the OM-D Micro Four Thirds, the choices are many and can be quite confusing. So based on your needs, i'll recommend a few workable options.

The new Olympus 12-50mm that acts as the kit lens for the OM-D is quite a stellar performer. Weather-sealed just like the body, it covers a great range of focal lengths pretty competently. It also has a macro mode that works quite well. So if you need one lens that works through most scenarios, this one will work. Having said that, f3.5-f6.3 is pretty slow so low-light and bokeh opportunities will be limited with it.

If not the 12-50mm, there are two lenses in particular that i really like for the M43 system, the Olympus 12/2 and the Olympus 45/1.8 and i'd recommend both very highly. Both lenses are blazingly fast, low-light will not be a problem. For the 45/1.8, wide open, bokeh is creamy delicious. Although i don't own the 12/2, i've tested it quite a bit, and have been impressed at how sharp and distortion free it is even at max aperture.

Generally speaking, and i urge you to read the first paragraph above again at this point, the 45/1.8 is a very competent portrait lens that offers a good amount of pulling power in most other scenarios. The 12/2 is suited for the street, and also useful for landscapes where the subject (e.g. Mother Nature) tends to envelop a larger area thus requiring a wider frame.

P5260008-Edit by aizuddindanian, on Flickr

Bokeh-licious, Olympus 45mm f1.8

P5110115 by aizuddindanian, on Flickr

Sharp and distortion free, Olympus 45mm f1.8

Price-wise, the 45/1.8 is a steal. You can probably find it at some places for RM950. It really is a no brainer if you own a M43 system camera. The 12/2 is much more dear -- RM2200 is about the lowest price i've found. It all depends on your purchasing power: for some people RM2200 is not much. In that case, go for it. You won't regret it.

If budget is a concern, i'd still recommend the 45/1.8 and one other, the Panasonic ASPH 14mm f/2.5. The Panny 14/2.5 is a pretty understated lens; some people look down on it because it's the kit lens for the Panasonic GF3. Some also say that it's soft around the edges when wide open (which is true), and that CA (chromatic aberration) is a problem in high-contrast scenarios (which is true). Optically, it is an inferior lens to the Olympus 12/2 but that's not to say that it can't product good results. Knowing the limitation of the lens allows you work around them.

Bagman by aizuddindanian, on Flickr

No worries about the edges being soft when they aren't a part of the subject, right? Panasonic ASPH 14mm f2.5

The Leica M-Monochrom by aizuddindanian, on Flickr

Wide open, sharp as a tack in the center. See the lines, and the lack of distortion. Panasonic ASPH 14mm f2.5

Slicing dexterity - 2 packets a minute! by aizuddindanian, on Flickr

Wide open, you'll notice some minor vignetting. Work that into the shot so that it doesn't matter. Panasonic ASPH 14mm f2.5

And all of this at a remarkable price point: RM600 -- go to the larger shops (i got mine from the camera shop in KLCC) where customers who buy the Panasonic GF3 do not want the 14/2.5 lens that comes with it. Shops will generally take the lens out and put it up for sale separately. "Open lenses" like these sell at a remarkable discount: a boxed 14/2.5 will cost RM1200-1300.

So there you go. Always remember -- frame the photograph first, then worry about the focal length. Once you've squared away the discipline required to do this, then get your lenses. For the Olympus OM-D EM-5, the ones i'd recommend are the Olympus 12/2 and the Olympus 45/1.8. It's a dream team. Almost like having LeBron James and Kevin Durant in the same team -- one has the range, the other has the finesse, both are amazingly powerful and versatile.

For the budget conscious, the Panasonic ASPH 14mm f2.5 is no slouch and worthy of consideration. Another notable mention is the Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 25mm f1.4 -- amazing 50mm equivalent lens built to Leica specs. Also, if you're able to hold off a little while on the 45/1.8, i would suggest comparing that against the soon-to-arrive Olympus 75mm f1.8. It might be a little too long for some, but you might like it, worth a try.

SEE ALSO, other Olympus OM-D Posts here on PM:

First Impressions: http://www.photomalaysia.com/forums/...mpus-OM-D-EM-5
    Street Photography: http://www.photomalaysia.com/forums/...mpus-OM-D-EM-5
    Low-Light Performance: http://www.photomalaysia.com/forums/...mpus-OM-D-EM-5
    Last edited by adic88; 21-06-2012, 10:53 AM.
    Photoblog: http://www.aizuddindanian.com/voi

Re: (Geartalk) Lens choices with the Olympus OM-D EM-5

Thank you for the useful tips!

Comment

Originally posted by hendrix View Post
      Thank you for the useful tips!
      you're welcome!

Comment

good writeup.

depending on your "street"...a pany 7-14 or fisheye, can sometimes be useful...similarly for some landscape a pany 100-300 for the compression...

some other links for inspiration...http://www.paulszynol.com/

Comment

Originally posted by dwRK View Post
          good writeup.

depending on your "street"...a pany 7-14 or fisheye, can sometimes be useful...similarly for some landscape a pany 100-300 for the compression...

some other links for inspiration...http://www.paulszynol.com/
          Absolutely correct! However, haven't used those lenses, therefore was unable to give an opinion on those.

Comment

Do consider the very cheap Sigma 30 mm f2.8. It's a stellar performer as well..... ( as is the 19mm f2.8 ) Check my review at http://mychiaroscuro.net/forums/showthread.php?t=6951

Comment

yes...i have both sigma 19 and 30...they are great...subjectively i find the 19 slightly better...however they are a bit close together...i would go 14 and 30 on two primes cheap...

the new 12-35x is probably the best for walk around street...waiting for stock

the samyang fisheye...this lens is sharp, no ca, no flare, no ghost, from corner to corner...if required hugin/panini profile to semi-fix the FE effect (vert is strighten, horiz has some curves) to get quite natural ultrawide angle look...

if I need just one lens the 12-50 is pretty good enough...end of the day for me EQ wins over IQ...

Comment

Just a short note, If your lens you chose comes with IS, like the Lumix 45-200 and the 14-140, remember to switch off the IS as the in body will crash with the on lens IS. you can only use either one.
                Member of Mychiaroscuro.net. A 4/3 user Forum.

Comment

Recently i shoot this.

Combination of OM-D + SAMYANG 7.5mm f3.5 Fisheye

Name:  1be3f43d581f64ac25eb05568fd6ae2b.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  124.0 KB

Comment

Anybody combine with the Panasonic Leica D 25mm for 4/3 system and how was it if compare to the DG version? thanks.

Comment

Working...
                    X