Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[help] Entry-level Dslr? Or A Prosumer Camera?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [help] Entry-level Dslr? Or A Prosumer Camera?

I'm not sure if this post is submitted in the corrent sub-forum.

I need your fellow PM-ers' help for decent advices.

I've been playing around with a compact camera from home for some years. I noticed that there were a lot of limitations, FOR SURE. So i've been wanted to get a better camera. Then I had an eye for Canon S2 IS, as I liked what it had everything in one.

Then, a friend recommended me that I might as well just get a entry-level DSLR for the alil more than the similar price with better effect. It's Pentax *ist DL.

Again, I wonder, another friend tells me that, it's too far a hop to just get a budget DSLR like that. So right now I'm in some kindda dilemma.

Just wanna know, how did you all enter the DSLR world? other than the SLR thingy. What camera you used as the first DSLR or before the transision.

So, just wanna see you guys' experience then make my own decision....which is in 2 weeks time cos I will be away on a trip. Gonna need a camera by then

Thanks ppl!! :thumbsup:

here's the dpreview.com reviews for both models.

Pentax *isd DL updated link
    Canon S2 IS

Most dealers would probably drop down the price for the *ist DS due to the new release of the ist DS2. Great camera to be sure and them Pentax lenses are great!

A prosumer and an SLR are actually in different ranges so they can't really be compared with one another. however, the SLR will provide u more flexibility when you want to further your technique. plus, they last longer too my dua sen
    www.facebook.com/TheCentreForAsianPhotographers

Comment

It all depends on whether you want....

DSLR/SLR
      Full featured machine & control over your picture taking
      Expandable / scalable system depending on shooting conditions
      Fast / responsiveness

P&S
      Portability / Pocketability
      Discreet
      Decent picture quality with minimal hassel
      Convenience

Even after years of owning a DLSR, I still take my "prosumer" vintage 5700 out for candid shots - family dinners, parties etc where a full size DSLR would be too much hassel to take care of.

There's a place & time for everything.

chien

Comment

You may want to read this P&S Vs SLR.

Comment

Originally posted by groovykarma@Sep 6 2005, 01:49 PM

Just wanna know, how did you all enter the DSLR world? other than the SLR thingy.

go from the backdoor.

Comment

hahaha.... good one sis.... errr... groovykarma, just ignore sisterlance.... she just being herself....

Comment

Originally posted by blur@Sep 6 2005, 02:22 PM
              You may want to read this P&S Vs SLR.

Thanks, blur. I'll read on that.

Comment

this a 100% crop section from a 6mp jpeg file from the pentax ds* using a cheapo 28mm lens.

Comment

Originally posted by Sisterlance@Sep 6 2005, 03:29 PM
                  this a 100% crop section from a 6mp jpeg file from the pentax ds* using a cheapo 28mm lens.
                  pentax ds* ....cheapo 28mm lens
                  = [Message] person behind the camera????

i have both. one for quality, one for memories....

n film too..

buy both.

Comment

The baby is cute!!

Quality not bad.

Anyway, the resource for this PENTAX is quite limited, i think. I find it hard to get it from internet.

Comment

Originally posted by groovykarma@Sep 6 2005, 03:50 PM
                      Anyway, the resource for this PENTAX is quite limited, i think. I find it hard to get it from internet.
                      You may try this thread about Pentax .... http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1036

Hope it also help you in whatever you are looking for ...

Comment

You already have a compact.. time to upgrade to DSLR

Comment

If you think you are really into photography, get a DSLR.

I bought 2 digital prosumer cam before I jumped into DSLR. And I don't look back since I jumped ship 3 years ago. Plan your budget properly. It can cost you.

I have to admit P&S is still fun to use once a while for family snap.
                          http://www.pbase.com/kelvin_khor

Comment

One thing I always thought of was that, if i straight away jump into DSLR, and don't really get a good camera body, it'll be quite a waste for the need later on. Maybe I should get myself familiarize with a prosumer before heading for it.

But, DSLR is really tempting.....

impin_ted:

Comment

depends on whether or not u can adapt well and absorb the features from a DSLR. heck, take time to research before choosing a system because more or less you'll be stuck with a system for a long long time. don't switch like me halfway :lol:
                              www.facebook.com/TheCentreForAsianPhotographers

Comment

Working...
                              X