Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need Advice: What to pack for offshore trip?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Need Advice: What to pack for offshore trip?

    Hi All,

    I'll be travelling offshore for the first time this week and would like to ask what to bring/to pack for the trip.

    I'll be spending a week as a technician.

    A few of my friends advised me to bring these items (for personal usage in addition to the PPEs):

    1. Collared or polo shirts - Some oil platforms do not allow you to wear round neck or t-shirts.
    2. Shoes - Bring an extra pair of shoes in addition to the safty boot.
    3. Long pants / jeans - some oil platforms do not allow you to wear shorts.

    Any other items that I'm missing?

    What should I pack these items in? Would a normal backpack sufficient? Or does it have to be in a specific offshore travel duffle bag?

    What about the no. of luggage permitted as I'll be taking with me a laptop. I prefer not to pack the laptop together with the personal items.

    Also, can I use my ipod while en route to the platform? I'll either be travelling by boat or by a helicopter.

    Appreciate your advice.

    Thanks.

  • #2
    Re: Need Advice: What to pack for offshore trip?

    A good friend of mine, working for an established US based Oil & Gas company.
    The first time he arrived on the platform, he was greeted with "Hey buddy! Nice a#$ you've got there! How long you'll be here?".
    The next time, he went there with a teaser gun.......

    Until now, we can't confirm whether he's joking or serious....
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/paklan-the-macha/

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Need Advice: What to pack for offshore trip?

      Originally posted by paklan View Post
      A good friend of mine, working for an established US based Oil & Gas company.
      The first time he arrived on the platform, he was greeted with "Hey buddy! Nice a#$ you've got there! How long you'll be here?".
      The next time, he went there with a teaser gun.......

      Until now, we can't confirm whether he's joking or serious....
      he must have had a good time there with his teaser gun..

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Need Advice: What to pack for offshore trip?

        Originally posted by paklan View Post
        A good friend of mine, working for an established US based Oil & Gas company.
        The first time he arrived on the platform, he was greeted with "Hey buddy! Nice a#$ you've got there! How long you'll be here?".
        The next time, he went there with a teaser gun.......

        Until now, we can't confirm whether he's joking or serious....
        demm..another advice from a different perspective. I better say to them that I'll be there for 1 week only.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Need Advice: What to pack for offshore trip?

          Originally posted by Mohd.Shaza View Post
          I better say to them that I'll be there for 1 week only.
          With the knowledge of a 1 week time constraint, they might wish to hasten their intentions on you

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Need Advice: What to pack for offshore trip?

            Teaser gun or Tazer gun?

            2 totally different items we are talking here.....

            Or perhaps he went and buy a few Fleshlights to bring over??
            Saya Ipoh Mali...jom pergi tengok jetfynn.com

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Need Advice: What to pack for offshore trip?

              See the replies in red

              Originally posted by Mohd.Shaza View Post
              Hi All,

              I'll be travelling offshore for the first time this week and would like to ask what to bring/to pack for the trip.

              I'll be spending a week as a technician.

              A few of my friends advised me to bring these items (for personal usage in addition to the PPEs):

              1. Collared or polo shirts - Some oil platforms do not allow you to wear round neck or t-shirts.
              2. Shoes - Bring an extra pair of shoes in addition to the safty boot.
              3. Long pants / jeans - some oil platforms do not allow you to wear shorts.

              Any other items that I'm missing?

              If I were you I'd bring some toiletries, they usually just give a bar of soap, bring some entertainment too, books, movies...etc, also bring a pair of slippers, and if you are going there for less than a week, i suggest you bring enough clothes for the week, cause if you use their laundry, they will use a marker pen and write your room number on your clothes...

              What should I pack these items in? Would a normal backpack sufficient? Or does it have to be in a specific offshore travel duffle bag?

              Anything is ok, as long as it is not too big and it can fit inside the chopper, do remember though that you have a very low baggage allowance when taking a helicopter, normally its less than 10kg. If you are bringing tools, you will have to inform the helibase personnel or the person that arrange your trip in advance so they can make allowance for extra weight


              What about the no. of luggage permitted as I'll be taking with me a laptop. I prefer not to pack the laptop together with the personal items.

              If you are taking chopper, its the same as a regular flight, you will have checkin luggage and hand carry luggage, although you dont actually get access to your hand carry luggage, its just that you hold on to it until you are ready to board and they put them into the luggage compartment the last. All your valuables should go into this hand carry luggage

              Also, can I use my ipod while en route to the platform? I'll either be travelling by boat or by a helicopter.

              By Boat i've got no idea, all of my travel to platforms has been by helicopter, and the answer is NO. But i've seen some of people smuggling a wireless mp3 player that hangs on the ears. Plus, unless you have isolating earphones, you wont be able to hear a thing anyway.

              Appreciate your advice.

              Thanks.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Need Advice: What to pack for offshore trip?

                Consider what to leave behind as well, such as a last will ..
                Portfolio / Blog / Photography Course | Instagram | Twitter

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Need Advice: What to pack for offshore trip?

                  Originally posted by paklan View Post
                  A good friend of mine, working for an established US based Oil & Gas company.
                  The first time he arrived on the platform, he was greeted with "Hey buddy! Nice a#$ you've got there! How long you'll be here?".
                  The next time, he went there with a teaser gun.......

                  Until now, we can't confirm whether he's joking or serious....
                  He didn't share more with you?
                  - bring lots of lotion
                  - don't bend over to pick up the soap during bath if you or someone drop it

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Need Advice: What to pack for offshore trip?

                    I am working in an established local based US Oil & Gas company. I am not sure which company attach with and which rig you are going. But all of the rigs I had been there, they will collect my dirty clothes (will give a net bag with the room number) which inside a net bag from my bed room door twice per day. All of the dirty clothes will be washed by hot water (Better not to bring any shirt with cheap color printing or rubber material). They will place the washed clothes inside the bag and place in front of your room and nicely folded.

                    Short pant is allow when you are inside your room, mess room(Canteen) or office area. When you are step out from office, you need to have coverall, safety helmet and safety boots on. Some need safety goggles. Otherwise, someone will give you the stop card and they will throw you out from the rig.

                    No slipper allow in most of the rig. But crocs, sportshoe, sandles are allow when inside office area. And you are not allow to wear safety boots and dirty coverall inside the mess room.

                    What I bring along normally are:
                    1) Coverall (if company provided.)
                    2) Safety boots (if company provided.)
                    3) Safety helmet (if company provided.)
                    4) Jean x 1
                    5) Jacket/sweater x 1 (the aircon is 24 hours non stop.)
                    6) Short pant x 1
                    7) Tshirt x 2-3 depends on how frequent you change and wash.
                    Sportshoe or croc x 1 pair
                    9) Some reading material like photography magazines, ipod, laptop and etc. No playboy pls. (So far I saw only 1 rig is one eye close with pornography stuff)
                    10) Some sweets/candies or junk food. But no durian and alcohol allow. You won't get hungry when you are on the rig. Foods are 24 hours... but no sweets or junk food provided.

                    Normally I will pack all the clothes and shoes in a bag (around 10-15kg), then another bag with laptop, camera, ipod and some other electric stuff).

                    Hope this helps...
                    www.twineffects.blogspot.com

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Need Advice: What to pack for offshore trip?

                      No worries about the overweight bags. They might assign you to go by boat if the chopper can't take you. I am 56kg only. So plus my bags are less than 100kg. You should see those mat salleh who weight more than 100kg + their bags...

                      All electric stuff is not allow on the chopper. But I do saw lot of engineers taking photo by using their handphone. (I was using fully mechanical slr or lomo to take photo) Ipod and laptop are allow to use when you are on the boat....

                      No worries about homosexual. hahaha...No one will touch you. But do ask if you are not sure or want to borrow something.

                      Bring your own toiletries if you dislike to share with others. And bring a small lock which you can lock the locker where you are keeping your stuff.
                      www.twineffects.blogspot.com

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Need Advice: What to pack for offshore trip?

                        Originally posted by itssg View Post
                        What I bring along normally are:
                        1) Coverall (if company provided.)
                        2) Safety boots (if company provided.)
                        3) Safety helmet (if company provided.)
                        4) Jean x 1
                        5) Jacket/sweater x 1 (the aircon is 24 hours non stop.)
                        6) Short pant x 1
                        7) Tshirt x 2-3 depends on how frequent you change and wash.
                        Sportshoe or croc x 1 pair
                        9) Some reading material like photography magazines, ipod, laptop and etc. No playboy pls. (So far I saw only 1 rig is one eye close with pornography stuff)
                        10) Some sweets/candies or junk food. But no durian and alcohol allow. You won't get hungry when you are on the rig. Foods are 24 hours... but no sweets or junk food provided.

                        Normally I will pack all the clothes and shoes in a bag (around 10-15kg), then another bag with laptop, camera, ipod and some other electric stuff).

                        Hope this helps...
                        Originally posted by itssg View Post
                        No worries about the overweight bags. They might assign you to go by boat if the chopper can't take you. I am 56kg only. So plus my bags are less than 100kg. You should see those mat salleh who weight more than 100kg + their bags...

                        All electric stuff is not allow on the chopper. But I do saw lot of engineers taking photo by using their handphone. (I was using fully mechanical slr or lomo to take photo) Ipod and laptop are allow to use when you are on the boat....

                        No worries about homosexual. hahaha...No one will touch you. But do ask if you are not sure or want to borrow something.

                        Bring your own toiletries if you dislike to share with others. And bring a small lock which you can lock the locker where you are keeping your stuff.
                        Thanks for the heads up, sir. This definitely helps. Well, the platform that I'll be on will be about 40 minutes from the shipyard, so I'm guessing I'll be most probably be travelling by boat.

                        Speaking of weight, I'm about 100kg already, does this mean they will weigh you plus your luggage as well? In that case, I have no choice but to travel by boat. I'm sure this does not include the equipments to be used for the job, right?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Need Advice: What to pack for offshore trip?

                          Originally posted by Miradz View Post
                          See the replies in red
                          Thanks for the info, sir. This definitely helps. Now, I'm ready to pack my stuff.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Need Advice: What to pack for offshore trip?

                            Originally posted by Mohd.Shaza View Post
                            Thanks for the heads up, sir. This definitely helps. Well, the platform that I'll be on will be about 40 minutes from the shipyard, so I'm guessing I'll be most probably be travelling by boat.

                            Speaking of weight, I'm about 100kg already, does this mean they will weigh you plus your luggage as well? In that case, I have no choice but to travel by boat. I'm sure this does not include the equipments to be used for the job, right?
                            If its only 40 minutes from the shipyard, there are only a few rigs in Malaysia this close, which are in Sarawak, Miri / Bintulu area.

                            Not sure about going by boat, but normally if you are going to travel by helicopter, they will ask you to fill in a chopper booking form, which will include your body weight and luggage weight

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Need Advice: What to pack for offshore trip?

                              40mins away from shipyard....the distance is by boat or by chopper? if 40mins by chopper, it might take 4-6 hours by boat. But if 40mins away by boat, normally they will just use boat instead of chopper. Depends on urgent you are required to get on the rig.

                              And yes....they are going to ask you to carry your bags and yourself to stand on the scale.
                              www.twineffects.blogspot.com

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X