Ceiling fans

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ceiling fans

I'm looking for ceiling fans for my new home, all the while I have been using Panasonic fans. I found the remote control type not so good, just about 7 years old and it's already making creaking noises.

Currently considering Alpha brand. Any one has any experience on Alpha ceiling fans? The remote control models are generally cheaper than the Panasonic versions... All shops say Alpha fans comes with 3 years warranty on the motor while panasonic only 1 year warranty.

Appreciate your opinion. Thanks.

Re: Ceiling fans

I fitted my present house with Alpha fans a few years ago - 4 nos. 5-bladed and 4 nos. 4-bladed. Just after the 1-year warranty period, the remote control cannot work, one after another. I did replace one set of the receiver. Each time the technician comes, they charged RM60, receiver another RM80, if I can remember correctly. I have given up on the remote. I have converted two with KDK regulator. One fan is out, waiting for repair. Another just moves at one speed, still bearable. There is no problem with the motor. It works just fine. It's the remote that is hopeless. These were the Alpha fans I bought a few years ago. I have no idea about today's Alpha fan but I am not going to be a fan of Alpha anymore. Hopefully, they have made some improvement. Just to share my experience since you ask.

Comment

I use KDK....non remote control type. Old fashioned but it is still the best.
      Maxby has a facebook too

PhotoSafari - each experience is a different

Comment

Originally posted by photogenie View Post
        I fitted my present house with Alpha fans a few years ago - 4 nos. 5-bladed and 4 nos. 4-bladed. Just after the 1-year warranty period, the remote control cannot work, one after another. I did replace one set of the receiver. Each time the technician comes, they charged RM60, receiver another RM80, if I can remember correctly. I have given up on the remote. I have converted two with KDK regulator. One fan is out, waiting for repair. Another just moves at one speed, still bearable. There is no problem with the motor. It works just fine. It's the remote that is hopeless. These were the Alpha fans I bought a few years ago. I have no idea about today's Alpha fan but I am not going to be a fan of Alpha anymore. Hopefully, they have made some improvement. Just to share my experience since you ask.
        Thanks for sharing... I didn't think about the possibilities of remotes breaking down. One wouldn't have expected the remotes to screw up....

Comment

Originally posted by maxby View Post
          I use KDK....non remote control type. Old fashioned but it is still the best.
          I heard KDK and Panasonic are the same now. Pana manufactures for KDK.

Comment

Why would ceiling fans need remote? I very, very rarely need to change the fan speed to other than Medium. I set to medium, and make sure it automatically turns on whenever I tekan the switch on my wall.

Comment

oh ya, does Alpha do that? or must you switch on and then tekan remote to get it turn on? My old Pana is default at medium speed, so when u turn on the switch it'll turn on at medium speed without using the remote.

Comment

I've been using Alpha & Elmark ceiling fans with the speed controller remotes for more than a year now and have not encountered any of the problems described above thus far.

Comment

...my 3 alpha fans remote controls kaput...i modified it to manual, old style ...dun really trust the remotes for ceiling fans...

Comment

I transfer my old fans from the old house bought since 1984 and still running strong in my present house...its National !!

Comment

I had a 10 years plus old KDK celing fan with remote running, coincidently the motor died last month, took it to KDK, told me model already obsolute, brought it over to Pana for a second opinion, got it repair under 50.00 parts and labor.....

Comment

Originally posted by C-Fu View Post
                        Why would ceiling fans need remote? I very, very rarely need to change the fan speed to other than Medium. I set to medium, and make sure it automatically turns on whenever I tekan the switch on my wall.
                        It's a lot more convenient to install if you don't previously already have a wall mounted speed rheostat. It's either remote, an unsightly wire extending all the way down to the speed dial on the wall, or you hammer-drill the wall all the way to hide that wire.

Comment

Originally posted by Jay-Z View Post
                          I've been using Alpha & Elmark ceiling fans with the speed controller remotes for more than a year now and have not encountered any of the problems described above thus far.
                          Ya that's what I thought... I mean how hard is it to make remotes right?

Originally posted by seethoe View Post
                          ...my 3 alpha fans remote controls kaput...i modified it to manual, old style ...dun really trust the remotes for ceiling fans...
                          Couldn't you just buy replacement remotes?

Originally posted by benjihoney View Post
                          I transfer my old fans from the old house bought since 1984 and still running strong in my present house...its National !!
                          Yes, I agree. National ROCKS but I can't say the same for the new Panas......

I've got a 20 year old National split aircon, that still works! despite not servicing it ... at all.

Originally posted by prchunter View Post
                          I had a 10 years plus old KDK celing fan with remote running, coincidently the motor died last month, took it to KDK, told me model already obsolute, brought it over to Pana for a second opinion, got it repair under 50.00 parts and labor.....
                          Ya there's proof... KDKs are actually Panas.

Originally posted by chinks View Post
                          It's a lot more convenient to install if you don't previously already have a wall mounted speed rheostat. It's either remote, an unsightly wire extending all the way down to the speed dial on the wall, or you hammer-drill the wall all the way to hide that wire.
                          Very good point there.

Comment

Originally posted by Sushimonster View Post
                            Couldn't you just buy replacement remotes?

yea, but when all three fails on you, it doesn't gives you much confident. maybe they have improved....

Comment

When a remote fails, it could be the transmitter or the receiver or both. If it happens to be both, and added the cost the technician is going to charge for labour, you are on the way to getting a brand new wired ceiling fan. The wired type has proven to be a durable workhorse for years, even decades, as can be seen in some old coffee shops with a semi-spherical motor housing.

Comment

Working...
                              X