google-site-verification: googleff3ef223fa187539.html NSTP files defamation suits against two bloggers - PhotoMalaysia Community

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NSTP files defamation suits against two bloggers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NSTP files defamation suits against two bloggers

http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/n...le/local1_html

what do u think?
    www.PhotoDesk.com.my

Re: NSTP files defamation suits against two bloggers

On the sad side, Malaysia is turning into a media controlled society..

On the bright side, the blogger had it coming..
    flickr.tumblr.lytro

Comment

I was always under the opinion that a blog should be held to the same legal standard as any other type of publication.

If you make an allegation you better have the evidence to back it up. Making accusations without evidence doesn't hold water with magazines, books, or newspapers. Why should bloggers be above it? My opinion would be different if there was a clear message saying The content of this website is editorial opinion only or (even better) something like the into to the Daily Show on Comedy Central/CNN International. But nothing like that is there.

Basically, they used sensationalism to drive up their numbers which in turn drove up their egos which drove them to create more sensational stories and so on until their egos got so out of control that they felt "untouchable". The problem is, if they win this case then their egos will grow to record size causing them to continue the cycle of slander for numbers and probably making it worse. If they lose then they become martyrs to bloggerdom and will use that status to do the same.
      Buy my art

Comment

go to court and fight it out. Every accusation and claims has to be backed by facts and evidence.
        No evidence and with just mere talk is pure slander. Then the accused is merely asking for trouble.

However if the accusations are true with facts and evidence , then Mr Jeff Ooi has opened up a can of worms......................

More to see soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Leslie2005
          However if the accusations are true with facts and evidence , then Mr Jeff Ooi has opened up a can of worms......................
          The problem is that he rarely does. On a couple of occasions I've seen him promise evidence, but instead of presenting it he eventually shifts the focus of the story to something else rather then the original accusation and hopes that his readers forget the original accusation. They usually do so he gets away with it.

You know what kind of animals are good at wriggling side-to-side like that...
          Buy my art

Comment

I am wondering if he could actually obtain such so called evidence (as claimed in some of the statements made in his blog, in reality as under the Msian govt laws some of these evidence are classified as Official Secrets Act and any individual can be charged under the Internal Security Act, detention without trial and a free stay in Kamunting Camp indefinately.

Opening up Pandora's box especially to matters which are deemed sensitive can be deemed as suicidal or gung ho in reality. Many of those failed and they have been "politically ridiculed and politically and socially assasinated plus bankrupted and at times ridiculed. This has happened before both in our country and of course across the border, via the short 1km causeway

Well its left to be seen, i'm pretty curious how would the court proceeding is going to be like..

But we do need certain individuals like him as a form of balance of power.. politics and scandals is just so funny at times. But no doubt we do need individuals like him or any others for the matter of fact to raise the level of playing field in a more equitable position. Otherwise its just one side telling everything to us, we have others who could tell us the other side of the story.

Interesting.
            Last edited by Leslie2005; 19-01-2007, 11:51 PM.

Comment

Does anyone know which postings in the 2 blogs broke the camel's back? Agree with Brian about the inflation of egos - after a while they take it to a personal level and start a running feud which gets out of control. Anyone noticed the wedding invitation post?
              photographerusa.com/screencheck/index.html

Comment

Originally posted by Brian
                The problem is that he rarely does.....
                Agree... look like the his blog is a place for him to vent his frustration and anger.... as long as he doesn't like something.

Comment

Originally posted by eugene
                  On the sad side, Malaysia is turning into a media controlled society..
                  Not too sure about that. My personal opinion is that there is slightly more freedom now (compared to during the last PM's time) judging from recent comments and articles published especially in The Sun and The Star.

One must be matured and professional enough to be responsible for what he is writing.

Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by limhy
                    Not too sure about that. My personal opinion is that there is slightly more freedom now (compared to during the last PM's time) judging from recent comments and articles published especially in The Sun and The Star.

One must be matured and professional enough to be responsible for what he is writing.

Cheers.
                    By media control,I don't mean the major publication but more on what we have in freedom of speech. Seems like nowadays, the only source of voice we are allowed is that of the major dailies. Even that, lots of filtering occurs. Anyone heard of any news of the recently covered tol protest covered by a pm-er here?

As for Mr.Ooi himself, my personal opinion is that he deserved it, but as Brian says, either outcome would do him no harm. Such a waste.
                    flickr.tumblr.lytro

Comment

My view is that the English press in Malaysia is a joke. They selectively blackout news that the big G does not want the populace to know. The only exception, in my opinion, is the Sun which gives a more balanced reporting.

The reason we have come to such a sad situation is that the puppetmaster behind the English press in Malaysia are political parties (except for the Sun) and they certainly do not want to expose their dirty underwear. But thanks to the world wide web, whatever they choose to blackout is still available FOC.

Having said that, let us not prejudge the defamation suit. These are interesting times and we may still see David come out victorious over Goliath.

Comment

Freedom of speech and defamation are 2 distinct issues. It will be interesting to see how the law decides....
                        Maxby has a facebook too

PhotoSafari - each experience is a different

Comment

Originally posted by johnny
                          Having said that, let us not prejudge the defamation suit. These are interesting times and we may still see David come out victorious over Goliath.
                          David never thought himself to be Goliath whereas the bloggers in question (well, at least one of them) reguraly lets his ego get the best of him and they think they are untouchable giants.
                          Buy my art

Comment

I believe this is a positive step in the blogging world. So far, there is a lot of mistrust among the public on what bloggers write. Most people would take it as just personal rantings. It is time to separate the men from the boys so to speak.

Anybody can write about anything but if there is a consequence of accuracy in what they write, then the public will benefit from this exercise.

Now it is up to the law to decide this ground breaking case.
                            Maxby has a facebook too

PhotoSafari - each experience is a different

Comment

whoever writes publicly has to hv responsibility. say whats right with integrity n sincerity....personal rantings should confined to private diaries

Comment

Working...
                              X