google-site-verification: googleff3ef223fa187539.html The significance of post processing. - PhotoMalaysia Community

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The significance of post processing.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The significance of post processing.

There are many aspect that requires consideration in order to generate a good image – the lighting,composition ,exposures and even presentation.

It is often debatable on the aspect of post processing. Those against might argue that they would prefer to capture a scene as original as possible .Post processing will render the image unreal or manipulated.

The reality is that no scene is captured accurately by a camera.The dynamic range and colours are to wide to be recorded by the sensors .

Below I attached three images which shows how post processing can significantly enhance an image. Its not my best image but it should be suffice to explain my points.

The first image is the RAW version direct from camera .The second image was edited during my initial stage learning post processing. The third was edited currently and I’m not even close to what some of the masters here in PM .

What I’m trying to say is,post processing is important and I recommend spending some time getting to know more than just the brightness and contrast sliders in your favorite photo editing application. Cheers!

RAW version

First edit

Final edit

Re: The significance of post processing.

Increasing the Clarity slider up

increases the contrast of the image there by….
    causing

1) Halos to appear where the light meets the dark areas.Giving that hard edged appearance.
    2) Chromatic Abberation will be more pronounced at the edges be it purple/magenta/blue fringing.

It won`t be pronounced if the image is small.

I`m still learning my images are still having those.

Comment

The final image was a quick edit just for online posting purposes. I think the halos and chromatic aberration can be easily remove either by refine edge selection and cloning on different layers or by enlarging the specified area so that it covers the halo section of the image. Attached a quick touch up for the photo but for printing into larger size ,I would be more thorough. Cheers!

Last edited by tckgary; 06-08-2013, 12:37 AM.

Comment

if u need to lower the noise lever....expose to the right....push the histogram to the right when u click....about +1ev ro +1.5 ev should do the trick.

Comment

yep. Exposing for raw and post processing is different to that of film. Exposing 'to the right' will give you less noise and deeper shadow detail, but make sure that you don't blow out your highlights and make each shot look like cheap digital video. Different cameras have different highlight response roll-off and it pays to know your kit.
          AV: www.calamitystudio.com

Comment

Also, beware of sharpening and 'clarity' adjustments. It might look fine today, but tomorrow your edges will look harsh and digital. There's no digital substitute for a good lens.
            AV: www.calamitystudio.com

Comment

Working...
            X