Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Much Longer Can Photographic Film Hold On?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Much Longer Can Photographic Film Hold On?

AP had an interesting article on film photography:

Check it out here: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=136795151

So, what do you think?

Re: How Much Longer Can Photographic Film Hold On?

hmmm i just venture into this ...... really hope that film wont die that soon....or at least for 20-30 years to come.......

Comment

Let s hope it will last for sometime..
      [URL="http://www.jasonbeyond.com"]www.jasonbeyond.com[/URL]

Comment

It'll always be around as it is going to become a niche market and there will be someone who will keep the manufacturers churning them out. It may cost more but it will exist.

Look at the old vinyl versus CD thing - in fact vinyl is making a comeback albeit to the purists who have loads of $$$! Film will go the same way.

Comment

To me, film like the 35mm and the 120 are like a fool-proof, technology-proof invention, so, as long as there is demand and adequate supply for it, then we shouldn't be afraid of it facing extinction.

Which makes me wonder, these technology which were predicted to overpass the 135 and the 120, actually ended prematurely:

1. APS
          2. Capturing photo and save it directly to CD - I've seen Kodak and Sony pioneered this technology.
          3. 126 format - still around (somewhere, somehow), but very hard to get

Comment

I think color films will die out first. Currently there are still some masses using the regular Kodak Max and sending to the labs, but once their cameras fail, they will inevitably go digital.

B&W are a little tricky. Prices of silver increased over the last year and a regular roll of tri-x is now nearly RM20. I wonder the prices will go down if silver is cheaper.

Whatever it is, I agree if there is enough demand, there will be supply. Nice job on the Lomo guys to keep the demand up though. hehe.

Comment

hope it will last forever.I just got into this film genre and really hope to use film for a long, long time since i don't have the privilege of using film when i was a kid.
              flickr: zoolkareem | http://zoolkareem.tumblr.com

Comment

Originally posted by Mohd.Shaza View Post
                To me, film like the 35mm and the 120 are like a fool-proof, technology-proof invention, so, as long as there is demand and adequate supply for it, then we shouldn't be afraid of it facing extinction.

Which makes me wonder, these technology which were predicted to overpass the 135 and the 120, actually ended prematurely:

1. APS
                2. Capturing photo and save it directly to CD - I've seen Kodak and Sony pioneered this technology.
                3. 126 format - still around (somewhere, somehow), but very hard to get
                I remember reading somewhere (can't trace back the link), many people predicted APS (specificallly APS-C) will die out in ten years time. That article was written about 15 years ago. Quite contrarily, APS is still going strong - stronger then ever. There are a lot more APS nowadays than full frame sensors. Infact we are seeing emergence of four thirds systems (strictly speaking, just another APS).

Comment

Originally posted by alihms View Post
                  I remember reading somewhere (can't trace back the link), many people predicted APS (specificallly APS-C) will die out in ten years time. That article was written about 15 years ago. Quite contrarily, APS is still going strong - stronger then ever. There are a lot more APS nowadays than full frame sensors. Infact we are seeing emergence of four thirds systems (strictly speaking, just another APS).
                  In digital medium, yes.in film medium, no.
                  flickr: zoolkareem | http://zoolkareem.tumblr.com

Comment

film may not die, but price will keep going up, like wat Sir Philip said is true

in the end, there are still ppl appreciate on it, no matter how good the digital turns out
                    I'm full time gear head, yes i am... :D

Comment

Originally posted by alihms View Post
                      Haha... that APS is not APS sensor....... they're talking about film.

APS sensor existed 15 years ago, really?

Comment

vynil still around, and produced
                        facebook.com/pages/The-Shelves/252601961452458

Comment

aiyo yooo...why this news when i just started going in films lol......... you guys better be here to help me out otherwise........KITA BAKOR JER

Comment

film?? what's that?
                            [I]if quentin T shave off all his hair, then he will be handsome abd botak like me...[/I]

Comment

Originally posted by webster View Post
                              film?? what's that?

ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X