Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kodak phases out digital businesses, keeps film alive

From BJP (British Journal of Photography):

Less than a month after announcing that it would seek bankruptcy protection in the US, Kodak has announced that it will stop the production of digital cameras and picture frames, as well as pocket-size video cameras.

"For some time, Kodak's strategy has been to improve margins in the capture device business by narrowing our participation in terms of product portfolio, geographies and retail outlets. Today's announcement is the logical extension of that process, given our analysis of the industry trends," says Pradeep Jotwani, Kodak's chief marketing officer.
    However, the firm has moved to reassure film photographers. "Kodak's continuing consumer products and services will include the traditional film capture and photographic paper business, which continues to provide high-quality and innovative products and solutions to consumers, photographers, retailers, photofinishers and professional labs," it says in a statement

Read full article here: http://www.bjp-online.com/british-jo...ses-film-alivehttp://www.bjp-online.com/british-jo...ses-film-alive

This is for all the naysayers out there

Of course, not out of the woods yet, but good to hear they are streamlining the business and getting rid of the ones not making money, i.e digital stuff.

Yay!

Re: Kodak phases out digital businesses, keeps film alive

As they should. It's one of the few profitable Divisions in the company and you should only concentrate on what you know best.

Some additional related news elsewhere: http://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2012/...k.html?_r=2&hp
    Last edited by chioque; 10-02-2012, 02:14 AM.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/mansuramir/

Comment

Great news! long live Elitechrome!

Comment

Great news....... even though I don't use Kodak films.

Comment

I know this will irate many films shooters out there, but, frankly, film glory days are over. Period! In product life-cycle term, film is in sunset phase already. I bet when the current generation of film shooters (mostly in the 30+ above age groups) retire, there won't be any demand anymore. The same goes for current movie producers who still shot on films. It won't last that much longer.

The very reason why Kodak got to this situation now is by not focusing on digital in the first place. Kodak was a pioneer in digital imaging. It holds many patents and firsts (first digital cameras etc). Bad business decisions to focus on films when it held an upper hand on digital should be a lesson to Kodak. Apparently not so.

Kodak is in receivership now. The interested parties are there to recoup as much as possible their investments. They are short term profit oriented and couldn't care less on the long term growth. Once these investors are done with it, off they go. By then.. good bye Kodak!

Comment

great news! long live kodak.. EBX for the win.

Comment

I also read the news,good move.legend hold
              Call me super gear head

Comment

Someday, film will make a comeback but definitely not in a big way. Just like those vinyl records presumed dead in the early 90's have regained growing momentum today. For film however, that would have to wait for the day when some people say "I don't care about detail and resolution, I want the warmth and intimacy of analog..". Going by the trend of the vinyl record timeline, today is the early 90's so we just need to wait another 10 years for film and film cameras to be back in the mainstream market

Comment

The film resurgence is happening now. There are many new converts at the moment. Among them, a few will turn hard-core film supporters, but I suspect most of them are merely following fad. Once the fad is over, they'll revert right back to digital

Comment

I think the bulk of the come-and-gos comes from lomography craze. Its fun for a while but I doubt it can last, since you won't want to be taking pictures like that all the time. Still, if it ups demand for film and processing chemical fresh, its definitely helping!

Comment

Looks like Kodak will emerge from chapter 11 as a small niche company.
                      Maxby has a facebook too

PhotoSafari - each experience is a different

Comment

Yeay to Film.
                        [URL="http://www.jasonbeyond.com"]www.jasonbeyond.com[/URL]

Comment

Working...
                        X