Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

is it possible to recover photos from undetected/damaged SD card?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is it possible to recover photos from undetected/damaged SD card?

Terrible thing happened to me last night. I was in the middle of shooting a wedding and suddenly my SD card threw CHA error on my D90. I tried to turn off and on but no luck. I even took out the battery but the result still the same. Trying to be positive, i changed to my other card and continue shooting hoping that i can still read the card using my card reader at home. To my surprise, the card was still unreadable and its not even detected on my pc and laptop.

Does anyone ever experience this before? do i still have the chance to recover back the image? i came across a web that offer data recovery by reading raw data (http://card-recovery.biz/us/service.php) but too bad it is not in Malaysia. What is the other option do i have to get back the image? please advise..
    www.flickr.com/sibikos

Re: is it possible to recover photos from undetected/damaged SD card?

have you try using different type of card reader and other pc? i just help a friend to recover his CF yesterday... lucky for us, we manage to recover the data...

If the card is detected on any pc, try to download a recovery software to recover...

wish u luck bro...
    www.cheritapictures.com

Comment

yes, bro. i've tried that as well. Now i am thinking to get a brand new card reader after work to test it again tonight
      www.flickr.com/sibikos

Comment

jengjengjeng... ur customer know bout this?? u dont have any backup body or backup photographer??
        i'm not a photographer but i'm SHUTTERKILLER

Comment

Luckily there were 2 of us (photog) and 1 videographer. I was just helping my friend's to shoot the event, not an OP or anything like that. But i shoot many family photos as i used wide lens that night. My friend used tele to cover candid scenes. i cant help to imagine how hard will be for the groom to explain to his relative that their family photos are gone. Good thing that the groom hired a videographer, they can still view family photo in there *sigh*
          www.flickr.com/sibikos

Comment

i used the recovery disc provided in the box when i got my Sandisk's CF card to help a friend recover his pics last week...if you have anyone with the Sandisk recovery disc...maybe you can ask him to help you...

we managed to recover almost 90% of his pics..

good luck...

DB

Comment

say goodbye to your photos..hehe.. a friend of mine experienced this some time ago.. He was the only photog for the day and the problem happened at his last shot. Means ALL of the photos lost!! Sent his card to some hackers also couldn't fix. Luckily he transferred the solemnization photos.

Comment

...perhaps it's a good idea for future assignment(s) to carry along a handy and small p&s. You will not get the perfect back-up shots. Then you at least have some of those family group photos to show...

Comment

Originally posted by pmbillyk View Post
                  ...perhaps it's a good idea for future assignment(s) to carry along a handy and small p&s. You will not get the perfect back-up shots. Then you at least have some of those family group photos to show...
                  this is a good idea.. will do this one day when i am serious into wedding
                  www.flickr.com/sibikos

Comment

guys, can Sandisk recovery disc recover files from undetected card?
                    www.flickr.com/sibikos

Comment

Originally posted by sibikos View Post
                      guys, can Sandisk recovery disc recover files from undetected card?
                      No. If the card is not recognized by the PC, it can't go to that "drive" to try recovery. Would have to replace the chip that controls the card, which requires certain expertise which I don't have. I can only recover from crash hard drives and that also depends on whether I can get parts to do it.

Comment

guys, thank you for all your advices. Rescue mission has been officially called off. my last hope to use new card reader has also failed. I have to accept the fact that i've lost all the photos... *sob* *sob*
                        www.flickr.com/sibikos

Comment

recently had my ext hdd (work in progress) accidentally switched off. as such, it was an unsafe eject from my system. when i tried to connect again to my mac, the ext hdd was not detectable. disk utility was able to detect it but for some unknown reason, it was only detectable for awhile. my wild guess was that unsafe eject caused the ext hdd not able to be detected. so, to me in laymen term, it seems like the 'bridge' linking the ext hdd to my mac has broken down. for it to be detectable, the bridge must be repaired.

so after painstakingly googling for a solution, i kinda decided to go with Stella Phoenix. it managed to 'detect' the ext hdd and i kinda scrambled to copy & backup as much data as possible, esp the one that i am working on. basically, i managed to recover all my data.

well, after the whole episode, i tried to format the ext hdd on mac & pc but somehow it was not able to be formatted. sent in the ext hdd and RMA-ed on the spot. according to the technician after he had run some verification via their software, the ext hdd had serious bad sectors.

so in your case, if the SD is undetectable, you can try some recovery s/w to mend the 'broken bridge' before you can recover your photos. hope my 2 cents help.
                          w: fotolightbox.com fb: Fotolightbox Photography

Comment

thanks Bro. i think i tried that software but still no luck. I'll never buy Apacer sd card again after this. I'll upgrade all my cards to sandisk extreme perhaps.
                            www.flickr.com/sibikos

Comment

Originally posted by sibikos View Post
                              thanks Bro. i think i tried that software but still no luck. I'll never buy Apacer sd card again after this. I'll upgrade all my cards to sandisk extreme perhaps.
                              You should never skim on the memory card. You can have the best camera and lens in the world but if you don't have any images to show, you might as well not shoot any paid gig. It is not that Sandisk are failure proof, but so far it has proven itself to be pretty reliable. Regards.

Comment

Working...
                              X