Tripod

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tripod

Should I aim for a light tripod or a heavy one? I'm into landscape photography.
    Both has it pros and cons. Light= easy on the burden, heavy= less shaky.

Planning to get one, WEIFENG tripod. Is that a good brand?

Re: Tripod

Go to shashinki and find JUSINO.. From what i have heard and read.. It quite good tripod.. and the most important things is the price if u on budget.. U can get both if you choose carbon fiber tripod.. and the best choice is MANFROTTO.. u will never regret.. spent more as you said you are in to landscape.. good luck..

Comment

Thank for your advice. But on tight budget
      Hopefully ang pow for CNY 2012 big enough to cover.

Comment

depands on budget.. its something u buy once and use long time so better get a good one

Comment

Yes good tripod will last very long. Get something like a Carbon Fibre Gitzo. You trust a $100 to hold your gear worth a few thousand?
          Photography is a never ending journey..

Comment

I think most people did not put in enough thought when buying their first tripod, and that includes me. You need to know where you are going to use the tripod most and what are you current activities. Landscape is such a big genre. Are you going to use the tripod not more than 100m from the car booth or are you going to take the tripod all over the world to shoot landscapes. Is air travel involved? Are you going to do any trekking or just bring it to the beach. Are you going to put the tripod into a flowing stream or river?

Are you going to use a waist or eye level viewfinder? What tripod head are you going to use? Are you tall or short? These are some of the questions you ask yourself before going out to buy a tripod that you will love to bring out every time.
            Maxby has a facebook too

PhotoSafari - each experience is a different

Comment

Well, I know the problem: first one buys a "first" tripod for the sum of a, then one finds it a bit wobbly, so it must be this tripod's fault and one buys a tripod for 2 times a. That looks good, but the pics are not quite right either, so off to the store for a third tripod at 4 times a price, this one with a fancy - the clerk said - a better head and you are so proud and happy ... `good ballhead' ..., except that the camera keeps slipping as you tighten it for angled shots and after a while, you are not satisfied again. Total cost so far: 7 times a. All for the rubbish heaps of the world ...

Now you get serious and look around, read reviews and the like. Ask experts, and all they recommend are tripods at around 6 times rices and ballheads at around 5 times a to add to the cost.

This will happen if you do not start out with around 10 times your original cheap price a that you have envisioned. If you do not have 10+ times a saved, wait a while until you do. Then and when you are ready to buy a tripod and ballhead for real, one that will last you until your hair falls out gray, go get the one for you.

And all you did is spend 11 times a on a good, sturdy and light tripod, rather than being out 7 times a and a few trips to the trash container with nothing to show for it.

Searching for a cheap and sturdy and light tripod is fruitless; better to be without than constantly frustrated by one's own pics ... . Save your time and money until you can get one for life.

Cameras improve, tripods are either very good or utterly useless. Your choice! Think about it.

Comment

Originally posted by uhligfd View Post
                Well, I know the problem: first one buys a "first" tripod for the sum of a, then one finds it a bit wobbly, so it must be this tripod's fault and one buys a tripod for 2 times a. That looks good, but the pics are not quite right either, so off to the store for a third tripod at 4 times a price, this one with a fancy - the clerk said - a better head and you are so proud and happy ... `good ballhead' ..., except that the camera keeps slipping as you tighten it for angled shots and after a while, you are not satisfied again. Total cost so far: 7 times a. All for the rubbish heaps of the world ...

Now you get serious and look around, read reviews and the like. Ask experts, and all they recommend are tripods at around 6 times rices and ballheads at around 5 times a to add to the cost.

This will happen if you do not start out with around 10 times your original cheap price a that you have envisioned. If you do not have 10+ times a saved, wait a while until you do. Then and when you are ready to buy a tripod and ballhead for real, one that will last you until your hair falls out gray, go get the one for you.

And all you did is spend 11 times a on a good, sturdy and light tripod, rather than being out 7 times a and a few trips to the trash container with nothing to show for it.

Searching for a cheap and sturdy and light tripod is fruitless; better to be without than constantly frustrated by one's own pics ... . Save your time and money until you can get one for life.

Cameras improve, tripods are either very good or utterly useless. Your choice! Think about it.
                Whoa this is a powerful advice. Actually there is an alternative to it, borrow some of your friend's tripod, go explore then only decide what to buy.

My 'first' tripod is a cheap one, a real cheap one. I've been using it for a long time and it still serve me well. Bear in mind, a tripod is just a tool and most of the tools can be fixed (DSLR on the other hand is much complicated to be fixed and I don't even want to start that); IMO if it wooble, fix it, alter it, adjust it til it suit your taste. I think before the creation of tripod, people only used stone, chair, any flat surface object and they still produce JAW-BREAKING good photo. I'm not saying that you shouldn't invest, but invest only if you're sure what you want to invest to and WHY you invest.

I have seen many of the hobbyist leave photography with heavy equipment; D7000, D300s, top-notch flashgun, battery grip (some don't even need the extra battery life but this make their dslr looks good), filters, lenses and of course thousand dollars tripod. Of course, you guys are professional and well dedicated to photography, that is why you guys willing to spend more on the equipment. But there is a lot more that like photography because make them look good. And yes, I see dozen of them give up halfway before a year.

So, my advise to newbie/starter is buy a cheap one for first time; this is not inclusive of tripod only, this apply to dslr and other equipment as well. Try them out as many times as you can, know what you're lacking of and explore WHY. If you're sure you want to be in photography, ADVANCE! look for better tools and again EXPENSIVE doesn't always equal PERFORMANCE (albeit that's always true). MAKE SURE YOU KNOW WHY YOU WANT TO ADVANCE, it's pointless to advance if you don't see any problem with the old one.

After all, photography is a way of learning so why bother skip to the best tools and missed out all this lesson?

ENHANCE your skills starting with lousy tools. By that, you know what they are weak of and why is that; and not literally follow what told by others. Some quote "The best tools won't work without some skill". SO make the best out of what you can and LEARN from this mistake.

Comment

I actually advise myself on my open thread. But I really want to ask the pros out there, for landscape photography, is a light one better or a heavy one?
                  I do want to bring my tripod with me if I were to fly somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by ShrugsLova View Post
                    I actually advise myself on my open thread. But I really want to ask the pros out there, for landscape photography, is a light one better or a heavy one?
                    I do want to bring my tripod with me if I were to fly somewhere.
                    You can hang something on the hook of the tripod to make it more stable. No?
                    http://www.flickr.com/photos/kamera-otoko

Comment

Originally posted by backpacker View Post
                      You can hang something on the hook of the tripod to make it more stable. No?
                      I have read about this trick, I have tried it and it does not always work. It did not work when it was windy, and alas, I have the photos to prove it. I even used the self timer and release cable in such a set-up and the photo still came out slightly blurred.

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9S9jZW3Jxc

Actually you hook something heavy under it works for me. I always carry raffia string look for a brick and tie it and hang on the hook.
                        Photography is a never ending journey..

Comment

Originally posted by Adrian_Loo View Post
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9S9jZW3Jxc

Actually you hook something heavy under it works for me. I always carry raffia string look for a brick and tie it and hang on the hook.
                          rafia string make me think back scouting time. nostalgia.

Comment

A 3 section tripod is better than 4 section.
                            and the recommendation from Uncle Maxby.

Comment

Hi,

This may be off-tangent but may I know whether Gitzo tripod would be cheaper in Italy/France, compared to buying it local?

Comment

Working...
                              X