Is tripod allowed in flight?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is tripod allowed in flight?

1) Is tripod allowed to be strapped to camera bag and carried as a cabin luggage or carry-on luggage?

2) In view of the max weight of the cabin luggage allowed at any airport ranges from 7kg to 11kg (some European countries), what happens if our camera gears weigh more than 11kg? Mine is usually around 12 to 15kg.

I face the similar problems each time l travel oversea. Sometimes l have to go through heated arguments with the officers starting from the check-in counter to the ticket staff at the boarding room. Luckily so far l managed to go through successfully each time. But l do not want to have the same experience like this in the future.

Do we have a standard list of items that are allowed to carry to the cabin? Yes general items but not in great detail about the photography gears; l can't find much on the wt and space allowance for the camera and gears. Also l don't find much info on the tripod allowed to the cabin.

Hope someone here and moderators can answer me. Hope l don't have to buy a Pelican hard case!!!

Thanks

Re: Is tripod allowed in flight?

I have never any discussions of any kind. Than again, I fly only A-class airline companies. I just touched down in Europe with a notebook bag, camera bag and tripod in the cabin.
    Portfolio / Blog / Photography Course | Instagram | Twitter

Comment

I checked in a tripod together with my bag as hand luggage for a trip to Jakarta with Airasia. No problem at all.
      I'm a newbie and forever will I be.......

Comment

some airlines don't allow
        need to check with the airlines first to be safe

Comment

Originally posted by pointblank View Post
          I have never any discussions of any kind. Than again, I fly only A-class airline companies. I just touched down in Europe with a notebook bag, camera bag and tripod in the cabin.
          I had a bad experience recently when traveling from Paris to Budapest by Easyjet. I was carrying a Thinktank Backpacker and a small Lowepro bad (just for circular & Lee fliters and rings) as my Thinktank was too full for the filters. I was stopped and was told you were allowed one piece to cabin. I argued that this bag contained fragile filters made of glass. Luckily my cousin who carried a bigger bag helped put my Lowepro bag inside her bigger bag. But it was ok when l flied from KL to Paris by AAX. Maybe l am an Asian!

Thanks Pointblank

Comment

Originally posted by resshin View Post
            some airlines don't allow
            need to check with the airlines first to be safe

Even the airline lets u in, but the security officers won't sometimes.

Thanks

Comment

Never had such problems with Easyjet.. more often that not, I carry multiple bags..
              flickr.tumblr.lytro

Comment

Just throw into cargo la. Remove head first if you feel safer about that.

I think airport and customs stickers on the tripods are cool and gives it more street cred.
                bunnybearpictures.com

Comment

I hv carried my Gitzo mountaineer 1 series piggy back on my kata backpack with no problems. Exception is Taiwan. New regulations apparently prohibit bringing tripods on board. I had to check it in at the customs xray prior to departure. This was in Dec 2011 and airline was China Airways (I think).

Comment

never brought one myself...but i've seen others have it and it shouldn't be a problem

Comment

I always bring mine around and there's never a problem.

Comment

Don't make your self so difficult.. just check in the tripod. I always do that.

no way you going to use tripod in the airport right..?

Comment

Don't make your self so difficult.. just check in the tripod. I always do that.

no way you going to use tripod in the airport right..?

Comment

Yes, can check in too..but I'm just worried it'll get broken

Comment

I never brought my tripod onto the flight. Just remove the tripod head and put your tripod into luggage. My tripod has been safe from the first flight to now.

Comment

Working...
                              X