This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• some suggestions to get more responses for your photo posting

I have notice that sometimes some of the members post photo and they did not get much comments on their photos… then they merajuk and say why other members don’t give comments and did not post any comments.
    So I think maybe I want to share my personal perspective on how to put up a better post to that you get higher chances of members posting comments. As a disclaimer, this is just based on what I think only la and does not necessarily apply to all. Basically I am basing on what are the pose that make me feel like I want to leave comments. So here is my list.

1. first and foremost, before posting anything, you are encouraged to set the right mindset. You are posting something for the world to see. There are all sort of people out there from the average joe to the the absolute out of the box thinker types. There are also those miss polite and mr i-don’t-give-two-hoots. So set your mindset that you will get all sort of responses (if any). Most of the time people will be honest about their thoughts and you should be prepared if their honest opinion does not suit you. Don’t be like the lady boss in Liar Liar (you know, the scene where she and Jim Carey just did the Whoopee. She asked how was it and did not take it well when poor Jim answered “I had better”)

2. when you post a photo, what you can do is to state exactly what you like the members to help on. You can say that you need their comments on what aspect of the photo, Or maybe you just want to show off a nice shot, or maybe you just want to share some photo of your friends and make fun of them etc. etc. But you must state clearly what your intention is. This is like something like your spouse say “Jom Keluar ronda” but ronda where? And what is the purpose. Petrol not cheap and not good so simply go out driving just because want to keluar ronda. State la something like “Jom ronda ambik angin” or “Jom ronda Shopping kompleks”. At least specific.

3. If you want to receive comments, then ask specifically what aspect of the photo you want to get comment on. Don’t la post a photo and simply write “C&C welcomed”. If you too lazy to write what you want to learn, then how you expect others to spend their time to write long long for you? This is something like the wife go out and potong one strand of her hair and then come back and ask you “you notice anything different about me?” How la to know? At least ma ask something like “You notice anything different about my hair?” then la we know to focus on the hair…

4. Then when you post and if people respond and give tips, make sure that you thank them for it. Weather you agree or not, first of all thank them for their effort in giving their thoughts. Show them that you appreciate their comments. Then only either agree or disagree. I find that people like Evon or Sean Eng and some of a few newbiews do spend their time to thank people.

5. If you disagree with a comment, try not to take it personally. Try to see from the other person’s perspective and understand why he/she say what he/she said. Then only form your rebuttal and state your opinion. Seek first to understand, then only to be understood. Don’t be a Mat kalut aka “serbu tak pakai helmet” (or his seberang cousin “Che Kong Lan”) and simply fire back at the first hint of disagreement.

6. If you have learnt something from the comments given, make sure you really learnt and apply it. I really like to look at DTBH’s post and drop my 2 cents. For a photographer (and some say photoshopper) of his caliber, he is still very very humble when people leave comments and really take to heart on what people say.

7. Also, if you just want to post a photo and want people to affirm you (means you want people to tell you “Good Job!”, “Way to go!”,”FOWSH!”). Then just say so and I think people will comply. Don’t la put “C&C welcomes” when all you want is affirmation. Something like if you feel fat and that you morale is low and just want a pick me upper. Then don’t la ask the “Do I look fat?” question. Because we all know that there is no straight answer to it. if you want us to lie, just say so la.

So here are some of my thoughts only. Others can add what they know.
    Some people may disagree, and I am fine with that,... I don’t mind…. I just hope I don’t have to join that guy infront of amcorp mall because of the examples I used…
    [I]if quentin T shave off all his hair, then he will be handsome abd botak like me...[/I]

Re: some suggestions to get mor responses for your photo posting

If you want positive comments only, just say so. If not the comments are honest and honesty can be brutal. Also don't post the whole CF card as it is very difficult to give any meaniful comments unless those photos revolve around a theme.
    Maxby has a facebook too

PhotoSafari - each experience is a different

Comment

very useful info and tips webby, bump !
      I'm full time gear head, yes i am... :D

Comment

I just hope I don’t have to join that guy infront of amcorp mall because of the examples I used…
        HAHAHHAHAHAHHA
        LoctorMayat Kurang Ajar!! Get Lost From My SB700 Thread!!

Comment

i still say self filtering should be done before asking a comment on any photo.

Comment

Good one webster! Will keep these in mind when postings..

sometimes we the viewer have to decide whether to give comments or not. No comment is sometime a comment in itself.

Comment

One truth I noticed is that if your post immediately got buried buy other post as soon as you post it the chance for your post to be commented is fairly slim. That why I usually post at odd hours (...4a.m)..he he he.
              There's really NOTHING to photograph

Comment

Re: some suggestions to get more responses for your photo posting

very good advice..
                flickr.com/fahmi969&flickr.com/fahmifotopsikologi

Comment

Originally posted by maxby View Post
                  Also don't post the whole CF card as it is very difficult to give any meaniful comments unless those photos revolve around a theme.
                  yeah, what brother maxby say is very true. if you want quality comments, don't post more than 3 photos. in fact, 3 is already quite alot..
                  [I]if quentin T shave off all his hair, then he will be handsome abd botak like me...[/I]

Comment

Thanks to that orang pulau (or is it orang seberang) who directed me to this link. This is sound advice by mr dictionary and I'm putting a sticky to it for a while......
                    Yusuf Hashim
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by digitalartist View Post
                      Thanks to that orang pulau (or is it orang seberang) who directed me to this link. This is sound advice by mr dictionary and I'm putting a sticky to it for a while......
                      You're welcome. Orang Pulau now also become Orang Seberang liao so same same
                      LoctorMayat Kurang Ajar!! Get Lost From My SB700 Thread!!

Comment

Thanks for taking the time to write that long post. Agree with you all the way.

To those who do take the time to post some C&C, then it might soften the blow slightly if the C&C is going to be brutal by saying sometime nice first eg, like the way you posed the model etc. before going in for the kill.

Yoon Lee

Comment

I'm afraid I dont beat around the bush. I say it straight so that you get what I'm trying to say. If you cannot take criticism, then please dont post. If you post and even if you didnt want criticism, there will always be someone out there who will comment favourably or otherwise. If you post and people comment, accept it. If you want babyish treatment, please join a kindergarten. When I comment my intent is always honourable and never malicious, because most times we dont really know each other if you are a newbie. I always try to be polite but most times, the truth hurts.

Originally posted by Kok Yoon Lee View Post
                          Thanks for taking the time to write that long post. Agree with you all the way.

To those who do take the time to post some C&C, then it might soften the blow slightly if the C&C is going to be brutal by saying sometime nice first eg, like the way you posed the model etc. before going in for the kill.

Yoon Lee
                          Yusuf Hashim
                          sigpic

Comment

more responses?
                            show more skin in your photos?
                            www.LURKER.smugmug.com

Comment

Good point about why we post up photos especially in the newbie section. Our brains are powerful enough to fill in a lot of blanks. What I mean by this is we tend to read between the lines a lot when we view images, call it our own AWB if you like.
                              I took the shot, so I get it. But I was there when I took the photo, others were not. By looking at the photo will the viewer get "it" too? Quite often, no. Giving the shot an appropriate name may leave a hint but then technical things can go wrong too.

As a newbie "showcase" poster this is what I like to look for, whether others get the feel of what I tried to portray in the picture. To use Webster's analogy a little, usually our wives look better to us than to other people... *LOL*

Anyway thanks to everyone who has given me honest opinions and advice on improvement for my pics.

I believe what doesn't kill us can only make us stronger. Just my 2 cents.

Comment

Working...
                              X