The Awkward Feeling

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Awkward Feeling

Taken of Severin Koller's blog to illustrate why people should not use long lenses for street. The man uses an M6 + Leica Summicron 35 f2 for most of his shots. Thanks to Severin Koller, he has inspired me to shoot more street photography lately. 3 cheers to the man.

His comment that came with this photo is:
    "i always get an awkward feeling when i see people shooting with such lenses in the streets."

Last edited by clipper79; 06-04-2010, 04:36 PM.
    RFSG.ASIA

Re: The Awkward Feeling

i wonder does the photog get an awkward feeling. hehe.

Comment

Originally posted by yoong View Post
      i wonder does the photog get an awkward feeling. hehe.
      You mean the one in the picture? He looks like he is trying to disappear into the wall
      RFSG.ASIA

Comment

i remember when we had a film outing walking around Petaling Street, we bumped into a group of photogs also doing street shoot with long lens all over and here we are with the longest lens probably 40mm! hahahahaaaa... they looked at us with an awe and we smiled...
        Your 1st 10,000 shots are your worst - H.C. Besson; thank god for memory cards.

Comment

if you use long lens, 85mm, 200mm and more...for street shooting, and you shoot across the street, wouldn't that be stalking?
          Comfortably numb...

Comment

I was thinking of getting a 600mm lens for street shoot.....not a good idea?.
            Maxby has a facebook too

PhotoSafari - each experience is a different

Comment

Originally posted by maxby View Post
              not a good idea on a full frame body, a splendid idea on a 1.0 crop factor body!
              Your 1st 10,000 shots are your worst - H.C. Besson; thank god for memory cards.

Comment

Originally posted by damak View Post
                i remember when we had a film outing walking around Petaling Street, we bumped into a group of photogs also doing street shoot with long lens all over and here we are with the longest lens probably 40mm! hahahahaaaa... they looked at us with an awe and we smiled...
                Probably they will never grasp the concept of street shooting to begin with.

Originally posted by red406 View Post
                if you use long lens, 85mm, 200mm and more...for street shooting, and you shoot across the street, wouldn't that be stalking?
                I guess. Maybe these question should be asked to someone who does use these kind of lenses for street shoots

Originally posted by maxby View Post
                How about this uncle max? Sigma green colour "tong sampah inspired" 1000mm monster. Check out those muscles.
                RFSG.ASIA

Comment

Originally posted by clipper79 View Post

How about this uncle max? Sigma green colour "tong sampah inspired" 1000mm monster. Check out those muscles.
                  whoa... not even a monopod..!!
                  Comfortably numb...

Comment

Originally posted by red406 View Post
                    whoa... not even a monopod..!!
                    LOL,... red,... monopods look like twigs on these. You'll probably need a tripod to support this monster. Or muscular arms
                    RFSG.ASIA

Comment

May this inspire you guys as much as it did for me.
                      Another one which inspired me was Trent Parke. This is his portfolio.
                      RFSG.ASIA

Comment

... i guess it depends on one's intention what you want to get ... maybe the guy isn't shooting 'street'? we all seem to jump to that idea because he is standing in the public ...

street is so overused anyway ... many of the 'street' are passe and forgettable throwaways images ...

Comment

Originally posted by behhl View Post
                          ... i guess it depends on one's intention what you want to get ... maybe the guy isn't shooting 'street'? we all seem to jump to that idea because he is standing in the public ...

street is so overused anyway ... many of the 'street' are passe and forgettable throwaways images ...
                          Agreed with you fully. Nothing odd about a photographer carrying or shooting with a tele-lens in the street. It all depends on what he is trying to shoot.

Comment

Originally posted by behhl View Post

Originally posted by pmbillyk View Post
                            Agreed with you fully. Nothing odd about a photographer carrying or shooting with a tele-lens in the street. It all depends on what he is trying to shoot.
                            Thanks for offering your opinion guys. It is good to have this discussion too
                            It really does depends on what the photographer wants to shoot, and I am not doubting that. Urban birds maybe?

I will offer my 2 cents though on why I do not practice long lenses for street. Shorter focal lengths force you to be in the thick of the situation, forces you to interact with the surroundings of your subject. The aim for me is to work in harmony with this, and try to capture them without "stalking" them. It makes it feel more personal too. With longer lenses, you will often get distracting elements like people walking pass your field of view just as you click the shutter (as there is too much a gap between you and the subject). Often which I lose the "decisive moment" because of that. To avoid that, I prefer to rely on shorter focal lengths,... with the most being the 50mm (most preferred is the 40mm) lenses that I have.
                            RFSG.ASIA

Comment

Originally posted by clipper79 View Post

PM me best price......
                              Maxby has a facebook too

PhotoSafari - each experience is a different

Comment

Working...
                              X