Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Airborne, A Struggle to Survive Tuberculosis

Here is my share:

Tuberculosis is one of the most life threatening diseases infecting millions of people globally. A disease that has been an issue since pre-war and up to the present time. An unforgiving disease that kills millions of Filipinos, 75 each day including children. An airborne disease that spreads through the air and can infect a person who has inhaled even a small amount of these bacteria. If not treated properly, this will develop into a more severe form of tuberculosis which is the multiple drug resistant, or worst, the extremely drug resistant tuberculosis which has no reliable cure.

The Philippine’s fight to end this epidemic disease has been long fought, but still the battle has not been won. This preventable and curable disease has killed and is continuing to kill millions of people, a major health concern in the country that accounts to a huge social stigma, kills, and waste human lives. Incidence rate of TB continues to be relatively high especially among informal settlers in urban unhygienic areas due to various factors such as overcrowding and poor hygiene situation. In addition, is the inaccessibility for health workers to enter these areas, insufficient facilities for TB treatment, and the discontinued treatment due to frequent relocation of patients caused by forced evictions. Deficiency of medicines that are required to treat tuberculosis is also a major factor in government hospitals.

During the course of my documentation, one thing that haunts me is their stories, was overwhelmed with the permission given to me to pass on their individual tragedy. Stories such as families abandoning patients after being diagnosed with tuberculosis, or that they pass away without seeing their love ones. The quest of this work in progress is to give focus on the issue that the solution has been procrastinated for years. Decades have passed but still this ancient disease is still killing millions of people globally, most especially in developing countries such as the Philippines. Poignant reality is the neglect and inadequate support from the government being the major issue why the disease is outspread and in high rate.

Incidence rate of Tuberculosis continues to be relatively high especially among informal settlers in urban unhygienic areas due to various factors such as overcrowding and poor hygiene situation. TB among children is high in these areas because of domestic contacts with family members infected with the bacteria.

An urban poor community in Tondo, Philippines were in residents make a living through junks. These areas were used plastics found in garbage and junkyards, are cleaned manually with soap and water and later sold in a nearby market. Incidence rate of TB in these areas are high due to overcrowding and poor hygiene situation.

Doctors examined the chest x-ray of a patient with Tuberculosis.

To read more about the story please click on the link provided below:
    http://iveraldas.wordpress.com/2011/...-tuberculosis/

Re: Airborne, A Struggle to Survive Tuberculosis

Hi Aver, are you a journalist?
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/paklan-the-macha/

Comment

Originally posted by paklan View Post
      Hi Aver, are you a journalist?
      Hey. No, I'm not a journalist. I am just a freelance/documentary photographer. This is just my personal project and this is not funded by organizations or ngo's. All expenses are from my own pocket. Of course I want these projects paid or just a fund from an organization. But that is nothing compared to the happiness I feel every time a project has been accomplished. I just want to make a difference through my photos.

Comment

This is good stuff, I like your passion
        Maxby has a facebook too

PhotoSafari - each experience is a different

Comment

Originally posted by maxby View Post
          This is good stuff, I like your passion
          Thank you Maxby!

Comment

just viewed your wordpress..brilliant works there.real good!

love to see pics below in the series (here in photomalaysia)

http://i383.photobucket.com/albums/oo273/iver20/6.jpg
            http://i383.photobucket.com/albums/o...ver20/12-1.jpg
            www.flickr.com/suhaimisalleh

Comment

Originally posted by jonjoni View Post
              just viewed your wordpress..brilliant works there.real good!

love to see pics below in the series (here in photomalaysia)

http://i383.photobucket.com/albums/oo273/iver20/6.jpg
              http://i383.photobucket.com/albums/o...ver20/12-1.jpg
              Thanks for checking Jonjoni. Appreciate the kind words. Will be posting more of my works here in PM soon.

Comment

I like the series and the accompanying words. Great job.

Comment

Amazing work. Really admire your courage and passion, especially so up closed in a health hazzard condition. Salute.

Comment

I like your approach to photography. Most of us shoot pictures of very little significance, save for ourselves. To shoot pictures that raises awareness of a particular human tragedy, or challenge, is commendable. Its especially commendable when the pictures are of substantive quality, and are from a country I personally love very much. Welcome to PhotoMalaysia. I do hope you will continue to post here.
                    Yusuf Hashim
                    sigpic

Comment

Thank you all for your kind words. I appreciate your welcome digitalartist and those inspiring words. My motivation to do documentary has been pumped more by you guys. I am very happy that I am here in Photo Malaysia and I will definitely post more of my works here. Hope to meet you guys in person one of these days.

Comment

Great work.. very inspiring..

Comment

Admire your crusade and determination to raise the profile of this issue to the public. Well done.

Comment

very good stuff indeed. thanxs for sharing.
                            Your 1st 10,000 shots are your worst - H.C. Besson; thank god for memory cards.

Comment

Real good stuff. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Working...
                              X