google-site-verification: googleff3ef223fa187539.html Photoshop Tutorial : Skin Smoothing - PhotoMalaysia Community

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Photoshop Tutorial : Skin Smoothing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photoshop Tutorial : Skin Smoothing

Photoshop Techniques : SKIN SMOOTHING

Here's a rather simple technique on how you can create those silky smooth skin models pride themselves as having. Little do many people know, it's the wonders of technology that makes the final magic work.

Here a picture of a girl. Perfectly alright by most people but when used for advertising or print, further improvements can be made.

STEP by STEP

[I]
    STEP 1 : Create a duplicate of the original layer. You will be working on this new layer.

STEP 2 : The very first thing you should do is to remove skin blemishes and scars on the face of your model. A simple way to do this is to use Median which will smooth out rough parts of the skin. This is essentially a form of medium level blurring on parts of the picture. For heavy blemishes, I suggest you use the cloning tool or healing brush to remove them.

STEP 3 : Don't overuse the Median Filter. A level of 3 to 5 is good enough as we will continue on with another step to improve the skin smoothing effects.

STEP 4 : This is a cool effect on PS2. Surface Blur. What surface blur does is that it takes low contrast areas and creates a smooth gradient of colours across the entire surface. It does not blur out areas of higher contrast such as edges and high colour contrast areas.

STEP 5 : Adjust your radius accordingly. As a rule of thumb, the higher your picture contrast is, the higher the radius of surface blur you should use. But it all depends on making sure that the effect is neither under or over done. If not, you model will have a face that looks too plasticky (like Michael Jackson's ) The threshold level gives you a control over the deepness/range of the effects. Here I've used a radius and threshhold of 10.

STEP 6 : Next, hide the first layer. You will see why in the next few steps.

STEP 7 : Select the eraser tool and make sure hardness is set to 0%

Last edited by sharpshooter; 12-10-2009, 02:20 PM.

Re: Photoshop Tutorial : Skin Smoothing

STEP 8 : This is where it gets interesting. Begin by erasing parts of your models picture which you don't want the effect to be applied. This means areas which are meant to be sharp like hair, clothing, background.[/I]

STEP 9 : Essentially what you should be left with in the end is only the skin surface. That's why, this is called skin smoothing effect.

STEP 10 : Oh and very IMPORTANTLY, don't forget to etch out the eyes, eyebrows, lips, teeth. These are features on your model which you should keep sharp.

THE FINAL EFFECT

Turn on the first layer and with a bit of level adjustment to lighten up the final picture this is what you get!

Here's a comparison of the original picture and the new one:

Have fun trying this out guys! And do share your results with us here in PhotoMalaysia!
    Last edited by sharpshooter; 12-10-2009, 02:20 PM.

Comment

i found that this is really informative for me....

thank you sharpshooter san~

Comment

now i know....

thanks for this informative article !!

Comment

One of the trade secrets of wedding photography studios.

You know... when the bride asks... "Woah, my skin look so perfect when I was getting married!"

Comment

Excellent once again, thanks for teaching. Eventhough I do not use PS this will help in a rainy day

Comment

Even our catwalk Diva need help from time to time...

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by sharpshooter
                Even our catwalk Diva need help from time to time...

She resembles a mannequin!

Comment

Argh!Amber overdose!
                  Anyway,thanks Sharpshooter.Another good tutorial. Fast method with flattering result.

Comment

I guess this is one of the ways those Japanese create flawless skin Japanese model pictures in bikini.

BTW, I read those type of magazines for educational purposes only...

Comment

Very good and detail write up Sharpshooter ...

Comment

This is the power of Photochop. There are so many ways of achieving a certain objective and one will never finish learning it. Personally I've never used surface blur for skin smoothening before, so I've learned something from this tutorial as well. Thanks, Kenny, for a very useful tutorial...

Yusuf Hashim
                        sigpic

Comment

I am inspired.
                          Behind The Scene by ted adnan ...

Comment

I use something different..

i. duplicate layer
                            ii. smart blur
                            iii. overlay smart blur layer
                            iv. adjust opacity

Its less work as I don't need to go tru the hassle of erasing and it gives a nicer feel to clothes (less creases) too, not just skin.
                            flickr.tumblr.lytro

Comment

really appreciate the effort you've taken to share this with us. it is selfless of you to have done so. thanks again bro.

Comment

Working...
                              X