Clear All

Re: What makes a picture compelling

Thanks for sharing with us DA.

Comment

so great info...thank you sifuu.....

Comment

Photographer are an artist in his/her medium just like a painter, musician and so on. The way that we take our photo say a lot of what we think, our view of the moment and also reason/story that we try to tell. I'm a greenhorn in this hobby of mine. The picture that i take record what I've seen and where I've been. I've learn more after reading threads that DA have started and IMHO i do agree on what DA try to convey to us. In order to be better, we need to our own biggest, harshest critics. By doing that we will be able to accept criticism from others.

Comment

! !

me VERY the
          give me 5 years to try....

tungtong2oo9

Last edited by tungtong; 27-01-2009, 11:44 AM.
          http://www.http://www.flickr.com/photos/tungtong/

Comment

good sharing..thx a lot

Comment

siyes... a very eyeopening article... henceforth, i'll choose when showing pictures...
              Secret Behind Stunning Images | ClicKapture Studio

Comment

Quite comprehensinve and detail explanation. good initiative.

Comment

you don't need to make compelling pictures, whatever that is. You just need to be yourself when you make those pictures. Let others decide if they are compelling, again, whatever that is.

A lot of people are struggling with themselves because they keep asking themselves "how do i improve?!". Should they upgrade or go for a course or use the latest software or go to a more scenic place with lots of willing subjects posing for them so they can get more compelling(watever that is) pictures?
                  Worse, they then gather around and discuss what kind of composition gives one picture an edge over another or that what colour arrangements or exposure ratios gives it more punch,more compelling factor.

Is what you see more compelling than what i or he or she sees? Or is how you see things more beautiful than how i or he or she sees? We all see differently.

The differences between good and bad pictures becomes increasingly less significant as one gets to the realisation that photography is a journey, like life, everyone takes a different path. Is a doctor more compelling than a taxi driver? Probably, but that's cos the Doc probably hasn't walked his life out.

If art is a competition, we are all losers.
                  Last edited by Lancey; 09-09-2011, 08:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lancey View Post
                    you don't need to make compelling pictures, whatever that is. You just need to be yourself when you make those pictures. Let others decide if they are compelling, again, whatever that is.

A lot of people are struggling with themselves because they keep asking themselves "how do i improve?!". Should they upgrade or go for a course or use the latest software or go to a more scenic place with lots of willing subjects posing for them so they can get more compelling(watever that is) pictures?
                    Worse, they then gather around and discuss what kind of composition gives one picture an edge over another or that what colour arrangements or exposure ratios gives it more punch,more compelling factor.

Is what you see more compelling than what i or he or she sees? Or is how you see things more beautiful than how i or he or she sees? We all see differently.

The differences between good and bad pictures becomes increasingly less significant as one gets to the realisation that photography is a journey, like life, everyone takes a different path. Is a doctor more compelling than a taxi driver? Probably, but that's cos the Doc probably hasn't walked his life out.

+1

Comment

Could not agree more.
                      RFSG.ASIA

Comment

liked tis.. i will remember tis for a long while.

Comment

nice sharing... learn a lot.. will try to produce most compiling picture... just lake on talent
                          Nikon D7K: [WTB] Nikon35mm 1.8G / 35mm F2D

Comment

Working...
                          X