• Show
Clear All

• Portraiture Post Processing for Beginners

Portraiture Post Processing for Beginners
    A Review of an E-Book written by Dr Teh Ban Hup or dtbh

Name:  8331ed2ab2065bc6c2f0eb0449cd73e2.png
Views: 1
Size:  451.8 KB

Many of the regular attendees of PhotoMalaysia’s teh-tarik sessions will know who Banhup Teh is. He’s the extremely pleasant, gentleman pediatrician, photographer, who goes by the nick dtbh in PhotoMalaysia.com. Dr Teh is noted for his beautiful portraits, especially of Krystal, and lately of people from Bali. He's self taught and looking at his work, many people cant help but be impressed by his images.

He’s been asked so often, by so many people, how he manages to shoot such beautiful portraits, that he has somehow found the time to write an e-book, to share his post processing secrets with the photographic community. I say syabas Dr Teh. You've really done PhotoMalaysia proud with this first ever portrait processing ebook using photoshop.

The e-book is titled Portraiture Post Processing for Beginners, and I’ve been privileged to have been given an early copy of the e-book for review. I’m told by Dr Teh that this is the first of a series that he is planning on writing, and I understand this ebook will soon be available from www.Shashinki.com.

Although Dr Teh says his ebook is directed to beginners, I can wholeheartedly recommend it to everyone, beginners and advanced photographers alike. It is one of the best works on portraiture post processing that I’ve seen. The simple, and clear step by step Photoshopping techniques that Dr Teh describe, will most certainly ensure that those who buy this ebook will be able to easily reproduce the sort of quality portraits from Dr Teh that are regularly seen on photography websites like www.PhotoMalaysia.com .

The book has dozens of samples of Dr Teh’s brilliant portraits. He uses a starting image of the well known and very photogenic Krystal, and takes readers through a very detailed step by step process of tweaking the starting image to perfection, by using very clear screen capture illustrations like this:

Name:  3a045df7c993b95c26a10c8d76f17357.png
Size:  429.1 KB

And this:

Name:  d97a2b1111357b1231d2455ffaf812a6.png
Size:  316.8 KB

Recognizing that instruction overload may sometimes dull the senses of his readers, Dr Teh has cleverly interspersed the flow of his photo editing instructions with refreshing portraits, in sections which he calls Take a break….

Besides relieving the sometimes stressful process of information overload, Dr Teh’s pictures in the Take a break sections may also serve as the inspiration for us to plod on when we get tired. Here’s a sample of three of his images in one of the Take a break….sections. I believe these images are inspirational in the sense that many of us will really want to know how to achieve them…..

Name:  d8bf5d902efdcb5629d0e0c637bc1d3b.png
Size:  485.4 KB Name:  8e89f12ff95f215e765a6db983588d5a.png
Size:  500.3 KB
    Dr Teh’s writing style is very easy to follow and to understand. The book structure and progression is quite logical. He has highlighted many little nuances of Photoshopping that even some advanced photographers sometimes don’t appreciate, like the need to properly set your working colour spaces, and to match your in-camera colour space to your working space, and why your images are dull when your working colour space is Adobe RGB, and you post your pictures on the web without converting the colour space to sRGB. He highlights many of these tips in a section called Practice Points….which are usually placed after each instructional screen capture.

This book is excellent material for learning how to post process portraits like a pro. In reality there are dozens of ways in which to process images in Photoshop. Generally the basic processing building blocks are the same, but in his book, Dr Teh holds you by the hand as he describes these basic building blocks as they are applicable to his style of portrait photography. But Dr Teh also tells his readers how to vary the intensity of the post processing effect to suit their own personal taste. Some people like a more intense application, while others prefer less. Dr Teh shows you how to vary the intensity to your own personal preference.

I recommend this e-book to all digital photographers, both beginners and advanced photoshoppers alike. Especially as in the preface to his book, Dr Teh has said that part of the sales proceeds will go to the annual charity work that he does, and another part will also go as a contribution to one of his favourite places on the web, which is www.photoMalaysia.com. And best of all, he has said that members of PhotoMalaysia will get a discount.

This is probably the first time that a PhotoMalaysia member, and a very busy pediatrician at that, has successfully produced such a useful e-book for digital photographers. I urge all digital photographers to buy a legal copy of the e-book for themselves from www.Shashinki.com so that others will be encouraged to produce similar e-books for sale to the photography community.

For an idea of what is contained in the 121 pages e-book, see the contents page reproduced below.

Contents

Start with this.................................................. .........................1
    Some sample images.................................................. .............5
    Choose the right Color setting for your Photoshop......................10
    Shooting in RAW or JPEGs ?.......................................... .......15
    Auto Levels.................................................. ..........................24
    Initial preparation
    Remove skin blemishes or distracting elements........................25
    Skin smoothening technique......................................... ..........32
    Improve on catchlights....................................... .....................44

Post-processing proper
    Blend modes............................................. ............................51
    Adjusting Levels............................................ ........................58
    Adjusting Color Balance
    Adjusting Hue/Saturation........................................ ................69

Final preparation
    Reduce image size for Web posting.......................................75
    Apply noise reduction if necessary......................................... 76
    Sharpening........................................ ...................................77
    Convert to Profile........................................... ........................80

Adobe Photoshop CS3 shortcuts............................................87
    Recording Actions and more customized shortcuts..................88
    Here is the other example
    Opening my RAW file.............................................. ..............96
    Initial preparation....................................... ..........................100
    Post-processing proper............................................ ............110
    Final preparation....................................... ...........................118

Update by KhoKing
    The book can now be purchased at:
    http://shashinki.com/shop/ebook-port...up-p-1572.html

Original Price = RM89.70 or US$29.90
    Special RM15 or US$5 discount for PhotoMalaysia members! (final price = RM74.70 or US$24.90)

Discount coupon code: PMBH15

For every ebook sold using the discount coupon code above, RM5 donation will be made to PhotoMalaysia to support the annual maintenance cost of PhotoMalaysia (over RM5k per year)!
    Last edited by khoking; 26-05-2008, 12:35 PM.
    Yusuf Hashim
    sigpic

Re: Portraiture Post Processing for Beginners

Congrats Dtbh, you are doing us proud...
    Maxby has a facebook too

PhotoSafari - each experience is a different

Comment

Very impressive ! When will it be available and how much ?
      R E M M 2012

Comment

Wow... 121 pages of e-book by Dr. Teh.
        I think this gonna sell like hot cakes !

Comment

congratulation Dr Teh. i believe this will benefits many portrait photographers out there.
          www.facebook.com/meredzone

Comment

e-book?
            Hm...
            How do i get an autographed copy?

Comment

congratulations Dr. Teh, you da MAN!!!

ya lor, how la, to get autographed copy..??!!
              Comfortably numb...

Comment

Congrats Doc...

I'd like a copy too...any indication on the launching date??
                & any plans for a hard/soft cover copy??

DB

Comment

I always admire the portraits by dtbh. Congrats doc & I will surely get one.

Err.. got hardcover edition or not..

Comment

Thanks !!!! I am proud of you !
                    Canon 550D, Canon EFS 15-85, Tamron 60

Comment

When can I buy this book ?
                      Canon 550D, Canon EFS 15-85, Tamron 60

Comment

no real book?
                        facebook.com/pages/The-Shelves/252601961452458

Comment

congrats doc... u da man... auwwWWww
                          www.cheritapictures.com

Comment

Congratulations dtbh! I can't wait to get my copy.

Comment

digitally autographed! hehehe

btw, hopefully it's cheaper than attending one of Manny Librodo's workshop!
                              www.LURKER.smugmug.com

Comment

Working...
                              X