April 2011 - Mr Low

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• April 2011 - Mr Low

We are proud to announce our PhotoMalaysia featured photographer of the month - April 2011:

Name:  a8548e10b99dcbfb7d548359226f1b5f.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  154.3 KB

Mr Low

Here is the interview with him:

Name:  67de4f89e6c1340b95950ccb41569273.jpg
Size:  40.5 KB

Q: Can you tell us a little bit about yourself?

I am a retired businessman who took up photography to document my family. Now that I am retired, I have a lot of flexibility with my time, which allows me to pursue photography in a serious manner. I have taken multiple trips around Asia and North America. I like revisiting the same places since with each trip, I gain more insight and understanding of the area. Although I like to explore different subject matters in photography, I find myself gravitating towards landscape and nature.

Name:  2a988b24645090a8b64500d2fce49f36.jpg
Size:  155.2 KB

Name:  9c0fda48fbc0d1ab13429ad1df3889f5.jpg
Size:  286.6 KB

What is your photography history?

In efforts to document my family history, I started taking pictures with a manual Minolta SLR camera in my early thirties. With a series of trial and error, I took many successful family pictures. This experience left a very positive impression. Then, approximately 20 years ago, I met a group of avid photographers and that started my journey in taking pictures seriously.

Name:  15d2f0a0d746e7634b207a6318c0e50c.jpg
Size:  163.0 KB

Name:  5968a362adab68686c446579302239d4.jpg
Size:  237.6 KB

Can you describe your photography style?

Like everything in life, I learned how to take pictures from reading, researching, and experimentation. I took down systematic notes as I tested out theories and techniques that I have read about. From trial and errors, I formed my own theories about the subject matter. One of the main reasons I love photography is that it combines the technical aspects with artistic creativity.

Name:  4f6d4d6ce80f75ce2406c64666d2cd97.jpg
Size:  211.9 KB

I started off with film photography using Leica m6 and m7, followed by Nikon f100 and f5. Then I explored with medium formats using Hasselblad cw503 and 905. Last, but not least, I tried Mamiya 7 .2

Afterwards, I went into digital photography with Nikon d1x, Nikon d2x, Nikon d2xs, Leica m8, Nikon d3, and Nikon d3x. I also used Hasselblad 503, 905 with Sinar digital back. Digital photography was such a liberating experience. Ever since I started digital photography, I never turned back. Digital gave me the full control of the process from shooting, processing, and printing Using the printers Epson 4000, 4800, 2400, and Hp1300, I am able to produce prints with depth, warmth, and details. I like to compare the process of digital photography to the same process a chef would go through: picking the ingredients at the market, creating the recipe, cooking the dish and serving the dish.

Name:  1aadc18e270a494885d15848ab1b03b9.jpg
Size:  283.8 KB

I get my inspirations from nature. Whenever I go on a photographic trip, I like to stay way from the crowd, get a quiet space, and let the subject speak to me. Approaching a subject matter with a new perspective is very important for me. Taking a solitary walk allows me to keep my work original, without getting influence by others, but retaining the organic process of an artist approaching his craft.

Name:  1794c4e651d0c4bbc93a368e15dd5e28.jpg
Size:  248.4 KB

Any advise for aspiring PhotoMalaysia members?

My advice for others is the same advice to myself. Study the fundamentals of photography well. Learn the basics of the camera, techniques, and let your imagination take you to different levels. Do not be afraid of taking risks. Experiment and learn. Share your knowledge but always be open to learn more. I am still taking classes and reading to educate myself. I am also actively coaching and helping my fellow photographers. It is with these conversations and learning arenas that allow creativity to flourish.

Name:  8013f959c709242f72ab2935db4040a9.jpg
Size:  56.0 KB

Re: April 2011 - Mr Low

This is impressive. Congratulations
    Maxby has a facebook too

PhotoSafari - each experience is a different

Comment

exquisite collections! Congrats Mr Low very well deserve indeed!
      Your 1st 10,000 shots are your worst - H.C. Besson; thank god for memory cards.

Comment

y advice for others is the same advice to myself. Study the fundamentals of photography well. Learn the basics of the camera, techniques, and let your imagination take you to different levels. Do not be afraid of taking risks. Experiment and learn. Share your knowledge but always be open to learn more. I am still taking classes and reading to educate myself. I am also actively coaching and helping my fellow photographers. It is with these conversations and learning arenas that allow creativity to flourish.
        Thank You Sir for the advice, you're an inspiration to all other photographers out there
        Behind The Scene by ted adnan ...

Comment

WOW WOW WOW

I love all of them... great work

Comment

Inspirational!! Thank you for sharing ! Nice nice..

Comment

what a nice series.. i like your work....

Comment

Congratulation

Comment

Thank you Mr Low for your advice and sharing your most impressive photos here.
                  If Uncle Maxby finds your shots impressive, be rest assured its jaw dropping for the rest of us.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Low
                    ...Share your knowledge but always be open to learn more. I am still taking classes and reading to educate myself. I am also actively coaching and helping my fellow photographers. It is with these conversations and learning arenas that allow creativity to flourish..
                    I couldn't agree more. Learning is a lifelong process, and modesty and sharing and coaching and helping our fellow photographers reach greater heights, have the double satisfaction of seeing better and often more surprising pictures being shot, but more importantly, we ourselves learn more as we try to understand more of what we are trying to make others understand. Congratulations to you Sir. Your pictures here are an inspiration to all of us and I do hope you'll share more of your work with us....
                    Yusuf Hashim
                    sigpic

Comment

Congratulations.

Comment

Congratulations.

Comment

Congratulations Sir. Great work and advice.

Comment

Nice series of pics...tahniah mr low
                            http://shooqphotography.smugmug.com/

Comment

Powerful! Powerful!

Thanks for your advice. Congratulation.

Comment

Working...
                              X