June 2011 - Maxby

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• June 2011 - Maxby

We are proud to announce our PhotoMalaysia featured photographer of the month - June 2011:

Name:  d76d0975a03d1f298b6664704194b944.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  152.1 KB

Maxby

Here is the interview with him:

Q: Can you tell us a little bit about yourself?

I am semi-retired and determined to live life to its fullest. When I was young I had planned to divide my life into 3 parts, going for an education, earning a living and having my own life. I figured that if I put roughly 25 years of my life into each part, that would roughly summarised my show on this world stage.

Name:  46eb601aa1138f210462680798dfec29.jpg
Size:  101.8 KB
    Antelope Canyon 2010

Q: What is your photography history?

When I was young, I loved art. However, fate has it that in order to earn a living; I had to concentrate on science. Photography became an escape of sorts from the logical scientific world. I bought my first camera with my second pay check, it was an Olympus OM1n. Later, I added a darkroom. However, I gave that all up due to the pressure of building up a family and career.

Name:  23a2f5149532dfb5dc34f57c028b0e5f.jpg
Views: 2
Size:  76.0 KB
    An image that was in the mind's eye for 10 years before finally capturing it in camera

I resumed this hobby when I decided to semi-retire. When I started then, it was like starting all over again. The digital photography age was just at its infancy. The technology was still very young and unstable. Owning a digicam with a 3mp was a big deal then. I bought my first digital camera – a Nikon Coolpix 995 at a sum equivalent to today’s mid-end DSLR.

Name:  d93853742983226b7edbaa1be5abe78e.jpg
Size:  20.5 KB
    Sunset in Rulous Village, Siem Reap, 2009

At that time I very frustrated with the limitations of the digital sensors. I decided to go back to my roots and started re-learning black and white photography. I spent six to seven years shooting nothing but black and white photos, developing it and printing it in the darkroom. Looking back, that was the best period of my photography development. If forced me to explore this medium intimately.

Name:  55b1c0e7685addfa953a445b7653210a.jpg
Size:  181.5 KB
    Boat man, Panchuria, Bangladesh 2010

Three years ago when Yusuf aka digitalartist and I decided to start this PMPE (PhotoMalaysia PhotoSafari Experience) program to impart our photography knowledge to beginners in photography, I moved gradually from analogue to digital. This time the learning curve was much easier and faster. I realised that I could import the film and wet darkroom (analogue) thinking into the digital world quite seamlessly.
    Like all other photographers, I am guilty of accumulating and shooting different brands of cameras and formats from small, medium to large. My latest addition was a Pentax K5.

Name:  c04f4078947601e2fbec0f1e5433d3db.jpg
Size:  442.5 KB
    Wenchong Hutong, 2009

Q: Can you describe your photography style?

Creating one’s own style in photography is the most challenging because it goes beyond technical aspects and composition. One has to develop one’s mind eye and telling a visual story in one’s own way. This is an ever developing lifelong process. However, I am building it on my black and white photography foundation. Some of my friends even said that my colour photos looked like black and white. I love simplicity but I find it very hard to achieve.

Name:  a3a84aa12597ec0367b3356bd376825c.jpg
Size:  70.8 KB
    Fisherman- Long Hai, Vietnam, 2009

Our PMPE programs have given me the unique opportunity to develop this personal style. Most of our photosafari trips consist of 5 to 21 days of continuous shooting day-in-day-out. Our photo sharing sessions also forced all the participants including myself to think critically. It was really the most enjoyable photography experience I have ever done in my life. What started off as a community service of teaching and coaching newbies in photography has grown into personal discovery not only for the participants but the coaches as well…..it is a very humbling experience.

Q: Any advise for aspiring PhotoMalaysia members?

I believe most of the newbies in photography do not aspire to do become professional photographers. Having said that most amateur photographers would eventually give it up when they feel that they are not progressing at the rate that will satisfy them.

Name:  5b487859ba74dd4aaaa73f9f28c8b9b7.jpg
Size:  280.5 KB
    Thamel Bazaar, Kathmandu, Nepal, 2011

One of best way on how to keep that interest alive is to learn photography from the basics. Spend some time on building up that foundation so that you can move onto a different level as your style and skills improve. The easier ways to keep that interest alive is to join some of the photography workshops, photography forums, read photography books, magazines, discussion groups or a good photo tour.

Name:  9bd4a89fb0f06e6637dbf71405b12495.jpg
Size:  80.9 KB
    Dai Minh Lake, Vietnam 2009

Personally I find PhotoMalaysia’s forum is unique. I may be bias here as I have put in many years of effort in developing this forum. It has both online and offline activities that give photographers the opportunity to interact socially, sharing knowledge, poisoning each other, develop their own photography skills, flaming (hehehe!). The best part is most of its activities are free or cost very little. All these offline activities are headed by experience photographers who have selflessly willing to share their experience…..you cannot get better than that.

Name:  de816144ec69f17195f0c41964908f9e.jpg
Size:  264.8 KB
    Hotan, Bazaar, (Silk Road) Xinjiang, 2010

I hope more photographers would come forward and share their experiences or help out in developing this Malaysian Photography Community.

Last edited by maxby; 01-06-2011, 05:54 PM.

Re: June 2011 - Maxby

Congrats, Uncle Maxby! Inspirational story, your photographic journey that is.

Regards, Ralverd
    www.Ray-Lim.com

Comment

Brilliant choice. Congratulations Maxby Chan.
      SAYA TUKANG GAMBAR
      sigpic

Comment

1st?! Congrats Uncle Max, i think you should be featured every month la, your willingness to share photography knowledge is very much appreciated. So got karaoke session later ah?
        HASSLEBLOOD!

Comment

you done well maxby
          Flash light diffuser here

Comment

GREAT MR MAXBY VERY WELL DONE
            Last edited by noordin; 02-06-2011, 07:04 AM.

Comment

he should be choose be very 1st few .. congraz
              [URL="http://liewwkphoto.com/blog/"]liewwk Nature Photography Blog[/URL][URL="http://www.liewwkphoto.com/"] [/URL][URL="http://www.liewwkphoto.com/"]
              [/URL]

Comment

pemilihan yang terbaik...amongs the best photographer i ever met...chaiyok!!!chaiyok!!!
                what u prefer is not always the right things

Comment

i do not have the chance to meet many photographers from pm, but i have met maxby, and i have learnt quite some stuff from him. this is one of those few i know whose passion is photography. not people trying to make money. i salute him.
                  http://www.behance.net/photodelics

Comment

COngrats Unc. Maxby. I have to agree that even your color photos look like b&w. Yet they are full of life. =)

Comment

Thx uncle Maxby for your undying passion and kind contributions....

Love from PhotoMalaysia members~

Comment

Congratulations
                        Maxby

YOU ARE THE ONE ! ! !

tungtong
                        http://www.http://www.flickr.com/photos/tungtong/

Comment

Congrats, well deserved it!

Comment

Well deserved. Congrats Max. I too have learned my B&W knowledge from him.

Comment

Congrat uncle Maxby, well deserved.

Comment

Working...
                              X