1st May 2009 - Photomalaysia.com is proud to announce Photomalaysia.com's Photo of the Year 2008.
The award for 2008 goes to Rarindra Prakarsa, who won the judges' votes unanimously.
"I began as amateur photographer since 1995 when I first own a Nikon FM2 camera with some lenses. But I learn photography since 1992 when I studied in Polytechnic University of Indonesia. In the first of my amateur photography I really love journalism and street photography. I love dark room process too. And in 1998 I quit from photography until 2003 when I start again with digital camera. I bought Canon G5 at that time and sold all my analog gears. And begin to love human photography.", Rarindra said.
On photography, he adds, "Photography to me is to illustrate my interesting of every aspects of human and their nature. And I think my country, Indonesia, with many ethnics and culture is very rich with uniqueness. I like to photograph native people, so walk around from kampong to kampong (villages) to meet them make me happy."
Rarindra's winning photo was taken in Serpong, West Java of a farmer, Mr Waji and his grandson on a local government owned paddy field. As a native, Mr. Waji's land occupied by government about 30 years ago for the National Laboratory of Technology, Indonesia.
For his photo, Rarindra will receive a Canon EOS 40D + 18-55IS kit lens sponsored by Canon Marketing (M) Sdn. Bhd. who also graciously lent us the usage of the CPS (Canon Professional Services) Lounge located at their headquaters at Paremba Square, The Saujana, Shah Alam for the judging
The judges for PM.com's Photo of the Year 2008 in alphabetical order were:
- Jen Siow - Jenhor Siow Photographer, Portrait Artist, Educator and VR developer. Better known in the industry as beauty and fashion photographer Jen Siow.
With a career spanning 3 decades, he has worked with some of the most famous and beautiful people for editorial, beauty, and advertising industry. Having a pioneering spirit he is always the industry first to embrace any new styles and technology.
He has a global clientele with clients from China, Vietnam, Indonesia, Lebanon and as far as Russia. His passion in creating awesome photography is well noticed and appreciated by his clients. He continues to be sought-after for his lighting and rapport with models.
- Patrick Low - Renowned wedding photographer who has been a professional photographer for the past 20 years. Patrick is the first Malaysian in top 40 photographers of the year on top of winning it for 4 consecutive times in 2006 & 3 consecutive times in 2007 in different categories in Wedding Photojournalist Association competitions.
- Steve Chong - Steve found his niche in conceptual and surrealistic photography, a passion that he pursues fervently. His tireless efforts and photographic eye have earned him international accolades from Austria, Germany, Spain, Italy, Poland, USA, Singapore and Luxembourg and Malaysia, ranging from 1st prizes, gold medals to silvers and bronzes. Steve Chong is currently the vice president of the Photographic Society of Negeri Sembilan and contributing editor for Photo Creator and Advanced Images. He is also a moderator from Fotografer.net, the largest Photography forum in Indonesia.
- Teoh Peng Kee - Representative of Canon Marketing (M) Sdn. Bhd. A photography professional that is well-known in the industry for more than 20 years. Besides his obvious expertise in Canon cameras in general, he is known to have a intense passion for photography and have been the driving force behind the Canon EOS system's adoption among professionals and amateurs alike throughout Malaysia.
- Vincent Thian - Associated Press Chief Photographer for Malaysia, Singapore and Brunei, also President of Malaysia Chinese Photojournalists Association, cover international breaking news, sports events all over Asia.
For behind the scenes look at the judging, click here