google-site-verification: googleff3ef223fa187539.html [JW] Bersih 3.0, and then i was taken away for 11 hours - PhotoMalaysia Community

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[JW] Bersih 3.0, and then i was taken away for 11 hours

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [JW] Bersih 3.0, and then i was taken away for 11 hours

On the night of 27 April 2012, I left for Dataran Merdeka (Independence Square) after work to stay in Citin Hotel Masjid Jamek, at which I had made a reservation weeks before the rally. There I met up with friends and scouted Dataran Merdeka to plan for escape routes in case anything happened. The moment we arrived, Bersih protestors had already flooded its entrance. They were chanting and sit-in (duduk bantah). The square was all barb wired, guarded with hundreds of policemen.
    #1. This is Democracy

#2.

#3.

#4.

#5.

#6.

#7.

I started out at KLCC on the day of rally (28.04.2012) with the Himpunan Hijau 3.0 (Green Rally 3.0) group, where they marched from KLCC before joining the rest at Dataran Merdeka for the sit-in.
    #8.

#9.

#10.

#11.

#12.

#13.

#14.

#15.

#16.

#17.

Half an hour later – around 3.45pm to 4.15pm – while I was sitting inside the hotel cafe for some rest and refreshment, around three or four policemen barged in without warrant. The instant one of them saw me, he pointed at me and wanted to take me away. Grabbing me by the shoulder, he shouted, “You ikut saya!” (you follow me). I then asked whether I was under arrest and on what grounds, then told him I’d left my wallet and identification card in my bag, and that I needed to get it.

But instead he repeatedly shouted, “You diam, ikut saya!” (shut up and follow me). Leaving me no chance to grab my IC, I knew I’d be in trouble. So i raised both my hands in the air and shouted, “I won’t struggle, I won’t struggle, I won’t struggle!” inside the hotel foyer. I was then hit behind my head by another policemen.Turning around, I saw that he kept both of his hands behind his back, and wasn’t sure whether it was him who hit me. Distantly, I heard the hotel security guard telling him not to hit me as I was a resident of the hotel; the policeman just screamed and told him to shut up.

I think the security guard was saying, “CCTV, CCTV…”, though I can’t be sure because I felt dizzy and had a dreadful headache. The policemen brought me all the way from Citin Hotel to Dataran Merdeka, shouting for me to run, “I nak you lari, LARI! LARI! LARI!”

I tried to calm him down and kept telling him that I wasn’t going to struggle, and that I would follow what he said. As soon as I arrived at Dataran Merdeka, a group of other policemen saw me and charged forward – kicking me on my legs and back. I kept on telling the policemen who grabbed me that I was not going to struggle with him. At first, when the other policemen tried to charge forward, he warned them not to hit me – “Jangan pukul dia.” I tried to look for his name and batch number, but there was none.

Furthermore, I was refused the right to call any lawyers or friends. I could only secretly send out text messages (thank God for the Blackberry QWERTY keypad!). We were all carried into a CAGE without being told where we’d be sent to, even though we persistently asked.

i was detained for 11 hours and refused for most of my fundamental rights.

I DON'T MEAN TO CONDEMN ANYTHING, I SPEAK OF TRUTH. APPRECIATE IF EVERYONE DON'T DISCUSS ABOUT POLITICS HERE!
    | heejennwei.blogspot.com |

Re: [JW] Bersih 3.0, and then i was taken away for 11 hours

Why you? They obviously targeted you. Buy why.

I feel sorry for your bad experience.

Do lodge a report to the Bar Council.

Comment

Originally posted by noordin View Post

i'm not sure as well. i was inside the hotel where i stayed, then a few officers came in, they saw me and took me away.
      luckily, they didn't see my camera. one of the detainee's camera was confiscated.

already lodge police report, do medical check up, and gave the details to SUARAM.
      | heejennwei.blogspot.com |

Comment

Thank you for sharing your unfortunate experience. Do make a report to the Bar Council or Bersih just in case of mistaken identity where you are accused of something you did not commit later on.

Comment

Thanks for sharing bro..

Comment

Originally posted by noordin View Post

is it because of camera or big slr which attract their attention?

Comment

Love your pictures. Felt sad for the way you're treated... but admired your courage for being there and recording the event.
              D600, D700,D7000, 15 lenses & 3 flashes

Comment

This is a good share. I shall await for more from you.

By the way. The D700 pics so clean.
                [URL="http://www.jasonbeyond.com"]www.jasonbeyond.com[/URL]

Comment

Nevermind. Reading your blog now mate.
                  [URL="http://www.jasonbeyond.com"]www.jasonbeyond.com[/URL]

Comment

Thats messed up bro. Power to the people and justice for all, especially the photojournos out there.

Although unlikely, I do hope you receive the justice you deserve.
                    Find me at http://www.dominiquekeephotography.com

Comment

Great photos, really capture the spirit of the moment with very moving photographic flair.

So sorry to hear about your unfortunate ordeal... I don't get it why these persons in uniform need to beat you up even after you have been cooperative and only armed with a camera. We really haven't progress at all from the black eye incident of 1998 where the persons in uniform carrying the royal seal behave like thugs and bullies.

Comment

Sorry to hear your story.
                        Quran 69:18

Comment

Sorry about your misfortune. Chin up bro.

Comment

Sad to hear you got hurt due to the unprofessional conduct of the cops. I respect you for risking your health & gear to take the photos. Glad that your gear didn't get smashed like some.

Hope you get well soon
                            Last edited by trinity; 02-05-2012, 05:55 PM.

Comment

Fuji GX617!
                              http://danishfairoz.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X