google-site-verification: googleff3ef223fa187539.html World's Smallest Raptor - PhotoMalaysia Community

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

World's Smallest Raptor

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • World's Smallest Raptor

    Here's was the rare chance to catch a Black Thighed Falconet up close and down low enough. This guy was hunting for a few flycatchers and bulbuls for lunch when he paused to perch accidentally low enough for me to fire off a few shots.

    Location : Bukit Tinggi (man! what is it about this place? So many lifers)
    Pic1


    Pic2


    chien

  • #2
    Re: World's Smallest Raptor

    Ha, chien, nice catch of this Black Thighed Falconet.

    Later, some other time, let me share with you and our fellow PMers, another claimnant as the World's Smallest Raptor, same size with Black Thighed (15 CM), but can only be found in North Borneo (endermic to Sabah), the White Fronted Falconet (Microhierax latifrons).

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: World's Smallest Raptor

      Originally posted by TSWong
      Ha, chien, nice catch of this Black Thighed Falconet.

      Later, some other time, let me share with you and our fellow PMers, another claimnant as the World's Smallest Raptor, same size with Black Thighed (15 CM), but can only be found in North Borneo (endermic to Sabah), the White Fronted Falconet (Microhierax latifrons).
      Thanks Wong. You guys in Sabah got birds which are not in both of my referral books! Kinabatangan part 2!!!!

      chien

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: World's Smallest Raptor

        waaa...love the colours (looks like tree bark camo pattern if viewed from far). Nice one.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: World's Smallest Raptor

          that was real close ! must be a heart stopping moment eh...

          The closest i got to was in Ayer Keroh when they were nesting but the lighting then was real bad.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: World's Smallest Raptor

            Originally posted by tsechien
            Thanks Wong. You guys in Sabah got birds which are not in both of my referral books! Kinabatangan part 2!!!!

            chien

            hehehe come again to sabah chien and this time we go danum valley for elusive birding
            http://horukuru.blogspot.com

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: World's Smallest Raptor

              Very nice S.Raptor....you the only one have it.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: World's Smallest Raptor

                Nice one. Should have gone again on sunday. But then again can'r miss watching F1... can I?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: World's Smallest Raptor

                  Originally posted by horukuru
                  hehehe come again to sabah chien and this time we go danum valley for elusive birding

                  I thought Danum is great for insect.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: World's Smallest Raptor

                    Hey, Horukuru, I might take up your offer to go Danum!!! I'd be totting two cameras then, one for macro & another for birds!!! Yay!!!

                    Chien, this bird looks beautiful up close unlike all the 'silhouettes' that I've seen on sky high perches. How low did it come down to?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: World's Smallest Raptor

                      Originally posted by pummkin
                      Hey, Horukuru, I might take up your offer to go Danum!!! I'd be totting two cameras then, one for macro & another for birds!!! Yay!!!

                      Chien, this bird looks beautiful up close unlike all the 'silhouettes' that I've seen on sky high perches. How low did it come down to?
                      Thanks guys, it came low down bcos it was chasing a flock of bulbuls and flycatchers (for a meal, I would think). It only perched for a fleet second for me to fire off some 5-8 shots.

                      chien

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: World's Smallest Raptor

                        Originally posted by godzilla
                        I thought Danum is great for insect.
                        yeah insects, ants, birds, snakes, primates and most of all, the trees together with the canopy walkway where u can spend the whole day on the walkway looking for jumping monkeys, orang utan looking at u from the top, flying hornbills with the spectacular sounds of flapping wings and many more ...
                        http://horukuru.blogspot.com

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: World's Smallest Raptor

                          this bird is called raptor meh?

                          i thot raptor = lizard ...hahaha

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: World's Smallest Raptor

                            Originally posted by qqmeng
                            this bird is called raptor meh?

                            i thot raptor = lizard ...hahaha
                            Raptor = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bird_of_prey

                            Lizard is Cicak lah

                            chien

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: World's Smallest Raptor

                              ooops.... sorry

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X