google-site-verification: googleff3ef223fa187539.html Photos lack 'Life' - PhotoMalaysia Community

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Photos lack 'Life'

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photos lack 'Life'

Hey Guys,

I am a newbie and I know nuts.

I went to the Zoo yesterday to take some pictures with a 40D and 55-250mm lens. Every single picture came out very dull and 'dead' when I copied it onto my PC and opened it with the DPP. Only when I 'adjust' the pics the then only it starts looking colourful and vibrant.

My question is how do I take pictures that are colourful and lifely at the zoo. What settings must I use cos my 'original' pictures really suck? My friend says that I must adjust it via the DPP then only it will look nice. BUT I am disheartened because the original pics I take are lousy in terms of colour and have no life. Are there any special 'skills' involved? I think someone using a compact could have produced pictures that are more lifely than me using the DSLR.

Here is just a one of the FEW HUNDRED 'DEAD & DULL' pics I took yesterday. How come so dead? Please advice me.

btw, I was using AV mode. didnt play around with shutter speed. mostly 4-5.6 aperture. auto white balance.
    Attached Files

Re: Photos lack 'Life'

1. What Picture Style are you using? There are a few different picture styles which you can utilize. Other than that, you can create your own custom picture style where the saturation, contrast, and sharpness can be adjusted according to your taste.

2. While Auto White Balance is fine, try to use the correct white balance for the conditions you're in (if it's cloudy use Cloudy, if it is sunny use Daylight, etc).

3. All photos from the camera will benefit from some post processing, no matter how basic (color adjustment, sharpness, contrast, curves, etc). So don't worry, just use it.

These should give your pictures better 'life', try it out.

Btw, I assume you're shooting in RAW, since you mentioned you opened the images in DPP for post processing. Try switching to JPEG and shoot, the pictures may be a bit punchier, because they have already been processed by the camera.

Comment

Jay-Z is right, but even you shoot in RAW, i believe is the picture style that cause the issue which make you phot dull, do try some picture style with the same screen, you will get the different recult & choose those you love it.

Comment

Dull photo is almost always cause by WB and sometimes exposure..

WHEN you take photo RAW.. you always have to proses it to liven it up.. good news RAW file it is easy to change WB.. learn to use curve and adjust accordingly.. to much contrast you pull it down a tad.. to little give it more contrast.. and saturation... hmmm usually when WB is correct you don't need saturation.. maybe selectively.. raise saturation at specific color channel..

Comment

you may want to increase your exposure slightly. sometimes it can add more pop to the picture by opening up the shadow areas. i believe this is what they call as 'exposing to the right'

try it. from my eyes, they do look a bit better

some reference: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tu...se-right.shtml

Comment

Do you adjust your WB? Or just leave it auto.
            If adjust how to justify what WB?
            Thanks

Comment

based on what you've explained, you seem to prefer striking colours. maybe you can set ur settings to VIVID?
              www.ystingphotography.com

Comment

they very2 cute !
                I'm SPM Victim ! Always talk in MANGLISH

Comment

Thanks for all your comments and guidance. I used autoWB and 'standard' style. I have PP the photos but I think I better start a new thread cos the rules say one pic per thread for newbies. hope you all can comment ya. thanks again.

Comment

+1 to VIVID picture control/style. Here are some basics, you keep it on standard for people and portraits and use vivid for generally everything else. Vivid will boost the contrast and saturation level of your picture which is how you get those vibrant colors but remember that this is seldom not suitable for portraits cause it will tend yo make your skin too orange. This is the most important thing for me when I'm setting up my camera. It will totally define the picture. Go around your house or out to your garden and experiment. You will definitely see the difference.

If situation permits (ie: sufficient light), try stopping your lens down to about f8 which is usually the optimum aperture for sharpness. As mentioned, you could work a lil on your exposure. If it's to dark, dial it to a +0.3 or whatever is befitting.

You've got a good camera and it's definitely not your cameras fault. If you know how to use it right, it will create you beautiful pictures. Most of my postings here on PM are shot with a D40
                    http://www.flickr.com/photos/beautiful_oblivion/

Comment

People who took RAW the first time always disappointed with the result.. You need to know how to do RAW processing to be able to get the best out of the RAW files.. I have mode a video to process RAW with Adobe camera RAW.. but unfortunately the sound was stripped out.. I will make new video soon for RAW processing with sound.. but here it is for now

Comment

hmmm nice video. I will set it to vivid mode to try out. thanks

Comment

left corner seen under exposed.

Comment

Working...
                          X