Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Infrared Photography Underwater in Mabul ;)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Infrared Photography Underwater in Mabul ;)

Trying something new here

These were taken with a newly converted Nikon D7000 for 720nm infrared. I am loving infrared as a photography tool. Although I still prefer the colors of the underwater world, I feel these may throw a different perspective on things. I house the camera in a Nauticam underwater housing and use one or two Sea & Sea YS-110a underwater strobes to blast out enough light.

As the Nikkor 60mm AF-S gives a nasty hotspot, I used a 105VR for these shots. Strobe positioning was tricky. It also isn't enough to just place the strobe close. The distance between the lens and subject also has to be pretty close as IR light is quenched very quickly through water. It was also a challenge to guess what textures would reflect infrared light and how well it would do so. Many of my shots turned out dull or just a bright mess... shooting against the blue was vital.

I hope you enjoy these shots as much as I enjoyed taking them. I hope to use some of these new techniques for a few dive photo shootouts/competitions in Wakatobi and Layang Layang next month

Re: Infrared Photography Underwater in Mabul

amazing!

Comment

wonderful !

Comment

what a unique combination. IR + underwater.

Comment

Amazing!!! Ketam like

Comment

the nudi and goby shot does show great detail!! exellent!!

Comment

Thank you all Just trying something new. I still think UW colors shouldn't be wasted. But it is interesting to see what reflects IR light underwater

Comment

superb!

Comment

"Dare to be different"........

I still prefer the normal colorful view of the underwater world.

Comment

no.3 is the cutest thing ever! hahah!

wonderful series but ill have to agree with uncle noordin. But some pictures do work well with IR though. nice!
                    www.ystingphotography.com

Comment

i think IR do let us seem something which we normally can't.
                      the Pikachu Nudi shot is excellent example, it had show more inner detail than normal color shot.

Comment

wow! how u manage to shoot IR underwater? i thought its not able to preview IR shots before shooting..

Comment

interesting....but colours are dull...nonetheless, now i know how it looks like!
                          http://www.behance.net/photodelics

Comment

wow. this is VERY different! I like this

Comment

Yeah... I really feel the same way. Colors shouldn't be wasted underwater. IR brings a surreal feel to topside photos as we all know what something should look like. Underwater though, things are already fascinating as it is. Light also already gets robbed the deeper you go and colors are already lost.

Having said that, like Sweesin said, IR does allow us to see some things that we normally can't. Perhaps a filter with a lower cutoff such as 660nm will allow for more interesting color variations.

Vash_h, I used a converted d7000 instead of an external filter. As such, my viewfinder works ok. Shutter speeds are close to normal too

Comment

Working...
                              X