Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: is it possible to recover photos from undetected/damaged SD card?

Thanks

is it possible to recover photos from undetected/damaged SD card?

Advertise here
    photomalaysia@gmail.com

Terrible thing happened to me last night. I was in the middle of shooting a wedding and suddenly my SD card threw CHA error on my D90. I tried to turn off and on but no luck. I even took out the battery but the result still the same. Trying to be positive, i changed to my other card and continue shooting hoping that i can still read the card using my card reader at home. To my surprise, the card was still unreadable and its not even detected on my pc and laptop.

Does anyone ever experience this before? do i still have the chance to recover back the image? i came across a web that offer data recovery by reading raw data (http://card-recovery.biz/us/service.php) but too bad it is not in Malaysia. What is the other option do i have to get back the image? please advise..
    www.flickr.com/sibikos

Thanks

Re: is it possible to recover photos from undetected/damaged SD card?

have you try using different type of card reader and other pc? i just help a friend to recover his CF yesterday... lucky for us, we manage to recover the data...

If the card is detected on any pc, try to download a recovery software to recover...

wish u luck bro...
    www.cheritapictures.com

Thanks

yes, bro. i've tried that as well. Now i am thinking to get a brand new card reader after work to test it again tonight
    www.flickr.com/sibikos

Thanks

jengjengjeng... ur customer know bout this?? u dont have any backup body or backup photographer??
    i'm not a photographer but i'm SHUTTERKILLER

Thanks

Luckily there were 2 of us (photog) and 1 videographer. I was just helping my friend's to shoot the event, not an OP or anything like that. But i shoot many family photos as i used wide lens that night. My friend used tele to cover candid scenes. i cant help to imagine how hard will be for the groom to explain to his relative that their family photos are gone. Good thing that the groom hired a videographer, they can still view family photo in there *sigh*
    www.flickr.com/sibikos

Thanks

i used the recovery disc provided in the box when i got my Sandisk's CF card to help a friend recover his pics last week...if you have anyone with the Sandisk recovery disc...maybe you can ask him to help you...

we managed to recover almost 90% of his pics..

good luck...

DB

Thanks

say goodbye to your photos..hehe.. a friend of mine experienced this some time ago.. He was the only photog for the day and the problem happened at his last shot. Means ALL of the photos lost!! Sent his card to some hackers also couldn't fix. Luckily he transferred the solemnization photos.

Thanks

...perhaps it's a good idea for future assignment(s) to carry along a handy and small p&s. You will not get the perfect back-up shots. Then you at least have some of those family group photos to show...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pmbillyk View Post
    ...perhaps it's a good idea for future assignment(s) to carry along a handy and small p&s. You will not get the perfect back-up shots. Then you at least have some of those family group photos to show...
    this is a good idea.. will do this one day when i am serious into wedding
    www.flickr.com/sibikos

Thanks

guys, can Sandisk recovery disc recover files from undetected card?
    www.flickr.com/sibikos

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sibikos View Post
    guys, can Sandisk recovery disc recover files from undetected card?
    No. If the card is not recognized by the PC, it can't go to that "drive" to try recovery. Would have to replace the chip that controls the card, which requires certain expertise which I don't have. I can only recover from crash hard drives and that also depends on whether I can get parts to do it.

Thanks

guys, thank you for all your advices. Rescue mission has been officially called off. my last hope to use new card reader has also failed. I have to accept the fact that i've lost all the photos... *sob* *sob*
    www.flickr.com/sibikos

Thanks

recently had my ext hdd (work in progress) accidentally switched off. as such, it was an unsafe eject from my system. when i tried to connect again to my mac, the ext hdd was not detectable. disk utility was able to detect it but for some unknown reason, it was only detectable for awhile. my wild guess was that unsafe eject caused the ext hdd not able to be detected. so, to me in laymen term, it seems like the 'bridge' linking the ext hdd to my mac has broken down. for it to be detectable, the bridge must be repaired.

so after painstakingly googling for a solution, i kinda decided to go with Stella Phoenix. it managed to 'detect' the ext hdd and i kinda scrambled to copy & backup as much data as possible, esp the one that i am working on. basically, i managed to recover all my data.

well, after the whole episode, i tried to format the ext hdd on mac & pc but somehow it was not able to be formatted. sent in the ext hdd and RMA-ed on the spot. according to the technician after he had run some verification via their software, the ext hdd had serious bad sectors.

so in your case, if the SD is undetectable, you can try some recovery s/w to mend the 'broken bridge' before you can recover your photos. hope my 2 cents help.
    w: fotolightbox.com fb: Fotolightbox Photography

Thanks

thanks Bro. i think i tried that software but still no luck. I'll never buy Apacer sd card again after this. I'll upgrade all my cards to sandisk extreme perhaps.
    www.flickr.com/sibikos

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sibikos View Post
    thanks Bro. i think i tried that software but still no luck. I'll never buy Apacer sd card again after this. I'll upgrade all my cards to sandisk extreme perhaps.
    You should never skim on the memory card. You can have the best camera and lens in the world but if you don't have any images to show, you might as well not shoot any paid gig. It is not that Sandisk are failure proof, but so far it has proven itself to be pretty reliable. Regards.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by focus101 View Post
    You should never skim on the memory card. You can have the best camera and lens in the world but if you don't have any images to show, you might as well not shoot any paid gig. It is not that Sandisk are failure proof, but so far it has proven itself to be pretty reliable. Regards.
    Agree but just be careful of fake Sandisks.....

Thanks

Tq bro. point taken and i've learned my lesson. Card failure in the middle of the event and not able to retrieve them back are the worst nightmare that could ever happen to a photographer...
    www.flickr.com/sibikos

Thanks

i tried recuva (free) but it only recover deleted/formated pictures very well... too well..
    recovered the photos i took years ago (i never reached the full capacity of the SD yet)

but for the corrupted and unreadable... i used ZAR(Zero Assumption Recovery) demo version, and its worked like a charm.. all 698 event photos retrieved..
    well... its took alot of processor power since my friend's laptop "hang" twice...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zepirate View Post
    Agree but just be careful of fake Sandisks.....
    how do we tell if it's fake or real?
    www.ystingphotography.com

Thanks

You must try some data recovery software. try "Kernel for FAT and NTFS" i have personally used this software and it worked like a charm for me. It perfectly recovers data from deleted, formatted, and damaged partitions without errors. One more good thing about this software is you can try free demo version , using demo version you can preview the data recovered before actually buying the software. If you are satisfied with the data preview you can go for buying the software to recover your data.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information