Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I use this, how about you?

Thanks

I use this, how about you?

Advertise here
    photomalaysia@gmail.com

I'm a starter in photography using DSLR camera.
    I believe one of the problem for starter is the setting. Here is a trick I use (as a noob). I'll set to Auto and have snap to get a rough figure of what setting to use. Then based on this I adjust the ISO, Aperture, Shutter Speed etc.

JUST WONDERING, IS THIS THE CORRECT WAY?
    Do help please.

Thanks

Re: I use this, how about you?

The best way is to buy a good book and learn about the basics thoroughly. That way you don't have to do any guesswork.

Regards, Ralverd
    www.Ray-Lim.com

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ralverd View Post
    The best way is to buy a good book and learn about the basics thoroughly. That way you don't have to do any guesswork.

Regards, Ralverd

I agree, completely.

If you want to improve fast, buy a book. There's no short cut, contrary to what you may think.

Thanks

You can also go for some workshops for hands-on lessons. I think there are many offered in this forum.

Thanks

Also, subscribe to some of the digital photography magazines. The local editions are affordable and very readable with up to date information and techniques. RM10 a month only, and so interesting to read. Lots of photos from others as well to look at and provide inspiration.

Thanks

The auto function is only helpful but not by a lot. If all you do is just follow the exif of auto functions, then why bother with manual, aperture or shutter priority. There is so much more than just clicking and viewing exif. Reading is key. Even if you were to join classes (which I strongly recommend), you still need to have a rough idea on what is being taught. Reading will give you the theory and classes will give you practical. Both goes hand in hand. Same like Chemistry or Biology class. Theory is just head knowledge but pair it with practical, you will actually see how things work. People often ask me photography related questions and ask me to bring them out but I always ask them to read up first and learn the basics of photography such as how aperture works, what shutter speed, ideal ISO bla bla bla. Each of these are correlated to each. Know how they work and then you have the basic fundamentals. The subject of composition will follow suit. The internet is your best friend if you do not want to buy any books. Just a simple google search will do.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/beautiful_oblivion/

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ralverd View Post

Regards, Ralverd
    Agreed. Buy magazine's will help to. join the PM outing even better
    Photography is a never ending journey..

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by daniel_lkk View Post
    The auto function is only helpful but not by a lot. If all you do is just follow the exif of auto functions, then why bother with manual, aperture or shutter priority. There is so much more than just clicking and viewing exif. Reading is key. Even if you were to join classes (which I strongly recommend), you still need to have a rough idea on what is being taught. Reading will give you the theory and classes will give you practical. Both goes hand in hand. Same like Chemistry or Biology class. Theory is just head knowledge but pair it with practical, you will actually see how things work. People often ask me photography related questions and ask me to bring them out but I always ask them to read up first and learn the basics of photography such as how aperture works, what shutter speed, ideal ISO bla bla bla. Each of these are correlated to each. Know how they work and then you have the basic fundamentals. The subject of composition will follow suit. The internet is your best friend if you do not want to buy any books. Just a simple google search will do.
    This is by far, the best comment/advice..thank you.

Just curious, meaning you guys know exactly what to adjust in each situation?

Thanks

Exposure is the most basic thing to learn during the film era,there are no preview and no delete button on the camera in my early photography age,either I get it or I don't get it,no delete and take again.
    Call me super gear head

Thanks

I think you got to understand all the basic aspect of photography... aperture, shutter speed, ISO, the photography jargon/terminalogy, how does the metering works and familiarised yourself with your camera in and out. Keep on reading books, internet, magazine, observed other people pictures, go to TT, register yourself in seminars/workshop, be a slave to a master photographer....then learn the art of composition. That is how i learnt photography yet i'm still a newbie... the learning process doesn't stop..IMHO

Thanks

Additional tips.. always bring your camera with you to the office, weekend outing with family/girlfriend, at night etc... keep shooting, use different setting and see how the images come out...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mihar1975 View Post
    Additional tips.. always bring your camera with you to the office, weekend outing with family/girlfriend, at night etc... keep shooting, use different setting and see how the images come out...
    Haha, I'm bringing my camera wherever I goes (of course without the tripod and external flash, just lense+camera), but not to the office (my office doesn't allow camera). Gee..if I were born in the film era; I've no idea how many roll of films I will put to waste.

Thanks

I know some sifus would disagree with me, but there are no correct or wrong ways to shoot.

I normally shoot in Av or M mode, occasionally Tv mode. I am comfortable with them. However, in my recent trip to Hong Kong, I shot most of the family pictures in P mode (with Auto ISO). My family members wouldn't wait for me to adjust camera settings. Speed was the key...

But if you want to improve your skills, it is certainly good to go beyond Auto (or P) mode...
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/kamera-otoko

Thanks

Can anybody suggest a really good book for photography.
    EOS 7D & G12 OWNER | Events, Travels & Underwater

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by akuhaibar View Post
    Can anybody suggest a really good book for photography.
    I dont buy books I buy DCM Digital Camera Magazine. Rm9 each.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Adrian_Loo For This Useful Post:

rapinsoul (09-01-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by backpacker View Post
    I know some sifus would disagree with me, but there are no correct or wrong ways to shoot.

I normally shoot in Av or M mode, occasionally Tv mode. I am comfortable with them. However, in my recent trip to Hong Kong, I shot most of the family pictures in P mode (with Auto ISO). My family members wouldn't wait for me to adjust camera settings. Speed was the key...

But if you want to improve your skills, it is certainly good to go beyond Auto (or P) mode...
    Use auto or no flash mode is way better than P. try it

Thanks

For me, most of my knowledge comes from reading....book, magazine and internet references! Plus some tips from friends who has the experience... one thing that I learn when go traveling, speed is the key! Especially you travel in group. For me, before go travel, do some study on the location you want visit first, then decide what you want to photograph!
    http://rudyizhwandy.com

Thanks

Oh you can also download photography tutorials on iTunes podcasts for free.

Thanks

well.. agree on learn by books!!

seriously, sometimes u find a new techniques in book or whatever magazines about photog...
    i do sometimes found a techniques that i dont know before..

and dont forget to read the camera's manual guide/user.. it really helpful!!

p/s: or perhaps u can watch youtube on tips n trick.. but i prefer books...

btw, welcome to photography!

Thanks

well.. the books will tell you what are the apertures, shutter speed, ISO and what difference does it gives you if set differently.
    Then u can start buying some magazine with plenty of examples and setting of the photo shown.
    From there it's trial and error.... It's also a time to kindle the feelings with ur DSLR... to know how it behave..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information