Thread: Why Photographers Need to Upgrade Their iPads

Taipei, Taiwan or Los Angeles, California
    Thanks

Cool Why Photographers Need to Upgrade Their iPads

Advertise here
    photomalaysia@gmail.com

I'm going to start with a preemptive "No, not because the iPad 2 has a camera." because, let's face it, the camera in the iPad is crap. You're better off using the camera in your phone in a pinch if just for awkward hold-ability reasons. And I guess I should also clearly state that it's not because the screen is better. The iPad 2 retains the same 720p resolution display with 'magical' oliophobic coating that 'magically' exaggerates finger marks. Now that that's out of the way, let's begin at the beginning.

What the Original iPad Did for Photographers
    Prior to the iPad's introduction last spring it was ridiculed for not having a specific use case. However, after seeing how their images glowed on the bright 9.7" screen, photographers quickly grasped on to it as a portfolio device. There are even apps for those photographers high-end enough to afford to send new iPads as portfolios to prospective clients. Over time image-editing apps entered the AppStore, first with very simple functionality, such as cropping, or with cheesy Hipstamatic-like filters. These have evolved over the last year-and-a-half to rival many mainstream desktop image editing applications. Applying edits, enhancements, and filters with one's fingertips "directly" onto an image works pretty well. With the Camera Connection Kit, a more natural touch interface, and an always-connected platform, the iPad is actually preferable by many photographers looking to do quick edits and posting to their website, Flickr, etc..*

Unfortunately, hardware and OS limits hinder the iPad's use as a serious image-editing tool. iOS has changed somewhat making things a little better. The maximum image save resolution in iOS 5 is now 12MP, up from 7.5MP in previous versions of the operating system. But, the OS is still limited by the hardware. This is where the biggest improvements of the iPad 2 come in.

iPad 2 as a Serious Photographic Tool
    The biggest hindrance with regard to large image editing on the first iPad and the source of many an app crash is the measly 256MB of RAM. Yep, that's less than even the cheapest Android phone has nowadays. This is offset a little by some dedicated graphics hardware, but in the end doesn't leave a lot of space to open and manipulate large images in. The iPad 2 not only doubles the size of this 'memory playground' but has even better hardware graphics acceleration (Apple claims the GPU is 9x faster). This translates to not only faster rendering of image edits but into that nasty 7.5MP (iOS 4)/12MP (iOS 5) limit being raised to 22MP. Considering that and some of the more advanced image editing apps available, I believe that the iPad 2 has arrived as a valid, viable professional photographers tool. Even with that crappy camera.

Did I Say 'Tool'? I Mean 'Swiss Army Knife'!
    There are some excellent image editing apps in the AppStore and I will get into those in some detail in future articles. I want to end this article with a list of apps that make the iPad even more useful to the photographer then just a photo-editing platform. All of these apps can be used on both the iPad and iPad 2. They'll just work faster and force-close less often on the latter.

Easy Release - This is a must-have app for any photographer wanting to sell their images commercially. It creates propery and model releases of many different types and in many different languages. The subject can sign the release right on the iPad and the completed document is then stored and available for access at any time. In addition, the completed form can be saved as a PDF and emailed to the subject directly from the app.

Strobox - This one is a little bit of a cheat. It's actually an iPhone app, but it upscales well enough to fit the iPad screen. Strobox is something that should be on every studio photographer's iPad. Basically, it allows you to visually plan out subject and lighting placements.

I hope these guys are working on an iPad version.

Softbox Pro - need lighting on the go? This app turns your iPad into a softbox, including customizable grids, shapes, and colors (a-la gels). It's cheap (sometimes on sale for free) and easier to fit in your bag then a lighting kit. Of course, even with the brightness on your iPad turned all the way up it comes no where near the brightness of an actual flash and you'll need someone to hold the iPad close to your subject, but it's still pretty nifty.

Foliobook - Of all the 'iPad-as-portfolio' apps, this one is is the most mature. You can create simple, linear slideshows or more advanced, menu-driven presentations. It also locks your client out of the rest of the iPad, something typically overlooked in other slideshow apps.

Photosmith - Do you like Adobe Lightroom? This is Lightroom on your iPad. That's not hyperbole. It takes images imported into the iPad via the Camera Connection Kit and allows you to tag them, rate them, keyword them, create collections, and edit their metadata. Through a Lightroom plugin, the next time you're on your wifi network, you can synch/export all the images (RAW & JPEG) and their data to the copy of Lightroom running on your workstation.

That's all you need to plan, edit, display, deliver, and archive your photography. And play Angry Birds. What's the point in the space and weight of a notebook computer, especially with the hardware improvements in the iPad 2?

Original article on the Photojazz blog.
    Buy my art

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Re: Why Photographers Need to Upgrade Their iPads

You forgot to add that the ipad2 can be used as a large format camera.....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by maxby View Post
    You forgot to add that the ipad2 can be used as a large format camera.....
    I *wish*. The resolution on the back camera is only 720p! The front camera is VGA. There are some people I know that use the iPad as a viewfinder, though...they somehow hook the digital backs on their MF cameras to an iPad.
    Buy my art

Thanks

Portfolio and viewing picture straight away without a computer. iPad camera is crap.
    Photography is a never ending journey..

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian_Loo View Post
    Portfolio and viewing picture straight away without a computer. iPad camera is crap.
    With the iPad 2 support for editing RAW images up to 22MP and some good image editing apps like Photoforge 2 and Photogene, it makes a very good post-processing platform, too. That was kinda the main point of the article, that the iPad has gone from being just a viewer to a professional-level editor and support tool.
    Buy my art

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    With the iPad 2 support for editing RAW images up to 22MP and some good image editing apps like Photoforge 2 and Photogene, it makes a very good post-processing platform, too. That was kinda the main point of the article, that the iPad has gone from being just a viewer to a professional-level editor and support tool.
    Cant afford those apps. I have no credit / debit card

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian_Loo View Post
    Cant afford those apps. I have no credit / debit card
    I have my family in the States send me iTunes cards for my birthday.
    Buy my art

Thanks

Wah. Eh bro christmas coming soon want send me some?

Thanks

Upgrade IPAD as in getting more apps? haha I guess just to get some comparison and find out which one is the best among all ? I think the apps is created continuously every now and then ~~ new updates will be available quite frequent at some time ~ so passionate IPAD + Photo Lovers~ will tend to keep going for new updates for this ~ IPAD has good editing software but still the camera isn't a good one ~ sometimes I'll try to put in pictures I took using a DSLR or compact digital cam, just to edit using the IPAD apps ~ haha, IPAD's camera can be used under sufficient light, but when it comes to dark ~ the picture quality it produce is useless~

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lrockm View Post
    Upgrade IPAD as in getting more apps? haha I guess just to get some comparison and find out which one is the best among all ? I think the apps is created continuously every now and then ~~ new updates will be available quite frequent at some time ~ so passionate IPAD + Photo Lovers~ will tend to keep going for new updates for this ~ IPAD has good editing software but still the camera isn't a good one ~ sometimes I'll try to put in pictures I took using a DSLR or compact digital cam, just to edit using the IPAD apps ~ haha, IPAD's camera can be used under sufficient light, but when it comes to dark ~ the picture quality it produce is useless~
    how random...stream of coniousness writing is very difficult to read. It's rambling.
    Buy my art

Thanks

hanks for your sharing !! it's really useful!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    I *wish*. The resolution on the back camera is only 720p! The front camera is VGA. There are some people I know that use the iPad as a viewfinder, though...they somehow hook the digital backs on their MF cameras to an iPad.
    Both the current Leaf and Phase One backs can display previews on either iPad, iPhone or iPods via bluetooth BUT, this is only when shooting tethered. The idea is that a client can be sitting a little removed from the photographer and see images as they are shot. The interface also allows the viewer on the remote "i" device to tag the images as they appear, thus vastly speeding up image shortlisting later. As a pro shooter, I hate having my client either peering over my shoulder or hovering over my main shoot screen, so this has been a huge blessing.

Thanks

My ipad mini can also support tiff files, maybe something not new to most! I am not a technology nerd!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by marc View Post
    My ipad mini can also support tiff files, maybe something not new to most! I am not a technology nerd!
    It's the software (iOS 6), not the hardware. So, the iPod Touch, iPhone, iPad Mini, and iPad should all be able to support these image file types.

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner
    Buy my art

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by siebel View Post
    Both the current Leaf and Phase One backs can display previews on either iPad, iPhone or iPods via bluetooth BUT, this is only when shooting tethered. The idea is that a client can be sitting a little removed from the photographer and see images as they are shot. The interface also allows the viewer on the remote "i" device to tag the images as they appear, thus vastly speeding up image shortlisting later. As a pro shooter, I hate having my client either peering over my shoulder or hovering over my main shoot screen, so this has been a huge blessing.
    And yet most pro's using C1 or anything like it, use their main screen as the ipad is not really an added value. (Unless you are using its functionality such as you explain). How nice would it be if you can use the DB in the field and see the preview on the ipad instead of the LCD screen, knowing that the DB screen is not exactly top notch quality. Ah, not a market for it I guess ....

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pointblank View Post

And yet most pro's using C1 or anything like it, use their main screen as the ipad is not really an added value. (Unless you are using its functionality such as you explain). How nice would it be if you can use the DB in the field and see the preview on the ipad instead of the LCD screen, knowing that the DB screen is not exactly top notch quality. Ah, not a market for it I guess ....
    I'm not sure about Leaf, but spending US$200 on a Nexus 7 (which has retina-level resolution) and a bit of Android software will get you live viewing and shot/mode/etc controls for a Canon.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...dslrcontroller

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner
    Buy my art

Thread Information