Thread: Theory vs Practical

Thanks

Theory vs Practical

Advertise here
    photomalaysia@gmail.com

I've read a lot, in fact I prepared a lot to shoot landscape outdoor. One of the thing I wanted to try so much is the 'milky' effect.
    Basically, this is how I work it out, longer shutter speed then adjust the ISO and aperture to balance the photo. Of course with a tripod. But since the sky is a bit cloudy, I think I can shoot without any filter.

After a few shot, I realize it's overexposed, I put in a ND8 filter and with f22 and ISO 100, I manage to get 1" of shutter speed. Yet, the 'milky' effect is not obvious. I even attach a CPL on ND8 to further reduce the light getting into the camera sensor (correct me if this method don't work) and somehow I manage to get 1.3" of shutter speed, but it doesn't work well too cause with CPL you kind of see thru into the water, so the wavy is transparent and somehow 'milky' effect is gone.

I sit there thinking for a while, in the end I blame it to my ND8 filter, a 3 stop is not strong enough? Do it need a strong wave for milky effect? Or will it be different if I adjust the exposure compensation (only think of that after reach home)?

In the end, I give up trying for that 'milky' effect today! Help please sifu!

Thanks

Re: Theory vs Practical

I never shot with the ND or CPL filter, since CPL cuts through the water, so, dont use the CPL and use more stop ND filter

Thanks

You need to stop the light more and hence an ND400 (9/10 stops) filter is required for what you desire. This too will allow you to settle for a more convenient aperture such as f/11 to get a good trade off on depth of field and sharpness at the same time. Do realize that creamy water alone will not make the picture, composition and light need to be present to get the best out of it.

Thanks

A CPL will cut around 1.5 - 2 stops. Lets make it 2 stops to be safe.

So your exposure should be around 4 seconds.
    http://danishfairoz.blogspot.com/

Thanks

According to what you said, you're probably shooting in very bright light, hence you couldn't get a longer shutter speed. Try shooting in the evening. Understand the limitations of equipment and light.

Regards, Ralverd
    www.Ray-Lim.com

Thanks

If it was a very bright light, then I know what's goes wrong. But it was a cloudy day and yet most of my shots were overexposed.
    ND8 is a 3 stops, and CPL is a 2?
    Then it would be 5 stops right, 4 sec won't be a problem, but anything more than 2 already white screen. Haih...

Thanks

a picture from the shooting might help some of us to give u better advice

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fantagero View Post
    a picture from the shooting might help some of us to give u better advice
    He managed to get a 1 second shutter speed out of it which is still too fast to create the effect and the above comments tell how to further slow down the shutter speed. What is it that you don't understand and need a picture for?

Below image was shot a bit over 20 seconds, if the wind is strong enough you get the clouds streaking effect along with the water effect. Shooting this with a 1 second shutter speed will not be slow enough to get anything near this result.

I shot some waterscapes again in Penang last week and can have already a similar effect like the above with a shutter speed around 8 seconds.

_DSC2592 - 5.jpg

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pointblank View Post
    He managed to get a 1 second shutter speed out of it which is still too fast to create the effect and the above comments tell how to further slow down the shutter speed. What is it that you don't understand and need a picture for?

_DSC2592 - 5.jpg
    As i said, a picture will help some of us give a better advice.

and what's wrong with suggesting posting the picture in case? it usually helps to understand more of the difficulties.
    probably the location not very suitable to do long exposure, IE, mild river vs waterfall current vs beach
    probably the time is not suitable,

anyway, threadstarter, the longer the shutter, the milkier the effect, but dont overdo it
    how to get longer exposure without overexposing the picture, timing.
    if you do it in the mid day, you probably should just get in the water and swim, wait for the golden hour.

Thanks

Golden hour is the best time to shoot, I see. What is the golden hour in M'sia generally?

Thanks

TS, if you are struggling to get images in the correct exposure, then your Theory is still not enough.
    My Works: facebook.com/albertlimphotography

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ShrugsLova View Post
    Golden hour is the best time to shoot, I see. What is the golden hour in M'sia generally?
    Are you living here? It's everyday troughout the year between 7 and 8.

Thread Information