Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: D700 design flaw?

Thanks

Re: D700 design flaw?

Advertise here
    photomalaysia@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by bigaperture View Post
    I will let you know if I want to sell it cheap but please do not disturb this thread if you do not have any constructive comments to share.

Thanks

Many manufacturers are set up to kill you when it comes to spare parts n repairs. Shutter gone on my Canon prosumer camera that cost RM1.6k, quote was RM500+ ...even the service guy told me, "Better you buy new camera..."

Went to look for a stylus for my wife's Nokia 5800 phone ...RM70! I remember HTC used to charge around RM30 ..

They don't make products to last a lifetime these days, that would put them out of business. You either buy new one or pay a lot to repair old one ...

Thanks

I have been a nikon user since film days and have been using few DSLR bodies. Nikon has always been satisfying me with their reliable products so it is hard to believe that they design some parts to fail. Probably there is no issue with the D700 design, may be because the engineer wants to make their life easy by just replacing the rubber instead of re-use them? Just my wild guess
    Don't think they 'designed' it to fail. I believe the rubbers serve dual purpose, first a comfortable grip, the other as body seal. The second being more critical as the sealing function plays a important factor to the lifespan of the internal electronics. High humidity and moisture will damage internal parts.
    Once removed, the rubber will probably loose it elasticity nad posssibly its sealing original sealing capabilities.
    There's also the marketing tactics trying to charge more than neccesary

Thanks

Many things which are catered to a premium class may seem affordable but many also forget the maintenance/servicing cost behind it, which is why they were catered to that class from the start. Try owning an Alfa Romeo or a BMW. They appear cheap and affordable to many but when the electronics or the car itself fails, I wish you all the best. The reason why the rubber is so unforgiving is because Nikon made the D700 weather proof. How much faith would you have in it if the rubber can be easily peeled off and glued together? I would have my doubts. The rubber of the camera is not designed to stretch. The structural integrity would not be there anymore. The earlier analogy of the pistons replacement is very apt because the inside of the engine bay is also somewhat "weather proof". Rather than whine about it, you should have faith that the camera was indeed built to withstand abuse. In my university days, I use to play in band a lot. The capacitors in my guitar multi effects pedal blew and I ended up paying half the price of the pedal to get it fixed. It was painful financially but I know it had to be done and it was done by the best so that I will get the best out of it.

Secondly you can call it a marketing gimmick/con job/whatever it is you want but Nikon is running a business here. They are not running a charitable organization. The point of a business is to make money and obviously they will try their best to make as much as possible. The need the cash flow and there's only so may new cameras they can sell. You buy a camera and a set of lenses and you don't purchase anything from them for next 5-7 years. Worst still most of us buy used equipments so who's the real repeating customers? Can't blame them. If you're lucky, they will do it for free. If not, then just pay whatever is due. I stress that I DO NOT work for Nikon
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/beautiful_oblivion/

Thanks

my hypothesis is,... it's the same situation with canon ... perhaps even more expensive. Anyone can prove my hypothesis right?

Thanks

so in that case... whenever you send ur D700 for repair that requires them to open the rubber, you should change all the parts in there so that u wont have to come back anytime soon.
    www.ystingphotography.com

Thanks

Found these 2 images, looks like the rubbers are really meant for the weather sealing.

D700_Sealed_front_l.jpg
    D700_Sealed_back_l.jpg

Thanks

I have been a nikon user since film days and have been using few DSLR bodies. Nikon has always been satisfying me with their reliable products so it is hard to believe that they design some parts to fail. Probably there is no issue with the D700 design, may be because the engineer wants to make their life easy by just replacing the rubber instead of re-use them? Just my wild guess
    Maybe yes maybe no... Nikon will know the best...
    But then how long you use your film cameras and the D700? How you use it also matters.

Thanks

I will let you know if I want to sell it cheap but please do not disturb this thread if you do not have any constructive comments to share.
    Ok boss, Sorry boss and bye-bye.
    But before I go i have this to say about your title, it should not be called a "design flaw".
    A design flaw is something that malfunction unexpectedly render it useless and occur frequently in large number like more than 3 out of 10 cameras. What you've described doesn't cause any malfunction. Just because a few buttons/seals require replacement after they open it are being called a design flaw is an over kill!
    Call it an expensive service, unnecessary replacement, etc... you figure it out to make sense and suit your constructive comments but "Design Flaw" is not it.

cheers and have a nice day.

Thanks

Bro, You are comparing a 6k products with a 300k product. But that is not the point I want to discuss here. It is more like a car designed to replace the bonnet whenever the mechanic need to change the engine parts.

It is not about the ability to pay for the services, it is the design flaw (in my opinion) of the camera that need you to pay extra money for nothing. Imaging that if you send in your camera to repair today and get the rubber changed. Then another small/cheap body part damaged in few days/weeks, you got to replace the brand new rubber again?
    Same with my 6k Swiss watch. Each time it is opened up, the rubber seal has to be replaced. Does that make a better comparison? My point is D700 is a high end model in the Nikon stable. The only next higher model is the D3. Expect to pay premium price when servicing it
    Last edited by ahmadabhamid; 02-03-2012 at 11:47 PM.

Thanks

I think the best is to ask for a quote first before sending in for repair. Always ask in detail esp for pricing. Sometimes, it could also due to improper dismantling by technician causing the part not useable, thus they bill on the customer. This happens all the time when i send my car for repairs...

Thanks

the rubbers are a one time off usage only, this is due to the adhesive properties of both the magnesium and rubber.

the rubbers are not ordinary rubbers, it is a thermocoupled moulded thingy-or something like that, that rssist moisture and oil, so the adhesive material has to be heated on the rubber, then placed to the body.

the rubbers come ready with adhesive from the factory, there are oem/imitation ones but the adhesive are not the ones that will stick to the body for long- there's a seller on ebay sells therubbers 30% off original price.

only way to re-use the rubber is to clean all of the adhesive, heat the rubber then place the special adhesive from 3M , then clean the body, and paste ithe rubbers back to the body. i dont think the technician will bother doing all of these, they will probably do it for those under warranty, but those after warranty,better slap on a new rubber and slap you with a RM400 bill to it, after all its a D700, if you can afford it, sure you can afford to maintain it rite? ( typical mentality of if you can afford premium stuff, you can afford to pay premium price for maintenance ! )

i'm gonna buy 2 sets of rubbers for my D300s and keep it till it melts.....!!

Thanks

It uses rubber because it is necessary. Do you want the body to be covered with bubbles or styrofoam?
    http://www.raais.com/

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FXtom View Post
    I think the best is to ask for a quote first before sending in for repair. Always ask in detail esp for pricing. Sometimes, it could also due to improper dismantling by technician causing the part not useable, thus they bill on the customer. This happens all the time when i send my car for repairs...
    I called NSC and ask for a quotation for replacing D700 shutter unit. The lady who attended to my call asked me to bring my camera to check before they can give me a quotation. I told her I just want to know what is the cost to replace a shutter unit on D700 and my D700 shutter is not having problem at the moment. However, she keep asking me to send in to check, they can't give quotation without checking camera. In another word, you won't be able to know what is the repair cost until your camera is faulty. I gave up

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ojtee View Post
    only way to re-use the rubber is to clean all of the adhesive, heat the rubber then place the special adhesive from 3M , then clean the body, and paste ithe rubbers back to the body. i dont think the technician will bother doing all of these, they will probably do it for those under warranty, but those after warranty,better slap on a new rubber and slap you with a RM400 bill to it, after all its a D700, if you can afford it, sure you can afford to maintain it rite? ( typical mentality of if you can afford premium stuff, you can afford to pay premium price for maintenance ! )

i'm gonna buy 2 sets of rubbers for my D300s and keep it till it melts.....!!
    That is the problem here. Why they re-use the rubber for camera under warranty and replace the rubber for camera out of warranty? In this case, replacing a rubber is not a must. It is cheating customer

Thanks

Is wrong to say like this... If were to blame, blame the market don't have much people want to do camera service....
    This is just to let Nikon knows, their customers has rights also...
    Last edited by kyheng; 04-03-2012 at 04:56 PM.

Thanks

http://tonycorrea.com/blog/2011/04/n...p-replacement/

Interesting, there is huge different in DIY & NSC service. USD13 ~ RM40 (cost of the rubber) and RM400 (rubber+service) from NSC.

"Update: You can also order replacement parts directly from Nikon by contacting their Product Service & Repair Department. The front rubber grip (D700-1F998-684) runs about $13 plus tax and shipping. You can see a list of part numbers here"

Thanks

You may consider tribunal court if you still feel the cost are too high....

Thanks

I called NSC and ask for a quotation for replacing D700 shutter unit. The lady who attended to my call asked me to bring my camera to check before they can give me a quotation. I told her I just want to know what is the cost to replace a shutter unit on D700 and my D700 shutter is not having problem at the moment. However, she keep asking me to send in to check, they can't give quotation without checking camera. In another word, you won't be able to know what is the repair cost until your camera is faulty. I gave up
    when you send in camera to check how much it cost to do this and that, you will be charged rm20 ( i think) .
    if you decide to go ahead, the rm20 will be deducted from the bill, if you decide not to do anything, you have to pay rm20....get it? they will never tell you how much repair cost for changing parts over the phone- but you can try until nikon makes a D10....hopefully you will get an answer by then!

this is one of the ways they make money....
    Last edited by ojtee; 04-03-2012 at 05:58 PM.

Thanks

That is the problem here. Why they re-use the rubber for camera under warranty and replace the rubber for camera out of warranty? In this case, replacing a rubber is not a must. It is cheating customer
    it is just an assumption as it is quite difficult to re-use the rubber, it is possible but they will have to go through alot of steps and trouble. if under warranty, i am sure you won't be able to see the paerts changed as they have to report it back to thier hq and have proof they changed it. For out of warranty owners, they can change all they want and charge the customers all they want.

if we users complain and voice this dissatisfaction out, maybe, just maybe they would change their policy, but i bet the rm400 to change the rubbers remain. i think they do call up the customers to let them know of how much it cost before they proceed, you, as a customer can still negotiate and enquire about the serice and parts that will be changed before procedding. but if the cost agreed upon and final cost is totally diffifferent, then it can be called as cheating the customer, and in this case a tribunal court should be able to resolve the issue

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information