Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cheapskates

Thanks

Cheapskates

Advertise here
    photomalaysia@gmail.com

Today my mom friend told her she needs someone to take pictures for her during her bday party. My mom smart smart promise her that I would do it for free! The problem is ,
    1) I dont even know the person and why should I do it for free? Because my mom told me to? No way, you want my service, pay
    2) im risking my gear by taking pictures by the pool , its dark , floor is wet i might slip and fall in. There will be a crowd attending the party. My camera goes swimming im screwed.
    3) (biggest problem) I dont got no studio lights to illuminate my shots. In risk of slow shutter speed and will end up in blur shots. My mom wants me to rent the equipment with my own cash. So damn not worthit. U no pay me you want me rent equipment that will cost me hundreds?
    4) and the most potong part is , I ask my mom to pay me, she says, its good experience for you to practise! You are lucky people let you shoot their event.
    5) why should I waste my time at some random persons bday party on 31 March taking pics , editing , puting pics in a Dvd? I rather spend my day at Baskin robins eating icecream with 31% diskaun

I have made up my mind not to shoot. Wasting my time , $ , and shutter count.
    How would you react of you were in this situation? let me know in the comments below.
    Photography is a never ending journey..

Thanks

Re: Cheapskates

If my mum were to ask me to shoot her friend's party for free, i'd do it. Why? Because she's my mum.

And I can build up my portfolio.
    http://danishfairoz.blogspot.com/

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I suspect its not about risking your equipment or you not getting paid. Your bye-line says you are not a photographer. So I think the truth is that you have no confidence, and you are scared you'd screw the job. Even if you were to rent lights and your mom paid you for it, do you know how to use them?
    But assuming you are good, and you know how to use the lights, didn't you ever consider that your beautiful pictures might be good advertistment for future paid jobs? Supposing your pictures are good, and your mom's friend's daughter is getting married, I'm sure you'll be the first photographer that comes to her mind. You should go and listen to Saifulnang's rags to royal photographer story. He hit his first million from photography in his 27th month after deciding to become a photographer. In the first few months he shot for nothing, even paying for his own expenses to shoot weddings of Malaysians in Bali, so that he could state in his resume that he had done foreign weddings, and the pictures he shot in Bali became part of his marketing tools. And from those early free shoots, because he was good, friends of people he shot were recommending him to their friends. And because he was good, friends of those friends passed the word around too. His appointment book was getting nicely filled. And one day he got a call from a Malaysian girl who was impressed enough with his work at her friend's wedding that she wanted him to shoot her wedding in Brunei. Saifulnang didn't know it until the day before the wedding. She was going to marry the Sultan. The rest is history.
    So dont muck around. If you dont want to shoot because you're scared you cant deliver, just say to your mom you are not good enough, admit it to yourself and take steps to make yourself good. If you are confident you can pull it off, go ahead and do it. The experience and the exposure would be valuable. If you are good, and you are confident that you can deliver good pictures, listen to your mom, grab the opportunity, and who knows, you might become another Royal photographer like Saifulnang. Saifulnang is an excellent wedding photographer, otherwise he wouldn't be a Royal wedding photographer. But lots of people here, for their own reasons, didn't like him very much, so that made it untenable for him to remain here to share his expertise with people like yourself. Learn from his rags to Royal photographer story.
    Last edited by digitalartist; 07-03-2012 at 01:27 AM.
    Yusuf Hashim

Thanks

Well if it's your thing, why not? A good birthday coverage is challenging (i.e. good fun) and if done well would give you useful material for an event-related portfolio. Then again if you're not keen, why bother? If I was in your shoes I would have weighed up the pros and cons, then make a decision. Likewise, you can tell your mom's friend that you could shoot for free, but that she is free to pay you if she likes/appreciates your work - most likely you'll end up getting an 'angpau' as a token of appreciation.

Regards, Ralverd
    www.Ray-Lim.com

Thanks

I still prefer being an asistant photographer at some wedding than taking this bdy party... I dunno why

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian_Loo View Post
    I still prefer being an asistant photographer at some wedding than taking this bdy party... I dunno why
    Then go be one. Find a wedding photographer you want to work with and email him/her.

Regards, Ralverd
    www.Ray-Lim.com

Thanks

this statement proved DA right. I do feel the same way, you do not have enough confidence. But my advice if to take that b'day thing for free. why?

1) ur mom believes in u and she is helping u to widen up ur network. (there're so many mothers there that might need ur service soon)
    2) if ur mom tells her friend that u want payment, and if ur pictures turn out to be ****, embarrassment will hit ur mom harder than u.
    3) if you have the confidence and u know ur pictures are going to be good, then rent the lightings u need. Take it as an investment, once ur pictures are out, these mother's will share those photos. and next time they ask for ur service, u can ask for payment cuz they know what they are paying for.
    www.ystingphotography.com

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by poopeson View Post
    this statement proved DA right. I do feel the same way, you do not have enough confidence. But my advice if to take that b'day thing for free. why?

1) ur mom believes in u and she is helping u to widen up ur network. (there're so many mothers there that might need ur service soon)
    2) if ur mom tells her friend that u want payment, and if ur pictures turn out to be ****, embarrassment will hit ur mom harder than u.
    3) if you have the confidence and u know ur pictures are going to be good, then rent the lightings u need. Take it as an investment, once ur pictures are out, these mother's will share those photos. and next time they ask for ur service, u can ask for payment cuz they know what they are paying for.
    Wow.. Your comment made me change my mind.

Thanks

Adrian, I was once in your shoes. DA and poopeson are wise in their comments. It is your confidence that you need to take a close look. Are you a photographer? If not, do you want to be a photographer. Every time you go to a shoot there is always risks, some are manageable and some are unforeseen problems. We all have to deal with it. I have shot several free weddings, events and portraits sessions. They make good practice but also makes good portfolios. A couple of years ago, I decided to go back into portrait photography to make a few extra bucks for my gears and also I enjoy making good photos of children for the parents or grandparents. Best way to get notice, I spend two session taking my friend's kids photo and family photo. He allowed me to put in on my facebook and he also posted on his facebook. Talked about the power of free advertising especially word of mouth and also a picture is worth a thousand words. I am booked several months in advance. I have a full time job in IT, so I can only do so much but I have 5 shoots that have been booked several months ago because they are willing to wait for my shots. One free job was all it takes to jump start my love for family/children portrait photography. Haven't looked back since. Take the opportunity and go with it, that is if you have the guts/confidence. Best regards and don't waste the opportunity when it knocks on your door. There is always risks but without trying there is no rewards.

Thanks

Wow.. Your comment made me change my mind.
    im glad adrian take care
    www.ystingphotography.com

Thanks

It depends on how you look at it. All the comments given is valid in many sense especially if you are starting out or about to start out.

I still do charity shoots for people but they have to qualify themselves, ie: for charity events, fundraising and such..... (The cause of the event also have to be taken into consideration as well.)

Then again, if its mum.................

You go figure it out and give an appropriate answer to her.
    Saya Ipoh Mali...jom pergi tengok jetfynn.com

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by poopeson View Post

good points!!!

Thanks

"I have made up my mind not to shoot. Wasting my time , $ , and shutter count.
    How would you react of you were in this situation? let me know in the comments below. "

Are you very occupied? Is spare time hard to find? Is it really wasting your time?
    Are you buying new equipments to shoot? Do you have to travel far for it? Is it really wasting money?
    Is your shutter count at 250,000? Will the additional shutter count cause your camera to fail? Are you really wasting shutter count?

If photography is indeed your hobby and you intend to do it for a living one day, take this as a stepping stone. Living in this world and making it big takes a lot of sacrifice. Doing this for free may not necessarily be a bad thing. As many has explained and testified above, take it as free marketing. Be optimistic about it rather than being negative. This is practice in the real world. You can even get feedbacks and work from there. For all you know you might shoot even better since your mind is free and you don't have to stress/worry about the consequences of not living up to expectations/pyament. I'm sure you'll do well as long as you put your heart to it. Most importantly listen to your mom. I'm a grown up working man and I still listen to her just like when I was 8 years old because in her eyes, you'll always be her 8 year old
    All the best!!!!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/beautiful_oblivion/

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by daniel_lkk View Post
    "I have made up my mind not to shoot. Wasting my time , $ , and shutter count.
    How would you react of you were in this situation? let me know in the comments below. "

Are you very occupied? Is spare time hard to find? Is it really wasting your time?
    Are you buying new equipments to shoot? Do you have to travel far for it? Is it really wasting money?
    Is your shutter count at 250,000? Will the additional shutter count cause your camera to fail? Are you really wasting shutter count?

If photography is indeed your hobby and you intend to do it for a living one day, take this as a stepping stone. Living in this world and making it big takes a lot of sacrifice. Doing this for free may not necessarily be a bad thing. As many has explained and testified above, take it as free marketing. Be optimistic about it rather than being negative. This is practice in the real world. You can even get feedbacks and work from there. For all you know you might shoot even better since your mind is free and you don't have to stress/worry about the consequences of not living up to expectations/pyament. I'm sure you'll do well as long as you put your heart to it. Most importantly listen to your mom. I'm a grown up working man and I still listen to her just like when I was 8 years old because in her eyes, you'll always be her 8 year old
    All the best!!!!

Thanks for your comment daniel. It helps

Thanks

Hi i'm new here, it seems that this forum people's are very friendly and encouraging. and gives alot of wise words.

Just keep shooting mate. Let the photo satisfy yourself but not the money.

Thanks

I've done lots of shoots for free. You think your mum volunteering your service for free is tough? Wait till your wife does it! Haha. I agree with most of the advice here. If you really dislike your 'client' and really want them to pay, emblazon your logo/name across all your photos and let them know prints are available (without logo of course) for a fee.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chinks View Post
    I've done lots of shoots for free. You think your mum volunteering your service for free is tough? Wait till your wife does it! Haha. I agree with most of the advice here. If you really dislike your 'client' and really want them to pay, emblazon your logo/name across all your photos and let them know prints are available (without logo of course) for a fee.
    Good idea... Watermark all the pics. Never tought of that

*Update*
    The person im supposed to shoot for is a jewish couple...

Thanks

shutter count is that really matter man... I never think is important.

DA (Yusuf) and maxby will tell you that Camera is just equipment only. No need to sayang so much.

I think is good learning opportunity. If u don't shoot u don't know is good or bad if don't know then u never learn.

I'm doing FREE work for my company also... shooting event for them. I've learn while i'm doing it... about my equipment and shooting in different environment.

if you doing for money then u must delivery! if not customer will never come look for u again. At least now u got chance to learn.

I dont mind to shoot for other things for free... GO for it!!!
    www.flickr.com/photos/thephotographerml/sets/

Thanks

I think its a good way to boost up your skills in such hazardous place.. photographers risk their lives just to take their perfect shot ...

First thing you can boost your reputation.

Take it up positively :

- if your shots are nice, your mum's friend might become your advertisement ~~
    - you get boost up sales ~~
    - brush up your skills

anybody here watch the midnight meat train ?
    nice movie .. shows how a photographer risk his life just to take his perfect shot~~ although the ending is quite insane .. but yeah, it just show how insane us photographers are ~~

haha

Thanks

Adrian,
    I started doing photography as a full time business about a year ago. Personally, I don't mind shooting for free if I feel there is marketing value in the job. If there are costs involved such as prints, albums etc. the client will cover it. But in the rare occasion where I feel the potential advertising value is VERY high I have absorbed some costs and write it off as marketing expense. But there must be a good reason for doing it. Doing everything that comes your way for free is also insane. But you know..when it is your MOM/WIFE/DAD/SIS/BRO that asks well...more than finances come into play. My personal policy in this regard, if they are my immediate family members I entertain their requests, but distant relatives, friends etc., I look at the business sense of things before deciding.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information