Thread: Thinking of M8

Thanks

Thinking of M8

Advertise here
    photomalaysia@gmail.com

Guys,

I am pretty bored of Bulky camera, thinking of something real fun! I am kinda keen into a street photography and Love the Range Finer system on a M. Can't really afford a M9, is a M8 still a good take despite having huge competition from Xpro1 and NEX?

Appreciate your good comment on this.
    Please support: http://heeweiyew.blogspot.com/

Thanks

Re: Thinking of M8

If you like the rangefinder system, you simply can't go wrong with a Leica M body. The M8 is a pretty decent camera, albeit with a slow and crappy screen... and a poor sensor in terms of color tonality and ISO performance for the money. As with the M9 (which I owned for a while), the images are excellent only after some tweaking in Photoshop but the Leica glass does give you a different look to your images. The rangefinder way of shooting (focusing and framing) also takes some time before you get used to it, so be patient if you end up getting one. Personally I'll stick to a film M body anytime for the full rangefinder experience.

The NEX system is small and great (I have the NEX-5n) but the handling and feel doesn't even come remotely close to a rangefinder way of shooting and ends up feeling rather gimmicky. I don't know much about the Fuji X-Pro1 system but I reckon it probably is a cracking camera in many ways. I've tried it in a local shop and it's a very nice camera indeed. At the end of the day, all this depends on your needs and wants. The M8 = manual focus rangefinder, XPro1 = quick autofocus camera, NEX = capable small camera.

Regards, Ralverd
    www.Ray-Lim.com

Thanks

I have the M8, one of the earliest model and I struggle to get keepers. Only 20% of my photos are to my satisfaction. I also have the M8.2 and I found that better. Basically it's the ability to get the focus spot on which I cant seem to do with the M8 but can with the M8.2. Can't explain why.

The M9 is a different proposition all together. I find it's much easier to focus and I get keepers most of the time. My advise if you are hung up on Leica save a bit longer and get the M9.

If you have limited budget and like RF then get Fuji X Pro1. It's really good. I also have the X100 but that's slow and difficult to handle in changing exposure situations.

So if you want Leica quality and camera size and can't afford the M9, get the X Pro1.

Thanks

M8 are still a very nice camera, altho its old in age, but its sufficient for most of use (unless u are very particular on high ISO)

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/foru...=59274&page=36

reason why i still using partially due to M9 is still on high price, and i was using Sony NEX before that but you dun get the feeling of using rangefinder, the only "affordable" digital RF to get is still M8, mine is still going strong no issue
    I'm full time gear head, yes i am... :D

Thanks

save your money for M9, after the release of M10.

Thanks

I have the M8.2, i think you should go for the FF digital leica instead of a 1.3x crop sensor. If u get the M8 u will need the IR filter for your lens .

Thanks

I have an M8 which I am considering selling. I absolutely love it - but I can't handle the crop factor. I've taken many beautiful images with it and will stick to my M3 for now. The camera is in excellent condition, with only a very small mark above the LCD. PM me for further details.

Thread Information