There's so much poison in here, you'd almost believe Lynas found a new place to work
Wondering how many of you have actually tried using a lope behind the LCD of a camera & is going to like it?
Yes, it solved the LCD glaring problem, on the other hand, it brings in more inconveniences that is irritating. I actually own two of these lopes, One is permanently on 6x6 120 flim camera, the other is occasionally on my K5 LCD when using movie mode.
Being a true Pentax believer without any commercial interest, I would like to share my points & experiences to avoid any regret for the interest of all fellow Pantaxians.
1. When you add in the lope it make the whole set up so much bigger & longer, it is not the same feel you are going to like anymore.
2. Because of solving the glaring problem, you have to take care & invest an additional piece of optical item. (luckily it is not as costly as others EVF devices)
3. The size of the lope is almost as big as a standard kit zoom lens and is going to occupied a space slot in you camera bag, one of your other lens will got to go.
4. The whole ideas for people to like Pentax is it's compact & light weight design, making it big by adding lope is really defeating the purpose. while other brands have got a smarter solution.
5. The feel of looking into a lope on LCD is like sticking your head 6" in front of a household TV screen.
If the above issue does not bother you, then you are good to go for the K-01.
I wonder why LCD screen glareness has become a major issue. When we were using compact digital camera, it seem no one care about it. When it comes to K01, lots of huha broke out. Is it the expectation of the product is different, users' mindset, or they do not know the camera is meant for which segment.
I think it's a very simple decision making
- Love K01 but hate the glare and further investment - don't go for it
- Love K01 but hate the glare yet can't live without K01- go for it and buy the loupe or LCD hood (http://www.ebay.com/itm/LCD-Pop-Up-S...item3370ad2282)
- Love K01 but couldn't bother about the glare= congrats! your path is a lot straighter : )
Last edited by wtay0001; 31-03-2012 at 10:49 AM.
Point (4)...Love K01 and can't be bothered about anything else but make money from it....= buy 2 K01 !! Hahahah!!! I'm already so in love with it....so many possibilities.
Long time no see...
I think I am the best person to answer your questions/queries/concerns since I may be first to use the K-01 with a loupe:
1. Yes it makes it bigger and bulkier, but also greatly improves ergonomic! Mirrorless camera doesn't necessary equate to be small and handy. The more I use the K-01, the more it feels like a platform for accessories for various work from stills to videography.
In fact it's amazing how well it's been designed to 'expand'. The whole setup is also much simplified compares to one on a DSLR. Even with a video rig, it's still much smaller and more portable.
2. With the LCD Viewfinder, you get a Loupe/EVF at the same time. The 'total size' of the EVF is even bigger than one from a medium format camera. I find myself not needing focus peaking as often when I use the Loupe.
3. Nope. It's removable.
4. Yes and no. Again, mirrorless doesn't equate to being small. I have experience with most mirrorless system in the market, everything that relies on LCD sucks in our kind of sunlight. Then some try to sell you some expensive EVF....
5. Not until you try it. It sure looks weird not weirder than holding a camera at arms length when taking shots, right? Hahahaha!!!
At the end of the day, I focus on getting the image and the job done beautifully, and the K-01 shines in this aspect. I have the privilege of using anything from any brand to even medium formats...and each has its pros and cons. There's never a perfect camera. The K-01 would not have been attractive if it's prices above RM3k, but for a mere mid RM2k+, I can easily use it to outshine many cameras and DSLRs that cost a lot more. Have done that since K10D/20D days....want me to do it again? Hahahaha!!
Yes, it been long time we never met.....how come the Yoda never inform me about the return Jeda? Luckily i know it from the forum.
Thanks for your contribution on some of the good points & the constructive debate, what ever have contributed will be beneficial to all to have a clearer picture on pro & con of K-01 and is good their decision making.
The topic of discussion here is "would i regret buying k-01 than k-5?". I been giving it a thought about trade in K5 for K01,
After looking at both K01 & K5 again, my personal conclusion is: I have no regret for keeping K5. This is extremely subjective to personal preferences & shooting habit. Reasons being are ....:
1. Able to shoot like a fast gun cowboy, just pull my camera from the bag without adding anything and start shooting,
even under the mid day sun of Sahara desert.
2. In my opinion K5 optical view finder look much clearer & pleasant to me than LCD in K01.
Photography is a visual game, if you can't see properly, you can shoot properly, that's why viewing solution is always emphasized.
If you are a P&S style user that is a difference story, mostly can't be serious about it, regardless what segment of camera is being
3. I like the 7 fps speed, the weather seal, Hi ISO setting & the battery grip of K5.
4. K01 has got a much better handhold & balancing feel than Sony NX series, especially when come to tele-lenses. However,
K5 is one step better than K01.
5. I am not some kind of fashionable uncle, the design outfit of K01 means nothing to me.
Just like you said there is never a perfect camera, but K5 suited me better.
Hi Patrick bro!
You got it right, that's why I would never replace a DSLR with a mirrorless because they work differently for me.
However, comparing apple to apple among other mirrorless cameras, the K-01 stands tall because it's by far the most feature riched. Just today, I discovered about 'Interval Movie' which does time lapse video in-camera! Wow!!
The K-01 is a very capable 'off-duty' camera to most especially when one doesn't feel like lugging around a whole lot of gears...i.e. during family outings, etc. I've had a D3 before and it's no fun when my youngest daughter (was 3 years old then) told me to carry her with my heavy backpack on my back. Then again, I'm not any younger....
Yes, I'm back but this time in a rather different capacity. No longer a brand ambassador...but playing a more prominent role in helping to launch K-01.
Let's meet up again soon!
just now when shopping at Sunway Pyramid, saw a yellow K-01 at Enata, near Canon, they selling body + 40sx for RM 2,680, anywhere cheaper?
I had play around it & I love it, seem is time to sell off my Canon & Olympus for this baby...
I bought the K-01 preorder a week ago at Midvalley. Paid RM2699 with the 40mm lens and came with free gift as published and also lens cleaning kit and Pentax Crumpler look alike bag.
Infact before this was planning to purchase the Sony NEX5N. So far been very statisfied with the picture and video quality much better than my K100D which does not have video.
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)