Thread: Film nube shooting Thaipusam 2012

Thanks

Film nube shooting Thaipusam 2012

Advertise here
    photomalaysia@gmail.com

My first try at shooting BW film on my grandfather's 1950s Zeiss Ikoflex with Kodak TMax and TriX 120mm 400ISO. c&c welcomed.

Edward_Thaipusam2012021 (8 of 8).jpg
    Edward_Thaipusam2012015 (7 of 8).jpg
    Edward_Thaipusam2012013 (6 of 8).jpg
    Edward_Thaipusam2012012 (5 of 8).jpg
    Edward_Thaipusam2012011 (4 of 8).jpg
    Edward_Thaipusam2012005 (3 of 8).jpg
    Edward_Thaipusam2012002 (2 of 8).jpg
    Edward_Thaipusam2012001 (1 of 8).jpg

I've got a few questions I need to ask.

1.) Though some of the shots seems under-exposed by my eyes, the histogram suggested that they are perfectly exposed with a nice mountain on them without clipped highlights or blocked shadows. Is that normal with film? Do I need to pay less attention to the histogram?
    2.) With nicely exposed shots I get reasonably good contrast. However with shots I find badly exposed rather flat. But because the histogram suggests that it is well-exposed I find it rather difficult to increase the contrast with levels nor curves without loosing too much detail. Any suggestions for solution to this?
    3.) The first three shots were shot with T-Max I find it flat. The rest was shot with Tri-X, I prefer the contrast. Are those the characteristics of both film?
    4.) TMax is supposed to have finer grain according to kodak. However, in pic2, the blacks are grainier than I expect it to be. Is it normal?
    5.) The Tri-X seems to have a yellowish tint to it. Is it because of the developing process or because of the scan?

The transition from shooting digital to film has been somewhat interesting. I've enjoyed the experience thus far. The process has a calming effect, I don't feel inclined to force a shot when I don't have one. With digital I always feel like I need to make something out of nothing. I think this year will be my year of soul searching with film. There are lots to be learned. I hope that some of the film guys here can help me through this journey process.
    www.edward-khoo.com

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Re: Film nube shooting Thaipusam 2012

Quote Originally Posted by edwardkkg View Post
    My first try at shooting BW film on my grandfather's 1950s Zeiss Ikoflex with Kodak TMax and TriX 120mm 400ISO. c&c welcomed.

Edward_Thaipusam2012021 (8 of 8).jpg
    Edward_Thaipusam2012015 (7 of 8).jpg
    Edward_Thaipusam2012013 (6 of 8).jpg
    Edward_Thaipusam2012012 (5 of 8).jpg
    Edward_Thaipusam2012011 (4 of 8).jpg
    Edward_Thaipusam2012005 (3 of 8).jpg
    Edward_Thaipusam2012002 (2 of 8).jpg
    Edward_Thaipusam2012001 (1 of 8).jpg

I've got a few questions I need to ask.

1.) Though some of the shots seems under-exposed by my eyes, the histogram suggested that they are perfectly exposed with a nice mountain on them without clipped highlights or blocked shadows. Is that normal with film? Do I need to pay less attention to the histogram?

You mean the histogram you see from the scanner? My film camera does not has a histogram or LCD screen...

2.) With nicely exposed shots I get reasonably good contrast. However with shots I find badly exposed rather flat. But because the histogram suggests that it is well-exposed I find it rather difficult to increase the contrast with levels nor curves without loosing too much detail. Any suggestions for solution to this?

Sometimes you need to add some contrast. The scanners often produce low contrast images.

3.) The first three shots were shot with T-Max I find it flat. The rest was shot with Tri-X, I prefer the contrast. Are those the characteristics of both film?

Different films have different toes and shoulder characteristics. Tri-X usually exhibit higher local contrast than T-max 100.

4.) TMax is supposed to have finer grain according to kodak. However, in pic2, the blacks are grainier than I expect it to be. Is it normal?

Are you talking about T-max 100 or 400?

5.) The Tri-X seems to have a yellowish tint to it. Is it because of the developing process or because of the scan?

Look at the negatives, the whites should be clear with slight fog.

The transition from shooting digital to film has been somewhat interesting. I've enjoyed the experience thus far. The process has a calming effect, I don't feel inclined to force a shot when I don't have one. With digital I always feel like I need to make something out of nothing. I think this year will be my year of soul searching with film. There are lots to be learned. I hope that some of the film guys here can help me through this journey process.
    I have made the replies in blue.

Thanks

nicely done with a film cam man ~

Thanks

Great Share + Discussion.
    I Love Expired Films...

Thread Information