Thread: My Fuji X10 Short Review

Thanks

My Fuji X10 Short Review

Advertise here
    photomalaysia@gmail.com

Here’s my short review on the Fuji X10. This has been my latest muse. Do read it in a light hearted manner with a slight tinge or sarcasm I have been contemplating for ages now on getting a small digital compact camera that I could carry everywhere which looks good/retro, doesn’t weigh a tonne and doesn’t run on film!!! Of course the usual culprit that crossed my mind was the Panasonic LX5 or Canon S100.

Picture 65556.jpg

When the X100 was launched, it made waves everywhere but when the X10 was announced, there was much skepticism since it had a big shoe to fill in following the success of the X100. One should not compare the X10 with the X100 as they are both very different cameras. I love the X100 but for traveling and casual shots, a zoom lens is more useful. I think the main complain many had about the X10 was the small sensor and somewhat stupid optical viewfinder which doesn’t cover the full image taken. Let’s be frank. Whatever the X10 can do, the LX5 or G12 (heck even the S100) could do the same as well. It’s basically a consumer level camera with full manual functions so why pay an additional half a grand for the X10?

So let’s point out some of the short comings of the X10 that we around the internet:
    1 ) Stupid view finder with lousy coverage and no info. It’s essentially a peep hole.
    2 ) Expensive!!!!!!
    3 ) Ridiculously short battery life.
    4 ) Small sensor!!!!! No DOF control!!!!!
    5 ) White blob effect!!!!!!
    6 ) If you turn the ring fully to off, it doesn’t switch off.
    7 ) With my fat fingers, turning on the camera with the screw in hood is not something easy.
    8 ) The hood gets in the way of the flash but that’s pretty obvious.
    9 ) The cap is an utter joke and I foresee it coming loose after awhile not to mention that thing is quite costly so if you lose it, all the best.
    Last edited by daniel_lkk; 10-07-2012 at 02:00 PM.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/beautiful_oblivion/

Thanks

Re: My Fuji X10 Short Review

So why did I get it despite having a long list of short comings? For me it was purely for looks, beautiful fill flash and the amazing colors it produced but what really sealed it for me (after getting of course) was the controls. So hereís how I customized mine. The Fn button was left on default which selects the ISO. Since I donít intend to shoot raw on it, I set the RAW button to select the film simulation and basically thatís all you need. In full manual exposure, you can control both the aperture and shutter speed with the 2 dials depending on which you set it to which I find really useful. I remember shooting the LX5 for the first time and had no idea how to set my aperture and shutter speed. Did I mention how awesome the high ISO performance is for this little thing? At low ISOs itís just stunning and it captures details very very well. I shoot at 800 without hesitation and I will go all the way to 2500 or 3200 if I have to. Iím sure some will disagree with me but this is a small sensor camera.

7156332781_67a9f9508e_z.jpg
    First shot outside

Thanks

Why compare it to an APSC sensor when it was made not to compete with it? One more thing is the build quality. It feels quite solid and well made, definitely better built than the LX5 or S100 and it looks and feels better than the G12. I buy cameras to use and I use them until they die, break or gets stolen (which thankfully has never happened) so spending a couple of hundred extra over the LX5 or S100 is really not an issue. The lens is also a great bonus. It goes from f2 at the wide end right up to f2.8 at the long end. Probably the only compact that can beat this is the Olympus XZ 1. I donít really notice the white blob issue but maybe because mine was bought in Korea so it could be a different batch. Either way it doesnít bother me. For those who are considering one, get it with a spare battery. I got mine with the Fuji leather case and spare battery and cost probably what most people paid for a brand new G12 when it was first released at the RSP Overrated or not, it is up to you but I for one love my X10. Below are some examples. Do feel free to add any

7394069578_987109406d_z.jpg
    Somewhere I can't remember in Bangkok. Shot at ISO 800

7393867260_fa8d5fe6af_z.jpg
    From the rooftop of Ramada Encore, Bangkok

Thanks

Here's one in macro mode.

7393878596_a9a1da77d2_z.jpg
    One of the best beers I've had. This was flown in from Germany.

Thanks

Sorry I had to break it up into so many post. PM won't allow me to post everything in one and my internet connection is quite rubbish today. The next issue I'll tackle is the viewfinder. Though the coverage is only about 70-75% (i think), framing can still be done by placing your subjects 3 quarters starting from bottom right of the finder. So far I've had no issues and I still get relatively central framing. EVF is the new in thing but I've always enjoyed viewing through an optical finder and seeing my subjects live. When using live view, I usually set it to a 9 square grid with the leveler activated to help get my horizons straight. This of course is something new for me as I've not owned any other compacts prior to this. The issue of a small sensor is expected to keep the camera compact. Having an APSC sensor while maintaining a lens with an aperture from f2 to f2.8 would greatly increase the size of the whole camera. Having said that, at ISO 200 and below, I would say it's comparable to any entry DSLR.

7527358380_eb865c714e_z.jpg
    Esplanade Bridge, Singapore

Some say that the AF for the X10 is slow and I would agree.......if you were to compare it with a DSLR. Below is a panning shot with the camera set to continuous focus, AFC. In reality, the AF is very decent and having shot with my sister's S95, it is much better. Having the manual focus function is a novelty which I would probably never used. It is a distance scale adjustment similar to all other compacts with a non-ringed manual focus function. One thing that really sets the X10 apart is the zoom ring which I believe is the first for a compact? I did buy a third party hood ($8-$10 USD plus shipping i think) similar to the one made by Fuji for my X10 because I find the lens cap to be a real joke. The original cap is a nice touch and very well made but I don't think it's very practical. Like I've mentioned earlier, with prolong use I do see the issue of it dropping off since the insides are lined with some sort of felt-like material. The hood comes with an adapter which enables you to use any regular 52mm filters. I use a Nikon 52mm pinch cap as a cover.

7527215490_ef27b64907_z.jpg
    Orchard Road, Singapore

Thanks

This is not a real review, kind of why I need to own Fujiflim X10 . Is a lovely and light travel camera next to a DSLR. I was disappointed with the camera manual. It does not provide sufficient information for exploring the camera to the fullest. This camera has plenty of hidden potential. If you read this blog, you would understand what I mean. My jaw dropped when I saw such a lovely potrait image created using X10. Bottom line, if you understand your tools well, you are able to create lovely shots. Enjoy your lovely compact.

http://lindsaydobsonphotography.com/...her-hampshire/

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DGLow View Post
    This is not a real review, kind of why I need to own Fujiflim X10 . Is a lovely and light travel camera next to a DSLR. I was disappointed with the camera manual. It does not provide sufficient information for exploring the camera to the fullest. This camera has plenty of hidden potential. If you read this blog, you would understand what I mean. My jaw dropped when I saw such a lovely potrait image created using X10. Bottom line, if you understand your tools well, you are able to create lovely shots. Enjoy your lovely compact.

http://lindsaydobsonphotography.com/...her-hampshire/
    I visited the website and it doesn't say anything about the camera and secondly I'm not an avid portrait shooter. Understanding your tools is only one half of the equation. Placement of subject, lighting, post processing, all these play a major role when it comes to portrait photography. I'm sure you've seen the video of a professional glamor shoot with an iPhone. Her photos are amazing but bare in mind that she shoots for a living and she has an established method of post processing her shots. The vignette and blurring are a dead give away. There's no real point comparing my shots with hers. I bought the X10 with the intention of using it for casual snaps. What I've posted above are SOOC without any adjustments whatsoever except for resizing and cropping for the panning shot in CS3. I'm in no way putting this camera down in case you got me wrongly I'm a firm advocate of knowing your camera. Thanks for dropping by and sharing your thoughts

Thanks

Dan, i have a x10 as well and its wonderful to bits, my question is sometimes when i take pics inside a room ie: iso1600 above and my aperture is below 4, the pictures that comes out are really really soft.. are you having the same experience as well?
    Facebook: Aezran Hakim

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AezranHakim View Post
    Dan, i have a x10 as well and its wonderful to bits, my question is sometimes when i take pics inside a room ie: iso1600 above and my aperture is below 4, the pictures that comes out are really really soft.. are you having the same experience as well?
    Not that I have noticed. I will go back and look through if I have any images shot at ISO 1600 or higher

Thanks

Thanks dude!
    Facebook: Aezran Hakim

Thanks

Both are shot at ISO 1600 straight out of camera but for some reason they seem to lose some detail after resizing and uploading it up here on PM unless I upload to flickr then link it (like those above) but I'm too lazy for that today haha. They both look fine (actually better than fine) when viewed on the original file.

16002.jpg

16003.jpg

Now here's two more but this time at ISO 3200 again, both looks better before resizing.

16004.jpg

16005.jpg

Thanks

Thanks Daniel for a very well put writeup. Answers a few questions on my mind in my current choice for a compact.

Thread Information